Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratton straw Police hats

Edward

Bartender
Anyone got any experience eithexoerience with the Stratton police campaign / sheriff hats, particularly the straws? Curious as to whether these 'civilianise' well, the sheriff model in particular. Are the holes in the brim for the chinstrap especially obvious?

Anyone got any experience eithexoerience with the Stratton police campaign / sheriff hats, particularly the straws? Curious as to whether these 'civilianise' well, the sheriff model in particular. Are the holes in the brim for the chinstrap especially obvious?
In the US you can find the Sheriff & the Trooper new on eBay pretty cheap. I have a standard weight & the double weight. The Milan straw is plasticized for weather protection but they can be shaped reasonably well using plenty of steam. Go easy because the plasticine can crack if not heated. The steam moisture helps with lubricity but heat to soften the plasticine is very important too. A misting bottle would probably not work well.

With the plasticine they are not all that cool in hot weather. The double brim version is heavy. Cloth sweats. Get a good fit on the sweat otherwise the crown will rest on the top of your head. The brim grommets are going to be noticeable & no way to hide them, the badge grommet not as obvious but it’s there if you don’t hide it with a pin or something.

They will take a licking & keep on ticking; did I say they are cheap on eBay?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Just for you Eddy!
Wearing one now.
When a bartender asks, a bartender gets!!
This is a Stratton. I
FA16C557-F364-41C2-80CF-AC45396AC1D7.jpeg
339E6063-2C8C-4D6C-B0BB-135E66A3844E.jpeg
9DA47FA9-0424-4A84-9BB4-BF9DBFACD75C.jpeg
believe it is the Sheriff. Milan straw i think, fairly fine weave?? Soft crown, flexible yet firm thin brim.
3 1/8” brim, 5” crown as creased, 1 1/8 ribbon, 1 5/8 material sweatband.
.Pleasantly suprising quality for a working straw. Very comfortable. I’m glad the sweat is non-leather for comfort and drying.
All in all can’t go wrong with these. Less that $100 on ebay, think i paid $35. Winner all around.
I think the grommets and vent holes complete the look of the style.
Good hunting!
B

Ps: sorry for the text breakup.
Just saw Jack’s post, ditto his thoughts. Don’t think this one is plasticized, Sheriff, Trooper, Lawman, it’s one of them.

Last edited:
I have a couple. I much prefer the more natural finished “straw” such as the hat shown above by Bowen. The more common “straw” versions have a hard plastic feel to them. I don’t find the chin strap slots in the brim to detract from the hat, but to me a bigger issue is the badge/cap piece grommeted hole in the front center of the crown. This isn’t found on all of them, but it’s more common than not. The vent holes on the sides, wether with or without the grommets, are a bonus. Those vents are great and worth waiting to find one with them.

IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0122.jpeg
IMG_0123.jpeg

The above hat is of the plastic feeling variety.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Another option, though not as prolific in the LE market, is Resistol. This one has become my go to summer hat. Very light for the style and 3” brim. Can’t hide the brim grommets but the crown hole isn’t too noticeable. Not sure what “Venetian” material is but that’s what it’s made of. View attachment 521796 View attachment 521797 View attachment 521798 View attachment 521799 View attachment 521800
I like this one a way lot!
How old do you think this one is Greg?
B

Ps: i’m blind to the “Venetian” meaning.

I like this one a way lot!
How old do you think this one is Greg?
B

Ps: i’m blind to the “Venetian” meaning.
Thanks, B! As to age, no idea. The sweat is of good quality and reminds me of a 70's hat. Been around a lot of LE hats and have never run across another quite like it.

The hat is put together similar to a Milan. I like the way the crown is porous and the pattern of the fabric is very tight at the brim.

I don't find the brim grommets too distracting

Me sweating up a Stratton Lawman:

1685561871899.png

1685561970402.png

My wife's Stratton (a gift from Ant).

1685562286729.png

My usual way of dealing with the "badge" grommet on the front is to cover it with one of my wife's orphaned button earrings.

This Resistol was a South Carolina State Highway Patrol hat.

1685561673937.png

This is a Stratton.

1685561798728.png

Maybe you could put in a "stampede string" of your liking to fill the grommets and wear it snugged against the back of your head (like the trooper hats).

4426d41624bf347b36bebd41ab0ab571.jpg

1c9359c6b84cbd572a17882d854bb3b3.jpg

View attachment 521868

View attachment 521869

View attachment 521870

My usual way of dealing with the "badge" grommet on the front is to cover it with one of my wife's orphaned button earrings.

View attachment 521866

This is a Stratton.

View attachment 521867

Maybe you could put in a "stampede string" of your liking to fill the grommets and wear it snugged against the back of your head (like the trooper hats).

Great idea on how to cover the center front grommeted hole.

Edward

Bartender
In the US you can find the Sheriff & the Trooper new on eBay pretty cheap. I have a standard weight & the double weight. The Milan straw is plasticized for weather protection but they can be shaped reasonably well using plenty of steam. Go easy because the plasticine can crack if not heated. The steam moisture helps with lubricity but heat to soften the plasticine is very important too. A misting bottle would probably not work well.

With the plasticine they are not all that cool in hot weather. The double brim version is heavy. Cloth sweats. Get a good fit on the sweat otherwise the crown will rest on the top of your head. The brim grommets are going to be noticeable & no way to hide them, the badge grommet not as obvious but it’s there if you don’t hide it with a pin or something.

They will take a licking & keep on ticking; did I say they are cheap on eBay?

Thanks. I've been idly considering buying a new grey Akubra Capricorn, but can't find them in anything other than the fawn colour anywhere (maybe the Aus sites in Autumn, their Spring, might be the thing). THat search had me stumble across these. (I'm working in Beijing this week, and the obvious limits on search facilities here often throw up unusual results I might not catch in the UK.) eBay is a good idea.... I'll add this to my regular searches.

