Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliners. Vintage or new?

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
The more I look into this hat thing, the more I am confused when I see more models that appeal to me. :D

The Fedora store has some presumably new ones. Is there a difference in quality with the vintage ones? Is it even the same hat? (it looks to be, but I haven't seen one in the felt :eusa_doh: )

If the lucky owners could also post pics to display the range in colour that would be tops :cool:

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
:eek: :eek: Found it... :eeek:

Looks like I'll look some other make then...

Sad thing is Borsalino appear to be the same, and I was looking at their foldable safari... :mad:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
If you can find one in your size and in good condition, vintage would be preferred by most.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
The more I look into this hat thing, the more I am confused when I see more models that appeal to me. :D

The Fedora store has some presumably new ones. Is there a difference in quality with the vintage ones? Is it even the same hat? (it looks to be, but I haven't seen one in the felt :eusa_doh: )

If you can wait a few weeks we'll be getting a peak at a hat that will likely interest you. v
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?55919-Fedorafest-III-hat-from-Stetson

HatsEnough

Banned
I have two vintage strats and one new one. The new one is a decidedly shorter and more tapered crown. The airplane pin is badly manufactured as the little engines break off at the least pressure. I've seen a wing or two on the pins that are stunted, too. They are not supposed to have a shorter wing. That is a manufacturing error, not a design attribute. But, it is a well made hat whether it is proportional to original Strats or not. I like the new Strato regardless. The pin is another matter.

T Rick

Practically Family
I have two vintage strats and one new one. The new one is a decidedly shorter and more tapered crown. The airplane pin is badly manufactured as the little engines break off at the least pressure. I've seen a wing or two on the pins that are stunted, too. They are not supposed to have a shorter wing. That is a manufacturing error, not a design attribute. But, it is a well made hat whether it is proportional to original Strats or not. I like the new Strato regardless. The pin is another matter.
Has anyone posted side by side pics of the new and the old? I don't recall if that was done in that one thread, sure wouldn't mind seeing comparison pics between the old and new.

Also, have you left the bash in your new one, or did you take it to Open Crown and reshape it?

WRT pins, as I understand it, there is a very nice repro available, so I wouldn't worry myself about the factory pin, if I really wanted to order the hat (which I am still considering).

Let me say that if the hat lives up to what we saw in Texas and Major Moore gives the final OK... anyone can order the hat from him.

Rusty, would you say this new potential offering from Stetson (will it carry that brand name?) is closer to an Open Road, or a vintage Stratoliner? (And what are the differences between the vintages of those two, I'll admit my ignorance on the part of the Strat, I know the ribbon is different, are they essentially the same hat with a different ribbon?).

HatsEnough

Banned
I think I'll leave the new pin on the new hat. It's how it came, after all.

I currently have 2 vintage Stratoliners left along with the brand new one. I used to have several others, but I've since sold them.

The new one is more tapered, a bit smaller crown. Here is what they look like in comparison...

Top Shot

stratocompare01.jpg

Front shot

stratocompare02.jpg

Side Shot

stratocompare03.jpg

Front shot of vintage Stratoliner (gray)

stratocompare05.jpg

Front shot of Re-Issued Stratoliner (black)

stratocompare04.jpg

Front shot of vintage Stratoliner (brown)

stratocompare06.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Essentially the same ribbon with a different hat...
Stratoliners have basically the same ribbon and edge-binding as Open Roads. The Stratoliner is a lighter weight felt. Open Roads vary in felt thickness from Standard to Western. The dimensions of crown height and brim width of both models varied some over time, narrowing brim width in the mid-50's somewhat. Original Stratoliners were taller crown and wider brim than some later models and much larger crown than current hat bearing the name. The Special FFIII Model is a family member but not specifically a copy of either model.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
HatsEnough, thanks much for the comparative shots, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I do like the new one, but it is quite obviously much more tapered than the original, and perhaps not as tall. Still a nice looking hat in it's own right.

RLK, thanks for setting me straight, I saw with the above that the ribbons were similar to the OR. I guess the Strat is a much rarer hat, and vintage ones don't come up that often. To find a vintage in decent shape in the correct size would likely be a lot of work (still worth it of course, but it would take some time and effort).

HatsEnough

Banned
Hmmm. I guess the idea of the relative rarity of the Strat compared to the availability of the Open Road stands up fairly well. I'd say you can find anywhere from one to four Stratoliners at any given time on ebay but you can always see up to ten or more Open Roads for auction. Maybe three to one ORs over Strats?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think that Strats were only made for around 20 years, while ORs (in their familiar incarnation) have been around for over 65 years. You'll always see more ORs.

Last edited:

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I wore one of my vintage grey Stetson Stratoliners last week here in NYC and got so many compliments. Love my Stratoliner.

I have another one too, which I one on eBay last year but have not worn yet. It is a grey blue and is beautiful. I had the original ribbon replaced on it though, went from a thin ribbon to a wide ribbon. Left the thin ribbon on the grey one though.

I also own a 3X Open Road with a thin ribbon; a beautiful tan color. Obtained it last year but shave not worn that one out in public yet either. Need to actually take it over to Worth and Worth here in NYC to have it re-shaped a bit. And hope I can wear it a few times before it starts to get real hot here in the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran