Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Surplus

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I was torn between putting this in the "new hats" thread and here.... Since I saw this thread pop up today I feel compelled to put my newest score in the Stetson thread.

'50's Stetson Twenty Five Open Road.
Pretty pristine condition if I may say so... I'm loving it.

Where I love most all brands and most all vintage hats... It is pretty safe to say that I am a Stetson guy above all... Just love everything about them.

I hope you enjoy these few pictures.

3731c2ce289f47fbc2429d683015f4f4.jpg

e65a96eb0cd96f1405ebb6679c4ca3cc.jpg

e2da3850422367f9bd725339f4f74a3d.jpg

73998be391134a1a02ad6775b6261785.jpg

be68a63521fd6a3b9b12a1a001f25231.jpg

409489c2d195e3b90d495a425a4ff449.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clintfisher

One of the Regulars
25, so nice! I love my 20 Sovereign, such a great open road.

I was torn between putting this in the "new hats" thread and here.... Since I saw this thread pop up today I feel compelled to put my newest score in the Stetson thread.

'50's Stetson Twenty Five Open Road.
Pretty pristine condition if I may say so... I'm loving it.

Where I love most all brands and most all vintage hats... It is pretty safe to say that I am a Stetson guy above all... Just love everything about them.

I hope you enjoy these few pictures.

clintfisher

One of the Regulars
4J6Q5w6.jpg

IWYb5GN.jpg

VFArZkh.jpg

Cek6ViU.jpg

j4WShXe.jpg

Man guys, I got this Whippet and count me in on the Whippet bandwagon. This hat is such a combo of class and OG gangster. The felt just does whatever I want it to, this is really a FUN lid. She needs a bit of reblocking love but such a great lid. I think I may have a Whippet problem.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
MOON: Where the heck are you scoring all these PRISTINE hats...? That open crown (with a trolly no less), is absolutely gorgeous! And the color...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
MOON: Where the heck are you scoring all these PRISTINE hats...? That open crown (with a trolly no less), is absolutely gorgeous! And the color...

Yes, do tell...!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ha! you guys are funny

a few different places

I've become pretty tight with a few cats who are waste deep in the game and are heavy sellers ... they will often hit me up when they come across something in my size and see if I want it before they put it up for sale ... they also know I'm a Stetson fiend

that particular Twenty Five was sitting in one guys father in laws closet ... the guy bought it in the 50s and just never wore it

I basically stole it from him as well ... this guy is not really a hat dealer and I think maybe he looked up some prices after selling me the hat because he emailed me saying something like .... wow you really got a good price on that hat huh ?

We should start hangin aroun together...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, a support group. I know, we'll call it The Fedora Lounge!

Moon, I too have been wondering how you've gotten so hooked up. Heck, I spend spare time in thrift stores and antique malls, cruising eBay and the like, and my finds are few and far between. My wife also keeps an eye out for me at estate sales and her meanderings through vintage shops. Pickins are slim, at least in this part of Ohio. Perhaps I need to try to find some dealers like you - networking works for the career, why not the hobby?

In the meantime I demand you post that Dorian Gray-like picture of aging hats that's in your closet, allowing these items to stay pristine.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, I too have been wondering how you've gotten so hooked up. Heck, I spend spare time in thrift stores and antique malls, cruising eBay and the like, and my finds are few and far between. My wife also keeps an eye out for me at estate sales and her meanderings through vintage shops. Pickins are slim, at least in this part of Ohio. Perhaps I need to try to find some dealers like you - networking works for the career, why not the hobby?

In the meantime I demand you post that Dorian Gray-like picture of aging hats that's in your closet, allowing these items to stay pristine.

Yeah, and who are your "dealers" connections...?

being a working musician for most of my life networking is just in my veins... I've always found that is it much easier to conduct business when on a personal level with someone.
a little kindness and effort sometimes makes pieces come to me instead of waiting on an auction to end and battling snipe bots... which I still do as well sometimes

but aside from that ... at vintage clothes shops I'll become friendly with owners and leave them my card in case something comes in and even call them periodically to check in.
I get to know the people from the company that runs many estate sales in my area and they will put things aside for me .
I get to know the guys at the local hat shops.
I email and text semi regularly with guys from ebay, etsy, and even some from this message board.
... and then through some of those guys I may meet some other people.
once I ventured down the rabbit hole many of these avenues just sort of presented themselves.

you know... always planting the seed and making sure they know my size and my interests and seeing how the family is

after a sale or two they know you are serious and go out of their way to help you out

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Theres nothin like the personal touch! Right?

seriously there isn't

it is the only way to do business in my opinion

there is a vintage clothes store near me in Somerville NJ called "Incogneeto" ... they almost always have really nice vintage hats coming in at very affordable prices... not always minty and not always my size... but every now and then a gem pops up.
I became friendly with the owner and he introduced me to the woman who owns a costume shop where he gets some of his stuff.
so after getting to know her she shows me to the upstairs room where she keeps the higher priced stuff ... and there on the shelf was a 30's Penneys Marathon and a 40's Stetson Stratoliner ... both in boxes.

of course I left with them and was given a great price after hooking her up with another vintage shop in the area looking to do business

my mom always told me two things

one hand washes the other then both hands wash the face ... and the squeaky wheel gets the grease

thanks mom

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
seriously there isn't

it is the only way to do business in my opinion

there is a vintage clothes store near me in Somerville NJ called "Incogneeto" ... they almost always have really nice vintage hats coming in at very affordable prices... not always minty and not always my size... but every now and then a gem pops up.
I became friendly with the owner and he introduced me to the woman who owns a costume shop where he gets some of his stuff.
so after getting to know her she shows me to the upstairs room where she keeps the higher priced stuff ... and there on the shelf was a 30's Penneys Marathon and a 40's Stetson Stratoliner ... both in boxes.

of course I left with them and was given a great price after hooking her up with another vintage shop in the area looking to do business

my mom always told me two things

one hand washes the other then both hands wash the face ... and the squeaky wheel gets the grease

thanks mom

Nice Moon. I sometimes used to do the Vintage Shop thing in the early and mid '80s, when I managed a 8pc Swing/Rhythm n Blues type band. We used to dress sorta period style. To bad I wasn't into hats then...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24