Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Panama Fedora

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Would like to purchase a reasonably priced men's straw panama fedora in size 7 1/4. Prefer it to have a leather sweatband but will take a cloth if that is all that is available.

I'll look around, Walter; although most of my straws are in seasonal storage...

Only Panamas, or would a Milan also be of interest?

Sorry for the delay in this response, Walter, but now that I understand your intent for this lid, the one you have selected isn't bad. I also would suggest you take a peek here, at Panama Hats Direct's seasonal Sale page. Good luck!

I would not put much faith in a seller's circumference measurement when it contradicts the size tag... difficult to do right. A 7 1/4 should be approximately 22 5/8. Ask for the head opening measurement and compare to a hat that fits you well. And keep your pending auction prizes under your hat, if you know what I mean.

BTW, a good panama body can often be blocked up in size. It will require some investment, a knowledgable hatter and removal of the existing sweatband. But for a fine quality woven body, it is worth the effort.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer the leather sweatbands. Some cloth ones (for instance, Capas) are made of a material I find very irritating to my skin, and I'm not usually very sensitive to such things. One straw I'd recommend is the Sunbody: they have cloth headbands that are very comfortable, they're reasonably priced, and, best of all, you don't have to worry about getting them wet. Here in Miami that's important, as you never know when the weather will suddenly change.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might also check out Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth. I bought a very nice black Stratoliner-style Milan from them last spring and really like it. They had a deal for Lounge members back then: I think I paid $100.00 instead of the regular $150.00. Very nice guys to deal with as well. I'm seriously considering another one, possibly in the dark brown.
As JM said above, the Sunbodys are a bit heavier than the usual Panamas, buy if you wear one pretty much every day, as I do, you find them to be eminently practical. In addition to the other good points I've mentioned, you can run some water over them and shape the hat any way you like. Nice, reliable little straw for not a lot of money.

William G.

One of the Regulars
Sorry in advance for such a longwinded post. A couple of thoughts on this...

I went through a straw hat search last spring / summer, mainly to have sun protection at car shows. I wanted the tightest weave I could afford. I looked everywhere I knew to look in Louisville and neighboring cities for straw hats, but everything I found in store was shellacked stiff and the style was not at all what I wanted, or it was floppy cloth, or the weave was loose and I knew it wouldn't work for sun protection. After doing some research, I learned that a surprising majority of "straw" hats are actually made of paper, even in the higher price ranges. Just because it's paper doesn't automatically mean it's bad, as there are a lot of shantung straw hats that are higher-end and really nice looking. But, for whatever reason, I really wanted a natural straw hat. I think I was under the impression natural straw would hold up better to rain than paper straw (which, I've now learned, isn't exactly true).

I ended up buying a Havana Sorrento in natural color from http://www.ultrafinopanamahat.com (interestingly enough, that color option is no longer available).

I can't speak to the quality of all their hats, but the one I bought is a very nice hat—natural straw, no shellacking, extremely light. Well worth the money. I steamed it a little to shape it more to my liking, as it arrived with the brim fairly flat. When I ordered, I thought the hat had a leather sweatband, but the sweatband is, in fact, cloth. I won't speak to durability, because I've only worn the hat twice. Both times I wore it were all-day events with temperatures in the mid-80s to 105 degree range, and both times the hat kept me fairly cool and comfortable. For me, the cotton sweatband is extremely comfortable. In fact, the hat fits so comfortably I forget that I have it on. The only complaint I have is that I sweat a lot both times I wore it and the sweat seeps through the stitching they used to affix the leather band on the outside of the hat, resulting in dark circles. Both times, when the hat dried, the dark spots went away. I've debated re-banding it, but for now I'm happy with it. Here I am the first time I wore it.

1902022_10153114939312581_180801740047995970_n_zpssbjialfy.jpg

If you look through their site, you'll have to click on both "Panama Hats" and "Fedoras" to find all their straw hats. They have some lower-priced straw options mixed in with fedoras, but I believe only the Panama hats are made of Ecuador straw. I'm not sure if the others are paper straw or natural straw sourced elsewhere. Obviously, the finer the straw and the tighter the weave you want, the more expensive the hat will be.

Another option I wish I had known about last year is the Akubra line of hemp hats. I probably would have bought an Akubra Balmoral instead of my unltrafino, simply because of the cost difference. http://www.australiangear.com/akubra-balmoral-hat-natural.html#product-tabs

The Balmoral has a leather sweatband, depending on the size (my size has a cloth band, unfortunately), and a nicely finished leather hat band. I assume it's heavier than straw, but I would also assume the fabric is breathable. I really like how the weave looks like a Milan hat. I'm still tempted to order the Balmoral because of the weave, even though it otherwise looks a lot like my straw hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass