Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stingy Brim Straw at a Stingy Price

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Sorry for the title!

I was in need of a cheap straw hat. A good panama is beyond my meager means at the moment. The recent trend of stingy brim straws at Target led me to a conclusion: why not? I sweat through stuff so fast in summer that anything expensive would be a waste and I get picky about how my hats look on me anyway.
So, wandering into the devil's store, aka Wal-Fart, I found a $10 straw that is cheap enough to sweat though and not regret, behold!

DSCF0990.jpg

Opinions?

Thanks!

Edit: It does look like crap in that picture. It does not look NEARLY as bad on my head. Besides, I like the stingy brim and SS Hawaiian shirt look; it makes me feel like voting for Eisenhower.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I have to say that those that look good in stingy brims look very good in them. My younger brother does the hula-shirt-and-stingy-straw look in the summers and it really works on him. Particularly with his slightly beaked nose and almost-browline glasses. He looks like he should be a private detective in Florida in the '50s that drives a Studillac.

Alas, nothing with a brim under 2 inches really works on me. I'm hoping something nice looking jumps out at me on my trip to Charleston.

-Dave

Edit: I left out the most important part. My brother's straw is one I purchased at Target for myself and he appropriated as his "thinking cap." It's a pretty decent hat. I can't speak to Wal-Mart quality, however. I try to avoid the place as much as possible.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it looks quite nice, especially for the price. It's blocked well for a $10 hat-much better than the ladies stuff at the same price.

How's the finishing seam (brim sewing) look for that price?

Action shots please! We want to see it on your head!

Vintage Betty

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I find those walmart and target straws are great for a bummin' about hat or a quick run to the store. I have a couple, and I have no fear of their eventual destruction. Oddly enough, though, I sweat in them less than in my better straw hats. The ultimate irony - my butt ugly green target hat will probably outlast my cuenca! lol

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I saw some of those at Target the other day. Looked kinda cool in a 'hip' way. Picked one up and man are they heavy.

Good beginners hat, I suppose. Good for bumming around in.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
I can't see the picture here at work, but I've seen some of the straw hats at Target.
I got a straw stingy brim at Burlington Coat Factory and it's pretty light weight and crushable. I took it on vacation to the beach and if something smashed it, I could just pop it right back into shape and keep going. :)

Milsurp

New in Town
I finally broke down and got a dark colored one at target. Should make a good beater hat, but the ribbon is fugly.

stuff006bo7.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yet another

highstraw.jpg

Cheapie straw. I liked the relatively high crown, kinda 2o's - 3o's vibe when contrasted with the shorter brim. I am hoping tighten up the pinch, C the crown & to stain it a darker color. Can you really use tea, Rit dye?

Milsurp

New in Town
thunderw21 said:
Looks like a pretty good first try, the bow looks excellent. The slack is always difficult to take up, especially with polyester ribbon that doesn't want to flex or shape.

Keep at it, you'll eventually get it the way you want!

Yeah I don't know what to do about the huge gap at the top. A stapler crossed my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou