Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Turf Club

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Bowen. The block number looks like 307 ?. I can't make out the last digit if it is one. Justin's 1930's Turf Club a page back has a nice clear typed re-order tag with the block number 307.
Hey Robt:
I think i’d go with 307 on your’s too, since it’s the same as Justin’s.
I own that one of Justin’s now. It was a gift from Max. It has a 2 1/4” underwelt brim which is odd compared to my other’s 3” brims and to your Turf Clubs.
Also, the block number on one of the 3” RD is a stamped 702.
It’s always interesting to me the differences in the same model hat over time that Stetson did. You just never know.
B

40Cal

One Too Many
Hey Robt:
I think i’d go with 307 on your’s too, since it’s the same as Justin’s.
I own that one of Justin’s now. It was a gift from Max. It has a 2 1/4” underwelt brim which is odd compared to my other’s 3” brims and to your Turf Clubs.
Also, the block number on one of the 3” RD is a stamped 702.
It’s always interesting to me the differences in the same model hat over time that Stetson did. You just never know.
B
Glad to know you ended up with that Turf Club, Bowen. It's a beauty! Very nice guy that Max!
I have three of these Turf hats now , each from a different decade. They have more differences than similarities I think.

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Glad to know you ended up with that Turf Club, Bowen. It's a beauty! Very nice guy that Max!
I have three of these Turf hats now , each from a different decade. They have more differences than similarities I think.
Yeah, Stetson was good for that. They often used a name for multiple styles of hat. Often there was no rhyme or reason to the use of the names. It seems that only some of their named hats were similar in style thru the ages. Open Road and Whippet, for instance, were pretty similar thru the decades. But many others were not. Even the Playboy was wildly different at times.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Respectfully I would like to add a green Turf Club to the the thread.

Today I was out in a vintage late 40's Stetson Royal De Luxe Turf Club. "The hat is part of the man."

i-TGN9zvd-M.jpg

This hat hue is Covert Green as per this 1948 Saturday Evening Post advertisement.

i-vmGQGKR-M.jpg

Today a white gas bath, brim scrubbing, a lot of steam, brushing and smoothing of the felt was need to put this hat ready to be on the hat rack. Like you you folks experiences with the early versions of this hat, the felt while being of medium thickness, it is just a delight to crease and uncrease. After the cleaning/steaming the hat takes a crease easily. Make a center dent then open it, crease it to a diamond then open it and then a C crease, but will come back to an open crown easily. The sharp crown pinch took some effort to pull back smooth, but it worked. The medium felts are hard to pull sharp creases out as the thicker felt "folds" and remembers the strong crease. Steaming and massaging the felt in my fingers while on a block was the way I could gently "pounce" the felt back into a more smooth surface. I am pleased at how it mostly worked.

i-TL5CpNK-M.jpg

i-kZW64mb-M.jpg

The liner shows some age. Additionally the foil on the leather does show human wear. Royal De Luxe indeed! The hat was sold at Woodward and Lothrop in Washington. This is Washington DC. WL was a department store headquartered in Washington that opened in 1887.

i-FxMgdPw-M.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read and see my Turf Club in Covert Green.

Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -

Last edited:
My Turf Club is hard used, but perhaps worth the effort and cost of a refurbishment. The felt is super soft and limp. The liner is missing. The sweatband threads have popped on a significant part of its length, but it looks like it could be re-sewn. There is a weak spot in the felt at the pinch, but it’s not yet a hole.

If anyone wants to take on this project send me a PM and let’s see what we can do.

2C3696E3-6105-43FF-A705-3C4DFDD4A3C0.jpeg
AC2EE74B-8CB1-408C-BF10-A4AE6321979B.jpeg
CA732286-03ED-4C70-8032-18424AFCBEDE.jpeg
1A688162-E066-44C7-9216-C6C5C42B0DD2.jpeg
4F1319DD-1850-42F9-869D-C69C806A2C7B.jpeg
C2AA5590-DE12-4627-9E9F-375C63CC462A.jpeg
BDCEF74F-D1D8-45F6-BAC8-6A3609B81BD0.jpeg
4361D8AF-FB4E-4888-B0F7-18272C0DA3A6.jpeg
46597CD0-07FD-4535-85BE-1470D7C0B29A.jpeg
FD30447B-7638-4F84-AF72-BA5B5769F1AE.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads