Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Premier Open Crown

RJR

Here’s my silverbelly Premier Stratoliner:

433823db67fa35205ca6762a3703c711.jpg

0a7adf2e34f8670ad923e692a8953366.jpg

5413d5d27d8a03f0f3b2b63a71d02409.jpg

3e0457c9049aac3175fa2e813e40e6a5.jpg

2787a9bef9db860b3b85353741ccd094.jpg

de96482e0c05728821d454655c917198.jpg

I also hesitated and missed out on another Premier on eBay. It was in Caribou and had a BIN with shipping that was just over $100. Even in my larger size they are out there on the used market at great prices.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good looking,the color is good.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Do you know what has a higher crown, the strat or the Campdraft? I think the strat's brim is slightly smaller if I remember correctly.

I got my Campdraft from everythingaustralian, it took about a week from AU to Europe (no taxes). The price is only US$99. You could consider that instead of the $$$$ Stetson. I don't think the 'Deluxe' CD is much different from regular, same rabbit felt.

In fact, I bought the CD after returning a Stetson Stratoliner which I did not like at all (too thin, too light, too stiff). The Campdraft is slightly better in that sense (still stiff), but I am sure it can withstand bad weather MUCH better.

I love the hat except for 1) the color (mine is green, so I seldom wear it - what was I thinking LOL!) - but they do have the CD SilverBelly in stock, I just checked. And 2) I wouldn't order a bound edge hat anymore, because the Campdraft crown seems too big on me, mostly because of the thin ribbon, which I can't replace because the color wouldn't be the same as the edge.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
I saw a YouTube video comparing and contrasting the Campdraft vs the Campdraft Deluxe and the guy proves that the former is a lot softer than the latter. I was going to get the Deluxe assuming it'd be super soft...but think I may get the regular Campdraft. Thank you for the response- super helpful to me.

You can get a lot of hat of $245. I bought one of my Premiers new when One 2 Mini Ranch had a good sale, otherwise, they were all used and right about $100 each.

As for the Akubra, the only thing I like better with the DeLuxe Campdraft is the sweat. I actually prefer the felt on the cheaper standard grade.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
I also like the Stratoliner Premier's silverbelly color better too. Not sure I want to spend an extra Benjamin on it (compared to the Campdraft) though just because of that. I have an Akubra "Fedora" in dark brown with that cool trolley button thing. I LOVE this. It's perfect to me - the felt is beautiful and super soft, the brim is perfect - the crown. All i want is the "Fedora" style in a silverbelly color. That's all. I wish I could write Akubra and ask for a custom job.

The Premier Stratoliners are Royal DeLuxe quality open crown hats and of a descent quality. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone call their felt thin, in fact, the felt is thick winter weight stuff. The Stetson’s felt has a decent hand and takes a crease well, and in my opinion, considerably nicer than the felt Akubra uses. Now if you are talking about the Stetson Royal Stratoliner that’s a whole different story (that felt is pretty nasty).

I also prefer a bound brim. As long as the binding comes close to matching the color of the felt it looks fine to have a ribbon color in a contrasting color (this is very common on fedoras). Bound brims also help with the shape and give hats a more finished appearance.

I own both hats and the Stetson is my favorite of them due to the felt quality, but the Akubra is admittedly, and surprisingly for the price, finished better. I also like the color of Stetson’s Silverbelly better than Akubra’s.... actually I like that they are different so it makes sense to own them both but the Akubra is more sand colored with stronger brown tones. I also reach for the Akubra when the weather is nasty, but the Stetson might shrug it off just as well. Akubra has the reputation for thriving in harsh conditions.

As the OP was interested in an open crown Stratoliner, I can say that the Premier is a nice hat with flaws. I do not think it is worth full MSRP, but if the price is right he shouldn’t be disappointed. Now if you want to talk about the Stetson Excellent Stratoliner..... :)

I saw a YouTube video comparing and contrasting the Campdraft vs the Campdraft Deluxe and the guy proves that the former is a lot softer than the latter. I was going to get the Deluxe assuming it'd be super soft...but think I may get the regular Campdraft. Thank you for the response- super helpful to me.

The video you saw wasn’t by Moontheloon was it? Impressive beard, lots of hats, hat boxes, and drums? The real takeaway from Moon’s and other’s experiences is that there is little consistency in Akubra. Moon’s Silverbelly was stiff and nasty. Mine is soft to and mellow. You won’t have much of an idea of what the hat will be like until you receive it.

