Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Surplus

Stetson 3X Quality with back bow ribbon in what I would call spruce green, just a little less blue than blue grass green. The true color is hard to photograph with just an iPad digital camera. The Mode Edge brim is 2-1/8" wide, ribbon is 1-7/8" wide & sweatband is 1-7/8" wide.

2usfma9.jpg

1z51bsy.jpg

122c8qo.jpg

2mqn3a0.jpg

aka8oj.jpg

Thanks Tommy. I thought it had been rolled & those were crimp marks, not stitches. No sign of stitching or crimping from the bottom.

2ldjcpc.jpg

Not the Mode Edge or the SELV-EDGE, it's most likely the Cavart Edge:

"The overwelt is first glued down, then stitched to hold it in place, and once the glue has cured, the stitches are removed."

Tango Yankee said:

"On Stetsons I have with a Mode-Edge the edge looks like a Cav-Edge, i.e., a smooth transition from the folded edge to the brim as it was felted together. On the other hand, one I came across last week with a Selv-Edge had an edge that looked like an overwelt edge without the stitching. The edge of the brim did not appear to be felted back into the brim at all, no smooth transition. Just the felt folded over and secured down somehow. "

Cheers,
Tom

"This could be an "Ah ha!" moment. Was the Selv-Edge you saw a later model hat? That could explain the revival of the Selv-Edge name by applying it to a "stuck edge" hat. Same as the revival of "Cavart Edge" was applied to a stuck edge hat. The overwelt is first glued down, then stitched to hold it in place, and once the glue has cured, the stitches are removed."

Brad

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-selv-edge-tell-me-everything-that-you-know.37541/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24