Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching a hat - advice please....

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
I'm currently seeking out a quality hat stretcher. I've been following a few on ebay, but most of what I see are sized 6 3/4. I wear a 7 3/8 long oval, or a 7 1/2. Will a hat stretcher that small do me any good?

I measured accrosse the opening of my hats (front to back) at 8 1/2". Will at 6 3/4 hat stretcher expand that far?

Thanks for all your good advice.

NonEntity

Suspended
It would be helpful to us to know exactly why you need the hat stretcher and what kind of hat(s) you need it for.

If you just need to keep your fur or wool felt already in your size from shrinking after it gets wet or to return it to its original size, the Hat Jack is a good one. They come in S, M, and L. Being a 7 3/8 Long Oval, you would go down one size in this stretcher from a M to a S.

davidmorgan.com carries them for $21.00 + $7.00 S & H UPS Ground.

If the hat is more than one size to small to begin with, have it stretched my a professional.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
jd, the hat stretching topic is an ongoing topic around here. Many tell you that you can't go up more than 1 size. That is bunk. I use a vintage stretcher purchased off of ebay like the one pictured. I have SUCCESSFULLY stretched a size 7 Stetson, a size 7 1/8 Borsalino and a size 7 1/4 Adams up to my 23 1/8th noggin. Time, water, Lexol and patience are required. My stretcher is a size 7 if that helps.

80ea_1.jpg

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
stretch

I have two fedoras that are both 7 3/8 but since I'm a long oval they feel tight across my forehead. I just want to stretch them a bit longer. I don't really need to go up a full size, just about halfway.

My concern is that the smaller sized hat stretchers (6 1/2 or 6 3/4) may not extend to a full 8 1/2 inches that I need...Any recommendations for the size I need?

I've seen the Hat Jack, but I've read concerns about them in other threads, so I thought I'd grab a vintage stretcher.

Anyone have any tips?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Hat Stretcher

For your needs a Hallett brand stretcher would do just fine. From size 6 1/2 to 9. They sell every day on ebay.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
jdbenson said:
I have two fedoras that are both 7 3/8 but since I'm a long oval they feel tight across my forehead. I just want to stretch them a bit longer. I don't really need to go up a full size, just about halfway.

My concern is that the smaller sized hat stretchers (6 1/2 or 6 3/4) may not extend to a full 8 1/2 inches that I need...Any recommendations for the size I need?

I've seen the Hat Jack, but I've read concerns about them in other threads, so I thought I'd grab a vintage stretcher.

Anyone have any tips?

jb my size 7 vintage goes up to 7 3/4 on the size scale. this may give you some insight as the range a stretcher size will go. Based on your comments concerning size, a size 7 or 6 7/8ths vintage stretcher should work fine for you. I have a Hallet and that is why I bought the vintage one. My Hallet now resides in a box, while my vintage gets exclusive use. If I came on a little strong in my prior post please accept my apology. I just grow tired of mis information being spread. My comment are based on actual experience not what I have heard.

P1020015.jpg

P1020014.jpg

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
No foul

Bud -

No apologies needed. In fact, after reading the so-so reviews of the Hallet (and Hat Jack) stretcher, I agree with you. I've pretty much got my heart set on a vintage. The only fedora I own that actually fits well is a new one purchased from Batsakes which Gus Miller steamed and stretched a bit to fit my big ol' haid. Try as I might, he wouldn't sell me one of his stretchers so I'm watching ebay.

Thanks for your advice, size-wise, I'll look for a vintage size 7 and up.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Just a comment - I have a vintage hat stretcher, sized 6 3/4. My best guess is that this is the SMALLEST the stretcher will go. But it does open up to much larger settings. I'm a 7 1/4 and it works fine for me. I regard those size marks as minimums, not maximums. Others - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also - I'm thinking that it would be pretty easy to use my hat stretcher th shape wide ovals if I cut out some thin wood C-shapes on a bandsaw and taped them over the front and back of a standard shaped stretcher. Anyone else tried this?