My Campdraft in Silverbelly:

1c36be853c7290dc9cb4e8fcc846fa23.jpg

44eaed9f9ddb846a699b2d7822020138.jpg

a04dff7fdd44b1804a98b4316bcad6a5.jpg

ff03cc86720c538164dbbcfa0b044361.jpg

I like the hat, but if I’m planning on wearing it I put my hat stretcher in it overnight. The leather sweat has shrunk more than I had hoped. Bummer. Akubra.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Thank you!!!! It's this guy - probably same one - as he's got quite a beard :)

The video you saw wasn’t by Moontheloon was it? Impressive beard, lots of hats, hat boxes, and drums? The real takeaway from Moon’s and other’s experiences is that there is little consistency in Akubra. Moon’s Silverbelly was stiff and nasty. Mine is soft to and mellow. You won’t have much of an idea of what the hat will be like until you receive it.

I like the hat, but if I’m planning on wearing it I put my hat stretcher in it overnight. The leather sweat has shrunk more than I had hoped. Bummer. Akubra.

Thank you!!!! It's this guy - probably same one - as he's got quite a beard :)

Yep, that’s Anthony aka Moontheloon here on the Lounge. He definitely knows his stuff and he owns, or has owned, more incredible hats than I can ever hope to. He doesn’t suffer fools, but he’s a genuinely nice guy with lots of expertise to share.

In my mind, the only reason the get the more expensive Campdraft is for the better sweat and that isn’t enough to justify it to me. Of course, some colors are only offered in the higher grade so if that’s what you want (moonstone Campdraft for me please) your stuck.

Good luck,
Brent

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Thank you again!!! Yeah, I couldn't careless about the sweat. I have some nice baseball hats - custom made by Stockbridge Sewing Works and she uses a super soft, "Bentley" leather. It's nice but my forehead can't tell the difference at all. I almost pulled the trigger on a silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe from hatsdirect. It was going to cost me $224.49 with shipping. I told Trudy to hold on. I wasn't 100% sure about it and didn't want to spend that much on something I was unsure of. Not easy to exchange from Detroit to Australia ;-)

Yep, that’s Anthony aka Moontheloon here on the Lounge. He definitely knows his stuff and he owns, or has owned, more incredible hats than I can ever hope to. He doesn’t suffer fools, but he’s a genuinely nice guy with lots of expertise to share.

In my mind, the only reason the get the more expensive Campdraft is for the better sweat and that isn’t enough to justify it to me. Of course, some colors are only offered in the higher grade so if that’s what you want (moonstone Campdraft for me please) your stuck.

Good luck,
Brent

Thank you again!!! Yeah, I couldn't careless about the sweat. I have some nice baseball hats - custom made by Stockbridge Sewing Works and she uses a super soft, "Bentley" leather. It's nice but my forehead can't tell the difference at all. I almost pulled the trigger on a silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe from hatsdirect. It was going to cost me $224.49 with shipping. I told Trudy to hold on. I wasn't 100% sure about it and didn't want to spend that much on something I was unsure of. Not easy to exchange from Detroit to Australia ;-)

Are you going through everything Australian? $110 plus shipping.

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/campdraft-hat.html

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
I am still waiting on a Moonstone colored CD (CampDraft) Deluxe that I ordered on Feb 7. I think the Australian price was $225au but the US price I paid after shipping and everything was $175 approx.

I am also desperately wanting a Premier Stratoliner as well though! I like the CD *and* the Strat silverbelly, but I think I prefer the lighter Stetson version.

I really like my light natural hemp Stratoliner, thus I want its felt counterpart.

Alas I'm rambling. Basically, to the OP, I'm in the same boat. I've read mostly positive things about the Premier...enough that I want one. I've been checking the classifieds but haven't found one yet. Thankfully I'm a normal size, 7 1/4. I'll probably order from One 2 Mini if I pull the trigger. I'm trying to not order anything else until my Moonstone CD arrives... But it might still be a few more weeks!

Then again... If the CD is really only $100USD from Everything Australian that's a steal at $100 cheaper than the Premier Strat for a stellar hat. I wear my Bushman in the rain all the time, hike in it, etc. It's taken a beating and begs for more! Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
One last question... What is a softer hat? The campdraft or the premier stratoliner? And thank you - you've been super helpful. Now, I am definitely thinking the Premier Strat... the crown seems to be a hair smaller and the silverbelly, a hair lighter. Both things super important to me...even if I have to pay an extra hundred, it'll be worth it.

One last question... What is a softer hat? The campdraft or the premier stratoliner? And thank you - you've been super helpful. Now, I am definitely thinking the Premier Strat... the crown seems to be a hair smaller and the silverbelly, a hair lighter. Both things super important to me...even if I have to pay an extra hundred, it'll be worth it.

For the most part, the Stetson should be softer/smoother. However, Akubra stiffness can be all over the map. You saw Moonie's video. I have three Akubras, and inconsistency is the only thing consistent a out them.

Also, don't let the CD crown height turn you away having more crown height to work with on your crease is a good thing. You can always push the CD down to the height you want.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk