Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stills from a film I'm making

MB5

One of the Regulars
Looks great! I'm pretty sure the dead, bloody body is a violation of the Motion Picture Production Code though. ;)

I too enjoyed the HPL reference.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Curt, I'm my own production designer. I'm the whole crew, actually. And I used the H-16 back in film school too - in the late 80's (damn, I'm gettin on in years, ain't I?).

I wasn't aware I'd made a Lovecraft reference. :S

Edit: Oh, I see! The Batman reference was originally a Lovecraft one; I didn't realize that. The sign change on the stills was designed to keep my location under wraps until the project is complete. I hadn't altered the apartment sign for the film (only for the stills).

I've always been peripherally interested in Lovecraft, but never enough to actually investigate his work - and after reading what a racist and sexist the fellow was, I may let inertia do what it does best.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Mr. Sable said:
Curt, I'm my own production designer. I'm the whole crew, actually. And I used the H-16 back in film school too - in the late 80's (damn, I'm gettin on in years, ain't I?).

I wasn't aware I'd made a Lovecraft reference. :S

Edit: Oh, I see! The Batman reference was originally a Lovecraft one; I didn't realize that. The sign change on the stills was designed to keep my location under wraps until the project is complete. I hadn't altered the apartment sign for the film (only for the stills).

I've always been peripherally interested in Lovecraft, but never enough to actually investigate his work - and after reading what a racist and sexist the fellow was, I may let inertia do what it does best.

You're not the only guy who just dated himself!:eusa_doh:

Anyway, your choice of locations is only equalled by your photography of it. I hope your film makes the rounds in the festival circuit out my way because I'd love to see it. Please keep us updated!

Not that I'm trying to justify or rationalize bad behaviour on the part of old HPL, but that component of his personality has been grossly over-emphasized in recent years and based largely upon only a few letters he wrote to his aunt while living in New York City - out of a body of 100,000 letters written during his lifetime. By the time he reached his early 40s he had grown past this tragic, flawed outlook, one of which was very common.

I honestly think you'd enjoy his work. I'd hate to see you miss out on all the fun because of some improperly contextualized judgements of HPL that entirely ignore the scope of his genius as a thinker and writer.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
yeeeah, I'll give Lovecraft a chance, I suppose.

I'll try to get it down to the Channel Islands Film Fest, or the Oxnard Film Fest, or whatever they're calling it now. I had one shown there a while back (apparantly with technical difficulties). Once it's all done, I'll shop it around and see if anyone might like to exhibit it.

Man, Curt, your sculpture is beyond incredible. I'm astounded at your talent.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Mr. Sable said:
yeeeah, I'll give Lovecraft a chance, I suppose.

I'll try to get it down to the Channel Islands Film Fest, or the Oxnard Film Fest, or whatever they're calling it now. I had one shown there a while back (apparantly with technical difficulties). Once it's all done, I'll shop it around and see if anyone might like to exhibit it.

Man, Curt, your sculpture is beyond incredible. I'm astounded at your talent.

Thanks! As my mom always said it keeps me off the streets!

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Mr. Sable said:
Here's another still from what we shot today. I added a title to it. This character only appears briefly in "Five Bullets, Five Names", but one day, I'll write a whole script about him.

929966.jpg

i know this has been up a while but in revisiting this thread i just wanted to say how much i like this shot! especially the shadows on his face.

rsg

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
RedShoesGirl said:
i know this has been up a while but in revisiting this thread i just wanted to say how much i like this shot! especially the shadows on his face.

rsg

I wish I could take credit for that shot, but it was done by my buddy Leigh Dehaney. I'm thinking he should've shot the film and not just the stills.

The flick is still in progress and probably will be a while yet.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Sable said:
I think in the back of his mind, he knew it was coming.

[bad humor]Given the location of the shooter, that'll be the first place to be sure.[/bad humor]

:D

I'm looking forward to this movie.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
here's a few more.

265493106_b572879f74_m.jpg

"So you don't accept war bonds, eh?"
"No. No war bonds, no food stamps, no baseball cards... no. Cash only."*

265480619_438d522fcf.jpg

"Of course I come here often. It's my room."*

265493108_daac710f2a.jpg

Yeah, sorry to call so late, but there's a dead hooker in my room again.*​

*NOT the real dialogue.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
technical question

Is your main character carrying the same pocket litter and such in every shot?

I mean, if there's a scene with a lighter, is the lighter in his pocket in that scene and stays there in the 30 scenes he never uses it?

He's carrying around the gun somewhere on his person, is it on his person even in the shots he doesn't use it and it can't possibly show?

Most movies and TV don't do that, characters have what they need for the scene but then in the next scene it goes back on the prop cart or whatever until he needs to light a cigarette four scenes later.

I know some directors and actors do it the other way, they have the actor wear his whole kit in each scene. It seems to me it would add truth to the character and affect how they walk, sit and carry themself.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
My actor keeps his own (herbal) smokes and book matches in the pocket of the trenchcoat, and we leave the pistol in the other pocket as well, so we don't lose it. After shoots, he puts the whole outfit on a hanger in a suitbag so it doesn't wrinkle up between shoots. It's a convenience thing over a character thing. When he smokes for a shot, we've been busting off the filter and crimping the end. The character also has a shopping list in his pocket which we keep in the trenchcoat as well. That's all the paraphenalia he uses.

I worked on a TV show for a while and the actors playing the cops often complained about how heavy the real pistols were and asked to carry the rubber ones. They were usually refused on the basis of realism. "Nah. You won't walk right with the rubber one", the directors would say. I think part of that might have stuck with me. Though 95% of the time, we're using a plastic pistol, it's always on the actor's person.

DizzyEdge

New in Town
Bringing up an old thread, but I'm a director of the Calgary Heritage Initiative society, and we're looking to research the Tigerstedt block and perhaps preempt any attempts to add it to the city landfill. If any of you have discovered any info since this thread was first posted, it would be much appreciated. Also interested in the film, I know Sabrina who's in one of the photos, odd coincidence.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Some actors also like to stay in character during the entire shooting day or sometimes the entire shoot. Imagine you're walking to their dressing room and they grab you from behind and ask you a lot of questions while holding a gun up to your head. When you believe them, you know they're good, and while you run away they'll scream, "Hey, I was just rehearsing!"

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
DizzyEdge said:
Bringing up an old thread, but I'm a director of the Calgary Heritage Initiative society, and we're looking to research the Tigerstedt...

I'm on your mailing list. We know some more of the same people. :)

The film is not yet finished, but those going to the QM Event will have a chance to see a trailer for it on the big screen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot