Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STOP STARING!!!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
Ah but our mighty Pound vs your puny Dollar :)p) (plus cost and availability of vintage over here!) makes SS dresses a good purchase for us Brits. Plus it would be very unusual to see someone else in a SS dress here.

Especially in Ireland... impossible to get vintage, and nobody really wears it, or repro for that matter. Which is good in a way, cause I know nobody else will have my outfit but it's so hard to get that outfit in the first place!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
~landgirl~ said:
You must be lucky enough to fit into them! Being 5'8, reproduction is usually the only option [huh]

I don't know, I'm 5'7" ... I also have a strange figure, the medium waist for SS fits me but the bust is too small. The non-stretch limited edition SS I have has buttons in the front so I safety pin. Not complaining though, 38-28-38 is a great size for vintage dresses.

CourtneyJordan

New in Town
I do agree that the styles of SS are cute, but the fit and fabrics of the outfits are very questionable and "cheap" in my opinion. I went to try on a bunch over at My Baby Jo several months ago, and found the fabrics to be scratchy and "fake" feeling. Also, the fit emphasized my larger bust area (in not the most flattering of ways) and made my skinny legs look emaciated due to the very snug fitting top area but the odd place where the skirts fell on my legs. Also, I found the prices way overpriced for this seemingly low quality merchandise. Just, beware next time you buy.

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
Is the sizing of the 'Stop Staring' label correct?

Hiya!

I am thinking about purchasing one or two items from the 'Stop Staring' label.
What I would like to know from the ladies here is if the sizing guide of the 'Stop Staring' range is true to what it states? (with the dresses and seperates)
If not, should I go up or down a size?

I have never purchased any items from them - I usually hunt down vintage items in my local charity shop or *try* to make my own from authentic patterns (see how I emphasized the word *try* :) ) ~ but I have seen a few items I like on the Daddy-Os' site and thought I might buy one or two.

Many Thanks :)

~Amanda~
Australia

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
If you go by the measurements listed in the size chart, you should be fine. The only issue I have had is that I sometimes find the armholes are cut too small, and I don't really care for their stretch fabric as well as the other choices.

ChezPez

New in Town
I second the tiny armhole statement. And I generally have small arms and find sleeves too big!

The measurements are largely accurate.
I found this on their site:
"*Please Note:

If you are in between sizes ( example: your waist measures 26 inches)

…..And the garment does not stretch, go up to the next size (So a 26 inch waist would go up to a size medium)

…..And the garment does stretch, go down one size(so a 26 inch waist would go down to a size small)"

Their rule of thumb has generally worked for me in their clothing.
I'm also not fond of their stretch fabric, so be careful.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
That suggestion has worked for me too. I have a 26 inch waist and find that I fit either a small or a medium perfectly, depending on the fabric they use.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Id have to agree with Jitterbugdoll and Emmababy on their perception of the fabric.

I got a ST dress and was SO excited, but the 'fabric' they used was so plastic, that the dress didnt breathe at all. And was itchy. I still have it, and I fit it alright, but I so wish the fabric was of a higher quality, etiher that, or I wish they would sell patterns of their garments. :rolleyes:

Go by measurements on whatever you buy from them. Sizing in clothings is so strange right now. Good luck.

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with the armhole statement. But, also be warned, I find that the bust measurements do run a little big.

I have 9 of their dresses, and I love them all. But, each one had to be altered in the top, for I had to go up a size to accommodate the lower half of my body.

However, the fabric on these dresses is part spandex, so they do stretch. The creator of these dresses made them with a curvier gal in mind. So, if you are on the smaller side, they might not be the dress for you.
I am very happy with all of my dresses from them. Alterations aside; I'm petite and always have to get my clothes tailored so I'm not bothered by this; the dresses I have wear very well, keep their shape, and wash well too. I wear mine all the time. When I'm going some place where nobody is wearing vintage, Stop Staring dresses are perfect. The style is very flattering, and the girls I know who aren't into vintage all love them. It's an easy alternative for a quick yet glamorous outfit.

IMO, DaddyO's has good customer service. So, if you get the dress and it doesn't fit or you're not happy with it for some reason, it is quite easy to exchange it or return it. So, they are pretty easy to try out. I do wish that they sold them in more places, and that they had a store here on the east coast where I could see their products in person.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I love the fit of Stop Staring, so I don't mind dealing with less than stellar fabric. Actually, the satin dresses I have by them are made with very nice fabric, but then again, I don't know too much about anything to do with dressmaking!

It's just nice to have a company who makes really cute, REALLY vintage-inspired stuff that I can just order from, instead of having to deal with Ebay and sifting through dresses that will never fit at vintage stores.

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
Hiya ladies!

Thank you so much for your input - it is very much appreciated.

Sizing guides can be so fickel at times it is hard to know which is correct - especially with shoe sizing. But at least from your lovely response I know I can count on the Stop Staring sizing.

Many thanks again :)

~Amanda~
Australia

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
I also have to shorten my stop staring dresses because i'm teeny tiny.

And i don't wear heels because i am the clumsiest person in the world and would break a lot of bones

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I've jsut received my first SS dress and I wish I'd gone for the smaller size. I have a 28" waist so that automatically places me in the larger section! When I tried it on - well it would be ok if I was Pammie sized proportions! But a quick run up the side of the bust with my sewing machine fixed that, not perfectly but who looks at the inside! I'll probably end up taking the hem up an inch or so because even tho I'm 5'8" it's mid calf whereas I prefer a coupla inches below the knee! I'll third the small armholes, just as well it only has one on my dress!
All in all I like it - it actually makes me look like I have curves on my 'straight-up-and-slightly-wider-down'!
:eek:fftopic: EmmaBaby - nice to see someone from the same neck of the woods! Are you going to the 'Candy Box Burlesque' in a coupla of weeks?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm with the gals who say the fabric is less than pleasing. The cheap plastic zipper was a NIGHTMARE. And the applique cherries that were on my dress came right off after a few wearings! I also had trouble with the size chart -- when I got the dress it was way too big for me! I should have returned it, but I decided to keep it and pinned everything in. I was also disappointed that the dress was not as full and billowy as it was pictured on the website (it was much shorter and straight as can be!). After a couple of wearings, I glued the cherries on real good and sold it on ebay. I never bought from them again. I can't afford overpriced, cheaply made garments -- I'd rather spend that money on a REAL vintage piece.

I had this experience way back in 2000 or 2001. Maybe things have changed in quality since then. I dunno. If you like the dress enough, go ahead and treat yourself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff