Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stills from a film I'm making

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I'm making a traditional noir film on 16mm. Here are some stills from it so far.

189843593_3f69fd5c74.jpg

189243761_e2d587dfe3.jpg

189243760_73ba5b99e9.jpg

189243759_fcd45b097b.jpg

189243758_08b16aa730.jpg

What'chou folks think?

Story

I'll Lock Up
You're in Canada!

Are you allowed to even use the word "Bullets" up there? ;)

Seriously, what's the plot?

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Terry: what's it about? How long is it? Feature or short? Is it b/w or color? What camera are you using?

It's a B&W short (15 min.) shot on 16mm Plus-X using the 1954 Bolex seen in my avatar and a 1970's Russian Krasnogosk-3. It's about an unemployed plumber coerced into killing five strangers on a list or he ends up on the list himself. He's only got 5 bullets to do the job. I left the one photo as colour, because I liked the blue light in it.

Charlie: Is it a full fledged period piece? Is that a Bolex camera in your avatar?

Yes, and yes.

Sefton: Where's the dames?

Oh, there's dames in the picture. A picture's no good without dames.

Jake: Where's the dingus?

Uhhhhh ....I'm gonna have to look that up.

Story: Are you allowed to even use the word "Bullets" up there?

Yes. The word and real bullets. We just use some restraint in the frozen north. That, and triggers tend to ice up, keeping the murder rate low. A few cabin fevered lumberjacks occassionally stab each other in the spring, but that only happens when the ice warms up enough to melt and form icicles. ;)

JDJS: Ah, the Tigerstedt. One of my favorite signs around.

:eek: Do I know you, man?!

The Wolf: I've wondered where you've been.

Thanks for the well wishes, questions, and interest, boys. You have no idea how much you've motivated me to take this thing further.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Those are some kinda herbal cigarettes. They don't stink up the place. These are PRE-production stills so I can get a feel for what and how I'm going to shoot and approach the lighting properly and such.

Any period smoking info you could impart?

I inherited my grandfather's amber cigarette holder and a pipe and such, but nowadays folks see cigarette holders as feminine, don't they? I was thinking this joe should maybe smoke cigars. I dunno.

Terry Lennox

Suspended
a question and a suggestion.

first the suggestion... use un-filtered cigs. Lucky Strike, Camel, ect...

now the question... what about a barney? both of those are pretty noisy? What are you recording the sounds on?

Okay, I quess that's two questions....

Baggers

Practically Family
Echhh, herbal cigarettes. They may not stink up the place, but there's something about the way they burn that just doesn't look right to me.

My advice? Either use cigars or cut the herbals down to 2 3/4 inches -- with no filter. King size and filtertips didn't come on the scene until sometime after WW2. There was such a thing as cork tipped filter cigarettes, but to my knowledge they were relatively uncommon and expensive. The average working stiff either rolled his own or bought something like Lucky Strike, Chesterfield, Phillip Morris, or Camel (prewar, in the green packet). Or since you're in Canada, Sweet Caporals or Players Navy Cut. Luckys and Players are actually very mild for an unfiltered cigarette. Much milder than Camels. As for cigars, depending on what you use, the smell could be worse than real cigarette smoke. that, and the ends get soggy after being clenched in the corner of your mouth for too long.

As for cigarette holders, they definitely weren't just a ladies' only item. Plenty of men used them too, but it's mostly identified as a cultured or rich man's smoking accessory. I'd be real careful about which character you give one to.

And on the other hand, if your actor(s) aren't comfortable with smoking, don't force them. I've yet to see a non smoker who could fake it convincingly.

Cheers!

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Terry, I ain't using a barney because I'm shooting MOS. The very few bits of dialogue will be done in post production. The rest is narration. After making films for 26 years, I'm still not ready for synch sound. I prefer telling st

Baggers, my Gran'pa was a dairy worker before and after WWII, definately not the cultured type... unless he worked in the yogurt department. Ha! I'll take your advice and have people smoke the unfiltered deals.

jdjs

Familiar Face
Mr. Sable said:
JDJS: Ah, the Tigerstedt. One of my favorite signs around.

Nope, don't think we've met. I'm one of those rarities (native Calgarian) living up on the north side of the city. Then again, possibly at the film festival or trouncing somewhere around the city.

JD

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Here's some moving pictures from 'the making of': on the website.

I had some nice historical insight for an elevator scene we're shooting this weekend - I had a chance to talk with one of the last of the elevator operators. Apparantly, there are only three manned public elevators left in all of Canada and one is in my town. The old guy running the lift was very cool and showed us how it all worked and gave us a bit of a history lesson as well. I love it when that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany