Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetsons in the mines of Colorado

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Mines of Senior Stetson

stetson_1950.jpg

stetson_1.jpg

stetson_2.jpg

stetson_3.jpg

(I've added this link to the OR guild for reference purposes.)

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Back in 1986, the ROTC department managed to use some of the recruiting funds to purchase a bunch of the Stetson's for wear by the ROTC scholarship students and thus attempt to revive the Senior Stetson tradition. I was given this task as one of the Senior ROTC students. The basic process involved collecting three "bids" to fulfill our contract. As I recall, I actually obtained the hats from a corner western store in downtown Golden that has since vanished, but I took them to the Sheplers store off I-25 to have them all creased to that square block that is shown in the photos...that was the traditional Mines crease. I think the order was 20 or 24 hats. I still hope that somewhere in one of my boxes I have my Mines Stetson still packed away. I came across in a number of years ago before I had retired from the military and it was looking stained and somewhat crunched...but I certainly did not toss it out. I know I have a yearbook with some of the Stetson photos in there and I'm sure I have one photo of my sitting up on the M on graduation day with my hat and my bottle of Dom Perignon...I'll post it if I find it.

K

kpreed

Another tradition that seems to have lost appeal up here. I hope it is not forever though. Thanks for the good article.:eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
XPLSV said:
I know I have a yearbook with some of the Stetson photos in there and I'm sure I have one photo of my sitting up on the M on graduation day with my hat and my bottle of Dom Perignon...I'll post it if I find it.

That would be absolutely great! For me, this was a random find, but for you, it's part of local history. I'd love to see your photos.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Graduation Day from Colorado School of Mines

I did find a couple photos of my Mines Senior Stetson. The first is the best I have of the hat from the little instamatic from back in 1987...the hat looks in so much better condition than the last time I saw it surface in one of my military moves so many years ago :( You cannot see the top of the bash, but is was pretty much the square one that is pictured in one of the posted article shots. The second picture was taken from on top of the "M" looking towards town. One tradition that still strives at Mines is the freshman carrying a 10 pound rock from the campus below up the Lookout Mountain road and plunking it down on top of the "M." Actually, we start on the road and then cut up a ravine, rather than follow the road around the switchback. the "M" itself is on Mount Zion and it is also illuminated. The "M" gets whitewashed by the freshman at this time (or is it actually the freshman getting whitewashed by the upper classmen???). In the spring, graduating seniors whitewash the M, but there are no rocks involved. I went up the day prior to the graduation ceremony and got my rock back (as near as I could figure where I left it back in 1982). The rock traveled to Europe and back, across country on numerous military change of station moves, and I actually know where that darn thing is at the moment. I need to find that Stetson!
seniorstetson1.jpg

seniorstetson2.jpg

Oh...I should also add that the scales were rigged and the rocks were all probably closer to 15 pounds...:eusa_doh:

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
How cool to put an firsthand story and pictures to this post. What a group of people this is:eusa_clap Thanks XPLSV:eusa_clap

arabianmochasanani

New in Town
I just discovered this forum. I am new to hats. I'm a Colorado School of Mines alumnus and did not order my Senior Stetson when I had the chance. Unfortunately, the tradition is no longer held and a lot of folks at CSM aren't familiar with it.

The link above to www.alumnifriends.mines.edu doesn't work, and the photos you posted are no longer showing up. I would appreciate if you could post your photos again or add the name or model so I can order one if they still make it. Do you remember what vendor or local store it was ordered from?

I've been recommended to Boot Barn, which carries the Stetson Open Road, but it doesn't have that square block that's the signature of the Senior Stetson. I don't want just a similar style, but the identical model I would've received had I ordered 20 years ago, if possible. Is it really just a modified Open Road? Is that kind of modification something that I can request from any hat retailer?

I see an old photo here: https://libguides.mines.edu/CSM-History-Roadshow/WhatIsThis. Is that what yours looks like too? That's a light one, and I see Stetson makes a black Open Road. Did you have a choice of color when you ordered, or should only the light one be made into a Senior Stetson?

Very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I just discovered this forum. I am new to hats. I'm a Colorado School of Mines alumnus and did not order my Senior Stetson when I had the chance. Unfortunately, the tradition is no longer held and a lot of folks at CSM aren't familiar with it.

The link above to www.alumnifriends.mines.edu doesn't work, and the photos you posted are no longer showing up. I would appreciate if you could post your photos again or add the name or model so I can order one if they still make it. Do you remember what vendor or local store it was ordered from?

I've been recommended to Boot Barn, which carries the Stetson Open Road, but it doesn't have that square block that's the signature of the Senior Stetson. I don't want just a similar style, but the identical model I would've received had I ordered 20 years ago, if possible. Is it really just a modified Open Road? Is that kind of modification something that I can request from any hat retailer?

I see an old photo here: https://libguides.mines.edu/CSM-History-Roadshow/WhatIsThis. Is that what yours looks like too? That's a light one, and I see Stetson makes a black Open Road. Did you have a choice of color when you ordered, or should only the light one be made into a Senior Stetson?

Likely your best bet is to obtain a clear picture and commission one from a custom hat maker.

I doubt Stetson made them their own model. If the photo you linked to is what you’re after, it does indeed look like a Stetson Open Road with a telescope crease. Todays Open Road doesn’t have the same dimensions and shape as those from the past, and they come with a factory pressed crown shape. You might have trouble getting the crease in the photo with the lower crowns of the modern hat. You could try for a vintage hat, make do with the modern dimensions and their limitations, or commission a custom hat from a hatter.

316BE125-9F96-4CDC-AFE2-4C3DCF11536A.jpeg

Welcome, but you are trying to elicit information from a 14 yr old post however the poster last logged in during Feb of this yr. Should he do so again perhaps we can draw his attention to your post & questions by directing this @XPLSV .

I think I know the times & feelings of accomplishment you are trying to get back to & recreate & I don't think any custom commission or recreased Open Road is going to get you there. Perhaps you can locate an original Senior hat thru the alumni association or acquire more info thru the libraries Student Life Special Collection?

I went thru the same feelings over a ring once.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Watson's offers a take on this hat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy