Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw hat - fedora style- recommendation?

matei

One Too Many
Hi all!

Long time, no post. Can someone recommend a straw hat, but with a taller crown - like the vintage Fedora-style dimensions (ie taller crown)?

Here in the UK all I can see when I go into the shops that do sell hats are modern lower crowns, huge brims etc.

thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Hey! Long time indeed.

I like the Akubra Capricorn myself - https://hatsdirect.com/products/capricorn, though it might not be as high / tall as you're after. Best I've ever seen was a Peters Bros (I think?) Straw that was an Indy fedora, but straw. Never been able to track one down, I think they stopped making them. Some of the Sunbody range look like they would be great, though I've held off ordering from them in the past as shipping to the UK is prohibitively expensive.

Michael Smith

New in Town

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi all!

Long time, no post. Can someone recommend a straw hat, but with a taller crown - like the vintage Fedora-style dimensions (ie taller crown)?

Here in the UK all I can see when I go into the shops that do sell hats are modern lower crowns, huge brims etc.

thanks!
Put a WTB ad in the classifieds here. Be specefic....they will come.
B

Hi all!

thanks!

I can second the Peter Bros. Recommendation if you like hemp Milan. It’s a custom so you can specify crown height and brim width etc. it’s also reasonably priced, but you’re limited in colors…it think just two. Prices were surprisingly low for a custom hat. However, my understanding is they have a finite number of the raw hat bodies and no more are coming.

EA972C9A-2ADA-4A45-8FB7-7D38EA168D0C.jpeg
B6C2B423-8AE3-4280-8D55-088413EEC729.jpeg

I can second the Peter Bros. Recommendation if you like hemp Milan. It’s a custom so you can specify crown height and brim width etc. it’s also reasonably priced, but you’re limited in colors…it think just two. Prices were surprisingly low for a custom hat. However, my understanding is they have a finite number of the raw hat bodies and no more are coming.

View attachment 426453 View attachment 426454
I like that hat.....a lot!

matei

One Too Many
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll enquire as to the Peter Brothers people, although they might have issues sending something to me over here.

I did look at the Capricorn as well, something to consider as I'm not a straw purist; I have a synthetic straw one now and it deals with the copious amounts of perspiration without staining.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi all!

thanks!
Heads up....@BillHughes has a 71/8-1/4 Peter’s Bro straw in the classifieds right now. Nice hat...very nice price.
B
I believe it’s unsold

Edward

Bartender
Heads up....@BillHughes has a 71/8-1/4 Peter’s Bro straw in the classifieds right now. Nice hat...very nice price.
B
I believe it’s unsold

Oh, yes! Good call. Looked at that myself, but it's just a touch too big for me to get away with.

If you're also interested in something on the more budget end to see how you go with it, Village Hats have some options that have a more classic look here, if you pick through them. https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/collections/mens-straw-hats?page=1

I'm looking at some of these myself ahead of going on holiday next month. Never hurts to have several options in a straw. Makes all the difference in the hot months when furfelt becomes unbearable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