(I have a Shopsmith bandsaw but I bought it in need of some repair and re-fit and haven't gotten to it yet, or I would have already tried this.)

Ande1964

Practically Family
I used my badsaw to trim off the sides a little on one of those modern, cheapie hat jacks. It works pretty well as a long oval stretcher. If you're stretching very much, it really does help to dunk the hat in water first.

Never had a vintage stretcher, so I can't compare that to the modern ones I've used.

Anj

tm3

Familiar Face
i think that i read that the size marked on the vintage stretchers is the minimum, and they will go up about 3/4 more of a size. so one marked 7 will go to 7 3/4.

good luck finding a vintage on ebay at a reasonable price. i've seen ones that i have been after go for close to $50. maybe they are really worth that, but i wonder.

i've gotten frustrated with ebay and think i'm going to give a "hat jack" a try.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
http://www.rentonww.com/Hat-Jack-p55120c71-path7,71.html

I don't see how there'd really be any difference in the end result using the modern "Hat-Jack" as opposed to using a vintage version of what seems to be the same device.

Can't you see the difference? The wood on a vintage stretcher extends all the way around and the screw is much bigger.
The wood on a hat jack has a tendency to swivel out of square.
BTW. putting the stretcher in the hat gives one a nice handle to hold onto when steaming the brim or crown.
Bob.
1972819285_cf583abdf3_m.jpg

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Spellflower said:
Bud, have you had any problems with increasing taper when stretching?

Spellflower, here are photos after the stretch, I will let you be the judge.

The Borso from 7 1/8 to the 23 1/8th or just over a 7 3/8ths
P1010226.jpg

Here is the Adam 7 1/4 taken up

MVC-423F-1.jpg

I will have to take a photo of the other hat that I mentioned. I think that you can see, that taper is not a problem.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Hat Stretcher

I use a stretcher for only minor tweaking of the size, I to am a long oval and I like the ability to make the jaws of the stretcher go out of square to each other. Custom hatter use a conformer to get a more exact copy of everyones imperfect head. I do not like a drop in stretcher to go up full sizes. I find it leaves a very noticeable taper in the crown. It can also throw the flange of the brim out of whack and make it quite wavy.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Looks pretty good to me, Bud. I'm just a little nervous about trying this out on my beautiful 7 1/4 Resistol Ten Townley- it's so nice that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I messed it up. But I figure if I'm patient, and go slowly, that I'll notice the beginning of any problems before it's too late.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Bud-n-Texas said:
jd, the hat stretching topic is an ongoing topic around here. Many tell you that you can't go up more than 1 size. That is bunk. I use a vintage stretcher purchased off of ebay like the one pictured. I have SUCCESSFULLY stretched a size 7 Stetson, a size 7 1/8 Borsalino and a size 7 1/4 Adams up to my 23 1/8th noggin. Time, water, Lexol and patience are required. My stretcher is a size 7 if that helps.

Bud, your stretched hats look good. Do you just put Lexol on the sweatband before you stretch them? Do you soak the crown in water before you stretch them, or just mist them with water?

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
SP, patience is the key, just a little at a time. Make sure that you put some Lexol (or other leather conditioner) on the sweat, spray water on the felt and just do a little at a time. I usually get the result that I am looking for in 2-3 days. I check and adjust 3 to 4 times each day. Never had a problem yet. Good Luck and show us your results.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
toobacat said:
Bud-n-Texas said:

Bud, your stretched hats look good. Do you just put Lexol on the sweatband before you stretch them? Do you soak the crown in water before you stretch them, or just mist them with water?

I can't stress enough keeping the sweat supple with the Lexol. I first started using the product on my saddle and reins, one of the best conditioners out there as far as I am concerned. Then yes, I use a mister water bottle, but at the start I do use it very heavy inside and out. As the process goes on lighter amounts of water are needed it seems. Hope this helps, like I said before patience is the key.

ideaguy

One Too Many
A number of years ago my hatter friend sold me a vintage stretcher for
my 7 3/8 hats- the size of the stretcher was 6 3/4. That's all...been working
fine ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko