Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storing hats for a move

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
We are getting ready to movie and I need to pack up all but one or tw0 hats for the trip to the new area (from Calif to AZ north area Prescott to Chino Valle area) But we may store every thing here till we have things set to be at. I know I need to avoid high heat but also need how should pack the hats up so them can be stored for bit.
Any pointer would a great help.

Thanks

CC

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Go down to your local tack shop and see if you can get some hat boxes. If you are only look for one or two they usuallly will give it to you for free. Outside that try a hat shop. They will probably charge you for them though.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
not many hat shops in the are more at Western vs Fedoras. I know I need to get something to keep then getting crushed. and From heat during storage. Will check and see if the have any boxes. thanks

CC

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have made hat boxes using an appropriate sized box. Western hat boxes are in the neighborhood of 14 x 18 x 8 tall. Fedoras would fit in a 14 x 14 x 7 tall. Get some more cardboard and cut it about 1 inch longer than the measurement of your hat around brim to crown break and 6 inches wide. Roll it and butt it together and tape it well with boxing tape making sure you put at least one wrap all the way around plus some overlap. Fuss with the roll of cardboard to make it less stiff and then shape it so the hat will sit in it upside down and the cardboard is not pressuring sides of crown. Get a caulk tube of cheap silicone sealer or some other viscous glue. I say use silicone as its vapor will go away and not stink up the hats, I don't know about other glues/sealer. use some pretty liberal dollops and position the cardboard hat holder in the center of the box and let it sit for a couple of days to cure and let the vinegar odor from silicone to go away. Place hat in a dry cleaners wrapper and close box flaps and seal box. I'm in TX and I couldn't find hat boxes close by. Western stores had none as hat buyers always took their box. The Resistol outlet has hat boxes but shipping was $13 and the box is $8 (I think $8). I got boxes for $3 and $4 and used other boxes cut up for the roll to sit hat in.
1 hat per box as stacking in a taller box is a recipe for misshapen and maybe stained hat. The oils in the sweatband will absorb into the hat inside in a stack.

Ranbro

New in Town
For a little longer storage you may want to try those plastic bins sold in big warehouse stores. Use cardboard inserts with holes cut for the hat crowns. Also cut the cardboard rectangles about 2 inches wider than the bins, bend and tape the excess to the side of the bins, Depending on depth and width/length of the bins you can store multiple hats in each bin. You may also want to drill or cut multiple openings in the bin lids backed by fine mesh to allow ventilation but keep out unwanted pests. Once you have completed your move and storage, you can continue to store your hats in the bins or use them for myriad purposes.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Thanks all these sound like good things Hats need to be stored for at lease 2 month or so. We plan on get storage place for some item but some i will store at a at friends. I just don't trust any storage place not to have bad rage of tempers. I have 11 Fedora type hat one Derby (steampunk ) I also have some leather one 2 top hats and i do have silk Top hat that is Collapsible. I think i have all the boxes they shipped in only Stetson come in hat box but it is a bit beat up. thinking these may be some of the last things to pack .
I see what can get I do have bins i just make sure they don't get too bent up or crashed.. I do not how to get them back into shape if i need to but want to try my best to keep them nice.
Just need to think which one to wear on the trip after i get then ready to store.. lol

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80