Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Store Brands

Some of the old department stores like Sears, J.C. Pennys and Macy's had and may still have some store brands, branded items that were exclusive to their chain.

I used to get from Sears, their brand of Jeans labeled Roebucks Jeans. I haven't seen them in years. They were riveted and double to triple stiched using a weight of demin just a tad lighter than Levi's 501's. They were cheap. long lasting and durable, now you can't find them out this way.

I have heard that Pennys still has some Stafford labled items and their old brand Towncraft were some of the best made mens' briefs I have owned. These days it seems well made and men's underwear are two alien concepts.

Macy's brand dress shirts were a viable option to Van huesen or Arrow shirts too.

Anyone else have store brands they sought out because of the quality versus price ratio?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Years ago I was a "Toughskins" jeans wearer! Sears was my parents store of choice.
We have a dept. store here called Belk's that has good clothing items under the "Meeting Street" label.

ron521

One of the Regulars
Penny's also had (has?) a line of casual clothing called St. John's Bay. I've got several shirts, and a very nice "Highwayman" leather jacket.

Here are a couple of photos of the jacket: www.ron521.homestead.com/StJohnsBay.html

They also had Arizona Jeans Company, which made the very best polo shirts I've ever seen.

ortega76

Practically Family
Kohl's has a line of shirts, ties and suits under the Apt 9 label. I have a couple of cool french cuff dress shirts with a nice taper that were all cotton and less than $20.

IMG_0817.jpg

The cufflinks are mine but the shirt and tie are from Kohl's.

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Having spent more money on lesser shirts, I have returned to JC Penney Stafford shirts. They hold up well, look good, fit well and are a very good value for the money. Not to mention, when they say permanent press, they mean it!

Weston

A-List Customer
A very missed brand ( I think!) is Roebucks, whom still make boots, but the work pants they used to make are amazing. Never need ironing, permanent crease, made in AMERICA(!), and they've held up for tons of wear over 5 years.

best part? Bought on clearance for $4 a pair.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I had three pairs of jeans from Lands' End that I wore for four years. They were my only jeans, and only recently began to look just a little shabby. I just bought two pairs of jeans from LL Bean--they seem well made.

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Weston said:
A very missed brand ( I think!) is Roebucks, whom still make boots, but the work pants they used to make are amazing. Never need ironing, permanent crease, made in AMERICA(!), and they've held up for tons of wear over 5 years.

best part? Bought on clearance for $4 a pair.

I have a 100% cotton khaki Roebucks workshirt that I bought 15 years ago. It is my absolute, hands-down, no-kidding, favorite shirt....and it is approaching the end of its useful life. Of course, Sears no longer sells them. They sell, instead, a "Craftsman" kahki workshirt made on a cotton/poly blend. I could have lived with that, but somewhere in the process, they changed to pattern and cut of the shirt. The new one doesn't fit anything like the old Roebucks did...it's tight in all of the wrong places, and loose in the others. I am constantly on the look out for a viable replacement for my old Roebucks shirt, but am, thus far, coming up dry. Oh, and don't bother suggesting Dickie's khaki shirt. Been there, done that....not even close. :(

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Sears U.S. Army line?

Tied into store brands, has anyone noticed the "U.S. Army, 1st Infantry Division" line of clothes at Sears? The clothing is basically modern-looking nylon t-shirts, as well as khaki pants, but the advertising features a young serviceman in early-WWII Class A uniform, complete with campaign hat. Yet on one leg he has a low-quarter shoe topped by leggings, while on the other a jump boot! And he is wearing no necktie! Anybody know anything about this eclectic, out-of-uniform ensemble, and why it was designed as such?[huh]

Designers are interested in details but usually don't know anything about the "rules" that the Army would have. So they take elements that they like and create a mix in an image, maybe it's supposed to mean ready for anything.

Sometimes artisits don't make sense, they just make images.

Sharkman_75

New in Town
I too, love the Stafford line. I have also spent more on lesser shirts (Klein, Nautica, etc) but still favor Stafford (at a considerable savings).

They did away with my favorite, Stafford Executive in lieu of the new Stafford Signature. So far it seems to be a suitable replacement. I just wish they would expand their colors and patterns.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Designers are interested in details but usually don't know anything about the "rules" that the Army would have. So they take elements that they like and create a mix in an image, maybe it's supposed to mean ready for anything.

Sometimes artisits don't make sense, they just make images.

You're right, John. Why was I looking for logic in packaging?...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Sharkman_75 said:
I too, love the Stafford line. I have also spent more on lesser shirts (Klein, Nautica, etc) but still favor Stafford (at a considerable savings).

They did away with my favorite, Stafford Executive in lieu of the new Stafford Signature. So far it seems to be a suitable replacement. I just wish they would expand their colors and patterns.

Sharkman, what are the differences? Mine just say Stafford. And even though this is :eek:fftopic:...This thread kind of caused me to go by the old Sears in my hometown of Glendale, to bring back old memories. As usual, it was close to dead inside, and contrary to other department stores, the help was all older people (mostly Armenians). When I worked there in the '80s (automotive), there were tons of us younger folk. Anyway, if the lack of business is indicative of other Sears stores, the chain doesn't have long to go, and we'll be reminiscing not just about Sears brand name items, but about the company itself.:(

Many Sears stores are doing a good businees still. Let's face it Craftsman tools are a first amongst equals. For certain items such as tools i often go to Sears first then the Home Depot type stores and then Harbor Freight Tools.

Lou

One of the Regulars
Mossyrock said:
Having spent more money on lesser shirts, I have returned to JC Penney Stafford shirts. They hold up well, look good, fit well and are a very good value for the money. Not to mention, when they say permanent press, they mean it!
I was at a mall yesterday and, remembering this post, stopped in JC Penney to see the Stafford shirts. I too have spent more on brand name shirts that fit like a hefty bag, so I was hoping Stafford would be the shirt I've been looking for. I bought an oxford and wore it to work today, and I like it. It fits well and is made of quality fabric. I have two more hefty-bag shirts for Goodwill, which I'll replace with Stafford shirts. Thanks for the tip. :)

I also noticed tuxedo separates at JC Penney that were very reasonably priced. I have a black double-breasted suit that I've used as a near-tux, but it would be nice to eventually get a proper tux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner