Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve S M-422a Build Thread

Deacon211

One Too Many
Ah, very soon. I got the jacket back last week but I've been sicker than a dog and haven't gotten out to pose. The adjustments worked like a champ though. This is the best fitting 422a that I have ever had.

Pics as soon as I'm back up on my feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Technonut

Practically Family
Ah, very soon. I got the jacket back last week but I've been sicker than a dog and haven't gotten out to pose. The adjustments worked like a champ though. This is the best fitting 422a that I have ever had.

I'm glad all worked out for you.. :) I also sent my AN-J-3 in for basically the same alterations. However, mine didn't work out quite as well. I sent it back in, along with my G&B M422-A (Copy of the G&F M422-A pattern) to nail-down the fit. I asked Steve for a total remake instead of tearing into the original again, the same as I would have with Aero, Wested, etc.. The AN is different than the M422-A due to the epaulets, and the pocket placement was not done as low as the original, which bothered me.

Hopefully, I will be updating my build thread soon with the remake. With the G&B fit jacket, and previous niggles made aware of, it should be the jacket I envisioned when originally ordered. :) I must say that Steve has been a total gentleman throughout this. I trust his work enough to have sent in my Good Wear Perry A-2 for better fit alterations as well. ;)

Hope you feel better soon..

Last edited:

Dracorex

Familiar Face

I hope you feel better soon. I recently was sick myself and still haven't quite got over it.

Dracorex

Familiar Face
I'm glad all worked out for you.. :) I also sent my AN-J-3 in for basically the same alterations. However, mine didn't work out quite as well. I sent it back in, along with my G&B M422-A (Copy of the G&F M422-A pattern) to nail-down the fit. I asked Steve for a total remake instead of tearing into the original again, the same as I would have with Aero, Wested, etc.. The AN is different than the M422-A due to the epaulets, and the pocket placement was not done as low as the original, which bothered me.

Hopefully, I will be updating my build thread soon with the remake. With the G&B fit jacket, and previous niggles made aware of, it should be the jacket I envisioned when originally ordered. :) I must say that Steve has been a total gentleman throughout this. I trust his work enough to have sent in my Good Wear Perry A-2 for better fit alterations as well. ;)

Hope you feel better soon..
You may be the only person I have ever known that was happy with the fit of a Gibson & Barnes jacket. At one time I owned six of them. I sold them all. They were some of the most beautiful jackets I've ever owned. The leather, materials and workmanship was I think some of the best out there. The only problem at least for me was the jackets were just cut too big! I wanted to like them but I just couldn't get past the sizing problem.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You may be the only person I have ever known that was happy with the fit of a Gibson & Barnes jacket. At one time I owned six of them. I sold them all. They were some of the most beautiful jackets I've ever owned. The leather, materials and workmanship was I think some of the best out there. The only problem at least for me was the jackets were just cut too big! I wanted to like them but I just couldn't get past the sizing problem.

They're really not bad fit-wise if one knows how many sizes to size down! For the older jackets at least.

Technonut

Practically Family

My G&B M422-A was custom made and fitted. ;) I purchased it back when they still did that sort of thing. The jacket also has a leather collar instead of the mouton, and added epaulets.

Deacon211

One Too Many
My older M-422a (circa 1997) actually fit pretty nicely. It was still a little roomier in the torso, but not baggy. I think the move to the more "modern" fit was relatively recent, maybe last 5-10 years?

The problem I had with downsizing was that the shoulders shrank faster than the waist did and I just couldn't find the happy medium.

Dracorex

Familiar Face
My older M-422a (circa 1997) actually fit pretty nicely. It was still a little roomier in the torso, but not baggy. I think the move to the more "modern" fit was relatively recent, maybe last 5-10 years?

The problem I had with downsizing was that the shoulders shrank faster than the waist did and I just couldn't find the happy medium.
Bingo! That was exactly my problem. I tried sizing down but the shoulders were just too tight. I really really wanted to like them but because I didn't like the fit I never wore them. They just hung in my closet. When I finally sold them, they all looked brand new.

thor

One Too Many
Gibson & Barnes make nice jackets but the sizing is definitely hit and miss. I've visited them in San Diego a couple of times and it paid off in getting to try on multiple jacket styles in different sizes. I ended up getting one Civil A-2 and one Mark 31 A-2 in size 42 long as well as a Raider jacket in size 44 regular. With all other jacket manufacturers I'm a 46 long. Go figure :confused:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tried one of their nylon jackets once...HUGE!!!!! :) Moved it on to a family who used it as a tent

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
I have one Gibson & Barnes A2 size 40L...I'm a 44 regular in almost every other jacket...it fits terrific,the main problem is the plastic feeling & looking horsehide...only worn when walking the dog in the rain.

Deacon211

One Too Many
OK, sorry for the continued delay. I asked Steve to shorten the sleeves just a bit. Like a gentleman, he trimmed them up and shipped it right back.

I am not on death's doorstep any longer and so will take some fit pics this weekend.

In the meantime, sitting in my car...

852432063cf20abb68462764b636c1ea.jpg
04f18c4d805a17dbfa525ab8d54171a8.jpg
c98cde41dcbe0385f1eee39cd48a030c.jpg
22fc7ecfe1a0c73f60c2a935ca663da8.jpg
9811493cd6e304b1d6e01dd0c309edf3.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
Looks excellent! :) Steve certainly is a gentleman, and all around nice guy to work with. He is currently waiting for some new hide to come in for my AN-J-3 remake, which he graciously allowed me to choose instead of the original French goat for no additional cost. Total customer satisfaction is important to him, which is getting more and more difficult to find these days in the bespoke garment business...

Looking forward to seeing your fit pics.. :)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Alright, finally I have some fit pics. I was hoping to find a suitable spot but just decided that I had held everyone off for too long.

I took one shot in sun just to show the difference in color and the undertones that came from Steve's dyeing the more russet original leather color.

A couple of notes. The pics capture the color of the leather but fail to capture the lining or the back stencil very well.

The lining is a very nice maroon color and not at all the bright magenta that appears in the pictures. Likewise, the USN stencil is not that bright neon yellow that the pics show. It's a very period accurate (or at least it gives the appearance of being) that duller, slightly mustard yellow that you see painted in WWII pics on jeeps, bulkhead stencils, etc

Overall, I could not be happier with the colors, the cut, the details, or the fit of this jacket. Moreover, I have never dealt with in the jacket trade (nor probably outside of it) a better businessman than Mr Sellers. His communication, timeliness, and interest in addressing his customers desires is outstanding. I wish him much success in establishing his jacket business and, particularly considering his price point, I would absolutely recommend him if you were in the market for one of these jackets.

Deacon

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just wow!!! That's fantastic Deacon!!! Lovely jacket wonderful fit...you must be 'made up' (as we say over here). :)

Steve S...you are an artist Sir!!

Love it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm