Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange Superstitions and The Superstitious Among Us

CharlesB

Suspended
Because something is highly improbably does not mean its impossible.
Diamondback said:
I dunno, weird things happen out there in combat, like bullets occasionally hitting each other, "Golden BB" shots with small-arms downing million-dollar fighters... so the role of luck can't be totally discounted. Although, it's also possible that the power of belief alone hasn't been fully taken into account...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Not at all (...knock on wood, throwing salt over my left shoulder) none the least!
And it's not superstitious to kiss the aeroplane before every takeoff, is it?;)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I suppose I am moderately superstitious, some based on practical things like walking under a ladder. On the other hand, in the past, I lost two jobs on Friday the 13th and I started a new job on a Friday the 13th, also my permanent placement in a county job (passed my probation) was on a Friday the 13th. So....

A gripe: though not superstitious, I hate those awful emails people send that have angels and kittens and junk all over them telling you how wonderful you are and that people love you, giving you a special message, and then -- at the end of the piece -- tell you that you need to send the message on to at least 5 other people in 10 minutes or you won't have good luck. One message even went so far as to tell you how many years of bad luck you would have if you didn't send the message to X number of people.

First of all, I would never, ever, send anything like that to anyone, even if I hated them. The message is a curse. Why would anyone who cared about you send you a curse?!!?

Second, the message is usually so sappy and cutesy or contains religious sentiments so that I couldn't send it to anyone even if it did not contain a curse.

I should probably post this in the $%**!! thread.

karol

rumblefish

One Too Many
I am the only non-superstitious fisherman, but I'll never;
wear black,
say the word P-I-G,
or bring bananas on a boat.[huh]
*Keeping an eye out for St Elmo's Fire*

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:

At least you don't pee on it like one Kiwi Spitfire pilot used to do before each sortie much to the consternation of his groundcrew!

I do the odd thing, chuck salt over the left shoulder, knock on wood. More habit than anything.

RIOT

Practically Family
Wasn't there a thread like this before?

I don't know where or how it started but I am superstitious about spiders. I never kill them.

jayem

A-List Customer
If your right ear rings, somebody is speaking good about you. Left, bad gossip.
You must knock 5 times on a wooden surface.
If a black cat crosses your path, go around the block once.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Hmmm

Spitfire said:
Not at all (...knock on wood, throwing salt over my left shoulder) none the least!

Spitfire- Darned. I was going to say that.lol lol lol

Spitfire said:

Aeroplane, Gracie? :D (I know, you speak English without an accent!!) :rolleyes:

Which airline will let you do that (though I hear United is thinking of requiring it but charging for the first kiss- the wascals!!!). *yucky*

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
RIOT said:
I don't know where or how it started but I am superstitious about spiders. I never kill them.

It isn't superstition- it is bad luck for the spider!!!:eusa_doh: lol lol :p

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
At least you don't pee on it like one Kiwi Spitfire pilot used to do before each sortie much to the consternation of his groundcrew!

I do the odd thing, chuck salt over the left shoulder, knock on wood. More habit than anything.

:eek:fftopic:
My son did that too, when he was only 7 years old.
We were at an airshow, and I had a groundcrewbadge - working as a photograper, I could walk around among the different planes in the restricted area .
My little son was with me, and when he should pee, I told him to go to the toiletwagon at the corner of the restricted area. It was obvious too far for him, 'cause when I turned around, he was standing under the wing of a Spitfire, peeing at the left wheel.lol
The UK pilot saw it - and luckily he laughed.
(Must have meant good luck for him too)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
My son did that too, when he was only 7 years old.
We were at an airshow, and I had a groundcrewbadge - working as a photograper, I could walk around among the different planes in the restricted area .
My little son was with me, and when he should pee, I told him to go to the toiletwagon at the corner of the restricted area. It was obvious too far for him, 'cause when I turned around, he was standing under the wing of a Spitfire, peeing at the left wheel.lol
The UK pilot saw it - and luckily he laughed.
(Must have meant good luck for him too)

Lovely story Søren.

It's a wonder your little fellow didn't grow up to be a fighter pilot. Something like peeing on a Spitfire almost ordains such!

rumblefish

One Too Many
RIOT said:
Wasn't there a thread like this before?

Something I remember of this;

"If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24