Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight Razor with disposable blades

drafttek

New in Town
I bought this not too long ago from The Art of Shaving. I just can't get the hang of it. It's the type that the blade can be changed. I have a partial pack of blades as well. You can see it on their site here: http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/product/68018/10

008.jpg
[/IMG]
It goes for $45 and $12 for the blades but I'll sell it for $35 and I'll eat the shipping.

Mav

A-List Customer
I'm not sure why, but the idea of a straight razor with disposable blades scares the hell out of me. OTOH, I never got the hang of a traditional straight razor, and opted for the relatively lesser blood loss of a DE safety razor.

drafttek

New in Town
Well, it was a way to try a straight razor without the major expense of the full kit with strop etc. It uses safety razor blades, you just snap them in half.

Mav

A-List Customer
drafttek said:
It uses safety razor blades, you just snap them in half.

Woof. I'm not sure that makes me feel any better.
Understand your thinkin', though. I wonder if it's the same as using the traditional kind?

kps

New in Town
drafttek said:
I just can't get the hang of it.
Have you only tried it with the blades in your picture? Although I use my Merkur slant DE more than anything else, I find their blades to be among the worst I've ever encountered.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I use this method and find it very satisfactory. It is cheaper than using modern disposable blades as these are much more expensive.

It's useful when traveling too as bring a strop isn't needed. In my experience the two important factors are:

1. Prep work (lathering really well) and
2. Technique (shaving at the correct angle with little force just the weight of the razor)

Here's my blog entry about them:

http://diaryofavintagebarberenthusiast.blogspot.com/

Scroll down a couple of posts to see the entry about the shavette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24