Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Streamliner Information Gathering Thread

Ribook

New in Town
Yesterday I started a thread in the "Ask a question..." area of the site about the style of a Stetson hat I couldn't identify, and today I was able to follow up with what appears to be evidence the hat is a Streamliner. It looks like there are only two other mentions of a Stetson Streamliner on this site: Here https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/please-help-identify-my-stetson.26377/#post-504730 where in 2008 a question was raised about an ebay purchase that seemed to be a Stetson Streamliner, and in 2013 in a "Still Life with Hats" thread https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/still-life-with-hats.23956/page-12#post-1655927 where there is a photo of a Stetson Streamliner sitting on a doctor's bag.

Oh, there also is this thread https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fa-mallory-ten-streamliner-size-7-1-4-minty-fresh.67073/ about a Mallory Streamliner that looks very similar to the Stetson in question. Relevant? Frunobulax informed me that Stetson bought Mallory in the late 40s and there might be some connection there.

I'm posting photos of my Streamliner here and hoping there might be something to learn about this Stetson style from some of you out there. Based on the "evidence" as shown in the photos, I'm thinking this is a mid- to late-50s (possibly early 60s) hat given the crest, size tag, and leather sweatband with an embossed free edge. It's obviously a Royal Stetson, and I can tell you it is very light weight. Here are some photos and I know the color is all over the place; the second image offers the most accurate color representation (identified on the inventory tag as 'nut'). Thanks in advance!
Stet9.jpg
Stet8.jpg
Stet5.jpg
Stet4.jpg
Stet3.jpg
Stet2.jpg
Stet1.jpg

Last edited:
Your hat is very late ‘50s or early ‘60s. My understanding is that Stetson bought Mallory in the mid 1940s so it’s not likely they had old Mallory stock 15 years later, but who knows? After the merger, Mallory did continue to make their own hats, but later they were just rebranded Stetsons.

A great many vintage hat don’t have model names, but yours resembles a Wanderer. It’s a nice hat and the mystery adds to the allure.

Yesterday I started a thread in the "Ask a question..." area of the site about the style of a Stetson hat I couldn't identify, and today I was able to follow up with what appears to be evidence the hat is a Streamliner. It looks like there are only two other mentions of a Stetson Streamliner on this site: Here https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/please-help-identify-my-stetson.26377/#post-504730 where in 2008 a question was raised about an ebay purchase that seemed to be a Stetson Streamliner, and in 2013 in a "Still Life with Hats" thread https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/still-life-with-hats.23956/page-12#post-1655927 where there is a photo of a Stetson Streamliner sitting on a doctor's bag.

Oh, there also is this thread https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fa-mallory-ten-streamliner-size-7-1-4-minty-fresh.67073/ about a Mallory Streamliner that looks very similar to the Stetson in question. Relevant? Frunobulax informed me that Stetson bought Mallory in the late 50s and speculated this Stetson might be a holdover from the Mallory line. ??

I'm posting photos of my Streamliner here and hoping there might be something to learn about this Stetson style from some of you out there. Based on the "evidence" as shown in the photos, I'm thinking this is a mid- to late-50s (possibly early 60s) hat given the crest, size tag, and leather sweatband with an embossed free edge. It's obviously a Royal Stetson, and I can tell you it is very light weight. Here are some photos and I know the color is all over the place; the second image offers the most accurate color representation (identified on the inventory tag as 'nut'). Thanks in advance!
View attachment 181432 View attachment 181433 View attachment 181434 View attachment 181435 View attachment 181436 View attachment 181437 View attachment 181438

No, I didn't. Brent is right. I said Stetson purchased Mallory in the 40s. Your hat is late 50s or so. I speculated Stetson may have recycled the name, not that it was a late 50s Mallory.

Also, what more information do you need on this hat? You have what appears to be a late 50s Stetson. It's likely a nice hat and you should enjoy it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Ribook

New in Town
No, I didn't. Brent is right. I said Stetson purchased Mallory in the 40s. Your hat is late 50s or so. I speculated Stetson may have recycled the name, not that it was a late 50s Mallory.

Also, what more information do you need on this hat? You have what appears to be a late 50s Stetson. It's likely a nice hat and you should enjoy it.

I apologize for my error and/or misrepresentation of your ideas in my attempt to re-state here the information you offered in a different thread. I'll edit my initial post to correct the error.

As for what more information I need, there isn't anything I've come across on this site in my very brief time here that suggests 'need' is driving much of what goes on here. I'm curious, that's all.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Oh, there also is this thread https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fa-mallory-ten-streamliner-size-7-1-4-minty-fresh.67073/ about a Mallory Streamliner that looks very similar to the Stetson in question. Relevant? Frunobulax informed me that Stetson bought Mallory in the late 40s and there might be some connection there.

View attachment 181432 View attachment 181433 View attachment 181434 View attachment 181435 View attachment 181436 View attachment 181437 View attachment 181438
In all a cool hat. Reminiscent of a Playboy and Bantam. Very nice proportions and color.
The “Streamliner” tag adds mystery to the hat which we all love. The referenced past posts do suggest a hat seldom seen so bonus points all around.
Are there any more tags, labels behind the liner or sweatband? How about on the inside of the sweatband if it is turned out? Any more information about that hat can be found there.
Is it a mantle piece?? Idk
But it is a fine and interesting hat that i’d wear proudly!
Maybe some other’s will pop up. Who knows.
Thanks
Bowen

I apologize for my error and/or misrepresentation of your ideas in my attempt to re-state here the information you offered in a different thread. I'll edit my initial post to correct the error.

As for what more information I need, there isn't anything I've come across on this site in my very brief time here that suggests 'need' is driving much of what goes on here. I'm curious, that's all.
If you're curious, I would suggest you spend some time looking through the "Links to Important Hat Forum Threads" sticky. Look through the historical Stetson and Mallory ads, perhaps you'll find an ad.

You have make, quality level, a decent idea of when it was made/sold, and what is likely the model name. Plus a few other threads to pull for more clues. That's usually considered a pretty successful inquiry in most cases around here. .

Ribook

New in Town
In all a cool hat. Reminiscent of a Playboy and Bantam. Very nice proportions and color.
The “Streamliner” tag adds mystery to the hat which we all love. The referenced past posts do suggest a hat seldom seen so bonus points all around.
Are there any more tags, labels behind the liner or sweatband? How about on the inside of the sweatband if it is turned out? Any more information about that hat can be found there.
Is it a mantle piece?? Idk
But it is a fine and interesting hat that i’d wear proudly!
Maybe some other’s will pop up. Who knows.
Thanks
Bowen
Thanks, Bowen. No other tags or labels behind the sweatband or liner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