Another option, though not as prolific in the LE market, is Resistol. This one has become my go to summer hat. Very light for the style and 3” brim. Can’t hide the brim grommets but the crown hole isn’t too noticeable. Not sure what “Venetian” material is but that’s what it’s made of. View attachment 521796 View attachment 521797 View attachment 521798 View attachment 521799 View attachment 521800

That's a nice hat. I'll give ebay a trawl with those too. I'm not sure whether I could carry off the cattleman crease, but if an eBay bargain turned out, it would never hurt to try...

I have a couple. I much prefer the more natural finished “straw” such as the hat shown above by Bowen. The more common “straw” versions have a hard plastic feel to them. I don’t find the chin strap slots in the brim to detract from the hat, but to me a bigger issue is the badge/cap piece grommeted hole in the front center of the crown. This isn’t found on all of them, but it’s more common than not. The vent holes on the sides, wether with or without the grommets, are a bonus. Those vents are great and worth waiting to find one with them.

View attachment 521801 View attachment 521802 View attachment 521803

The above hat is of the plastic feeling variety.

I do like the idea of the vents. My Akubras aren't vented in that way, but there is that section in the weave that is looser to give the same effect. It definitely helps in high heat.

I like a natural look too, though I'm also willing to compromise on that a little as I have a few natural straws and natural-looking straws, but I miss the colours of my furfelts in the warmer months.

Re the front badge-grommet, I'd toyed with the idea of finding some obscurist military badge that would fit, though I can't help but wonder whether it's not such a bad idea to have it there as a further point of ventilation. When I'm in Beijing, it's often over thirty Celsius for days at a stretch, and similar in London for weeks on end in July and August especially. I am Irish and very much not designed for that sort of heat.

View attachment 521868

View attachment 521869

View attachment 521870

View attachment 521866

This is a Stratton.

View attachment 521867

Those look great, very nicely civilianised. I might well look at the idea of a subtle stampeded string. The feathers work nicely on that green straw. I like the green colour in that, actually. I like a green hat, but it needs to be the right green to 'work' with my wardrobe. I saw green listed on the Stratton website, but couldn't get a picture of one on there (possibly there isn't one, possibly it's slow internet speeds at present location). Looks good. :)

Edward

Bartender
Just for you Eddy!
Wearing one now.
When a bartender asks, a bartender gets!!
This is a Stratton. I View attachment 521782 View attachment 521783 View attachment 521784 believe it is the Sheriff. Milan straw i think, fairly fine weave?? Soft crown, flexible yet firm thin brim.
3 1/8” brim, 5” crown as creased, 1 1/8 ribbon, 1 5/8 material sweatband.
.Pleasantly suprising quality for a working straw. Very comfortable. I’m glad the sweat is non-leather for comfort and drying.
All in all can’t go wrong with these. Less that $100 on ebay, think i paid $35. Winner all around.
I think the grommets and vent holes complete the look of the style.
Good hunting!
B

Ps: sorry for the text breakup.
Just saw Jack’s post, ditto his thoughts. Don’t think this one is plasticized, Sheriff, Trooper, Lawman, it’s one of them.

Heh, thanks! I like that vent pattern on the side. Great idea.

US police uniforms so often seem to have these great hats, stylistically far in advance from the rozzers in Blighty! ;)

RBH

Bartender
Edward, if this link will open for you.... you can custom order your hat.
No badge hole if you choose and a custom vent patern.
If you find one you like give me a holler. I bet we can work out some easier shipping for you,
In the years past I shipped a few hats to a member across the pond, with no problem.

https://strattonhats.com/products/uniform-hats/straw/sheriff-style-straw-hat/

RBH

Bartender
On another note here is a photo from 2019 when Greg Fisk of Winchester Felt retired.
I got to meet Steve Stratton. A really nice guy.

cxBudj.jpg

left to right front
Mike Moore [Buckaroo Hatters] Steve W Stratton [Stratton Hats] Richard Bean [Winchester] Jeff Tetter [Winchester] GiGi Gaskins [HATWRKS]
left to right back
Greg Fisk [Winchester] Steve Stratton [Stratton Hats] Gunner Fox and me.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, if this link will open for you.... you can custom order your hat.
No badge hole if you choose and a custom vent patern.
If you find one you like give me a holler. I bet we can work out some easier shipping for you,
In the years past I shipped a few hats to a member across the pond, with no problem.

https://strattonhats.com/products/uniform-hats/straw/sheriff-style-straw-hat/

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that!

Interesting to see so many natural color hats. Around me they are all brown or blue, depending on what department they were from.
View attachment 522033

It's the other colours that have caught my eye. Easy enough to find nice natural-hued straw types over here; browns, blues, greens - not so much. Does seem the colours are more popular with more US LEAs from what I see online, though - I suppose because they're seeking a lighter, Summer version of a uniform-coloured felt hat?

glider

A-List Customer
If you order a new hat from Stratton those slots for a chin strap are an option as are the vent holes and badge hole.I have 4 or 5 Stratton's and they are of good quality. I have intended to order a custom hat from them for a couple years now, just haven't got around to it, they make some very nice felt hats in several styles.

Edward

Bartender
If you order a new hat from Stratton those slots for a chin strap are an option as are the vent holes and badge hole.I have 4 or 5 Stratton's and they are of good quality. I have intended to order a custom hat from them for a couple years now, just haven't got around to it, they make some very nice felt hats in several styles.

Oh! Now that is useful to know - I hadn't actually twigged to that from the form. That makes the felt hats also very attractive; the darker green especially appeals in the felt too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff