Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliner Box & Brim Curl

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Apart from the pin...
Wonder if folks noticed some interesting things from the ads.

1. The Stratoliner appears to be unlined, with a Stetson (stick-on?) label in the top. If there's a liner, it would have to be the exact same albedo as the hat...yes, I'm a photographer and understand how film characteristics could play into this, but just looks too similar and no fabric wrinkles are apparent. Surprising if true for a fine hat. Was that initially part of the streamlined and lightweight aspect that they later changed?

2. The sweatband appears to be very light colored. Wonder when they switched to darker brown.

3. Having a degree in mechanical engineering (and liking fluid mechanics) this whole "streamlined" thing strikes me as hilarious. My silly side would just love to get both the hat and its box into a wind tunnel to determine shape factor and drag.

4. The women's hats are amazing! And outrageous. No woman of a "certain age" would consider wearing them today. Although the green-eyed babe in the first one does look a bit, from some angles, like the Wicked Witch of the West. I could actually see a modern girl with low-riders and tatoos wearing one however. Don't know quite what to make of that. But men's styles seem more enduring.

-Bill

I currently have a pair of Strats, one lined and one unlined. The unlined one's original sweatband was the unreeded type, the kind that's sewn directly to the felt. It had come loose for much of its span so I just replaced it with new sweat. (But yes, I kept the old sweatband, for provenance, at least, or perhaps that day when I figure out how to reattach it.) The lined hat has a reeded sweat. This hat is so clean, so much like new, that it comes out of its box only rarely.

Other differences? Well, the unlined one shows evidence of once having that little decal or sticker or whatever on its inside top. Just a smudge there now. The original sweat on the unlined one has that swoopier lettering, whereas the lined one has that, I dunno what ya call it, other, more formal style.

Years and years and years ago (30 or more of them, if memory serves) I bought a pair of unlined Strats, a tan one and a blue one), at the Goodwill store. Both had the unreeded sweatbands, and both had the swoopier lettering style.

Andrew friedhofen

New in Town
Hi everyone
I just bought a nice stratoliner hat box, it's the small oval silver one. Problem is, it's so narrow only a stingy brim would fit in it, in my opinion. What kind of stratoliner fits in this box?

Hi everyone
I just bought a nice stratoliner hat box, it's the small oval silver one. Problem is, it's so narrow only a stingy brim would fit in it, in my opinion. What kind of stratoliner fits in this box?

That’s the way the vintage hatboxes were made for the Strat. It’s meant for a full-size hat (2.5” brim), but it doesn’t fit the way most hat boxes do. You’ll figure it out if you have a Strat to put in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran