Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange comments

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I like Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives featuring Kenny Vaughan on lead guitar. Now there's some twangy, tele, monster chickin' pickin', if you like that kind of thing. :)

Torpedo

One Too Many
Regardless of what you're called Torpedo, in my book you look mahvelous!

By the way, what hat is that? It looks very similar to a gray Stetson of mine, I would guess it's mid-50s vintage.

Hat is a Mr. Disney Oxford Fifteen. A fine hat indeed!

BTW, thank you and the other FLrs for the flattering comments!

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks Chinaski some reason it makes my day when i get responds to my comments.
btw i agree with your all the musicians you picked adding Patty Smith and The Talking Heads

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I'd take a few goofy comments in trade for James Taylor's hat.
I don't know what it is, but in this pic, it looks great.
A wise man once said that in life, if you dare to stick your head up above the crowd, someone is going to throw tomatoes.
So, either keep your head low, or learn to love tomatoes.
I, sir, will continue to wear my hat, gobble up the tomatoes and laugh.

Sam

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I'd take a few goofy comments in trade for James Taylor's hat.
I don't know what it is, but in this pic, it looks great.
A wise man once said that in life, if you dare to stick your head up above the crowd, someone is going to throw tomatoes.
So, either keep your head low, or learn to love tomatoes.
I, sir, will continue to wear my hat, gobble up the tomatoes and laugh.

Sam

I really do hate tomatoes... fortunately they're relatively soft when thrown.
It's a pain cleaning them out of my hat though.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Back when I first started to wear mine (about 20 years ago) I used to get "Boxcar Willie", if any of your still remember him!

Mostly it was just "nice Dad hat"

{edit: I look nothing like Box Car Willie, just so you know!}

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find it the same with me, except that Black men will often favorably comment on my hats; guess it's a cultural thing...(Like your avatar, by the way.)

I find the same thing here in the Washington area. Cultural differences are interesting. Among all the white guys I grew up with in Minnesota, I would expect nothing but mocking for wearing a hat (years ago). Here in Washington, it's the African Americans and Hispanics who seem most interested in hat wearing. They do it themselves, and I often get some quick positive words when wearing a good hat, and no mocking that I can perceive. So that's good. I'd slow down the whole hat thing if I got a lot of flack, but the encouragement is good. So now I make positive comments on their hats too, or at least gestures like thumbs up or a nod or something. I usually say nothing to the white guys in hats though, because it is our custom to ignore each other.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Here in Washington, it's the African Americans and Hispanics who seem most interested in hat wearing. They do it themselves, and I often get some quick positive words when wearing a good hat, and no mocking that I can perceive.

So now I make positive comments on their hats too, or at least gestures like thumbs up or a nod or something. I usually say nothing to the white guys in hats though, because it is our custom to ignore each other.

That last line made me laugh out loud, basically due to the fact that I find myself doing the same thing! Why do we do that?:eusa_doh: Anyway, yeah, when I see Black men in solid hats, I can't help but compliment them, due to the fact that they are usually the only ones who reciprocate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner