Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange 1940's Dobbs

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Here's a Dobbs Twenty belonging to a friend of mine. I think it's a 7 1/8, but there are no tags behind the sweat (I'm a 7 1/4 and it was slightly small).

LmWZL1B.jpg

tuSG0ki.jpg

PGC1fEE.jpg

hX6LZ5L.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I liked this hat, but he had just sold me a mint Whippet that fit perfectly, so this one, in comparison, wasn't looking so great. I told him I thought it was kind of special due to the age and brim treatment, but what do I know? I haven't been consulting you experts enough to keep up with things :)

I liked this hat, but he had just sold me a mint Whippet that fit perfectly, so this one, in comparison, wasn't looking so great. I told him I thought it was kind of special due to the age and brim treatment, but what do I know? I haven't been consulting you experts enough to keep up with things :)

It is special. While not unique, those stitched brim hats are not very common. They are certainly less common than a Whippet.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
It is special. While not unique, those stitched brim hats are not very common. They are certainly less common than a Whippet.
It was funny - I had the Whippet in hand, price negotiated, then spotted the Dobbs stitched-brim at a much lower price. But the damned thing was just a tad too small. I'd really like to spot a 7 3/8 1950's 'Open Road'. I have had so many of those in the past that I always took them for granted. When I got rid of all my hats 10+ years ago, I should have kept just one Open Road!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
It is sure good to see you again ...ol Friend!!!!!!!
Thanks for saying so! I miss this place, but at one point I had almost 100 fedoras hanging on the walls and in hat boxes, along with all my associated repair equipment, in a small studio condo. When my girlfriend moved in, it all had to go. That's a long way of saying that when I play in here much at all, I develop my old habits, and I just can't do that again!

I hope you are doing well. I will try to pop in more often.

RBH

Bartender
Thanks for saying so! I miss this place, but at one point I had almost 100 fedoras hanging on the walls and in hat boxes, along with all my associated repair equipment, in a small studio condo. When my girlfriend moved in, it all had to go. That's a long way of saying that when I play in here much at all, I develop my old habits, and I just can't do that again!

I hope you are doing well. I will try to pop in more often.

I am doing great. Thank you!
Pop in as often as you can... you know where home is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana