Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studies in Scarlet, gypsies,tramps and thieves.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Inspired by Mike's photoplay thread, here's some of my old books:

Some Sherlock Holmes, nothing fancy as anything remotely interesting is horribly expensive, still they look better than the Penguin omnibus.
P7240016.jpg

This one puzzles me, Greig apparently first illustrated S.H. in 1895, yet there's no mention of The Sign of the Four, Adventures or Memoirs, all pre-1895. The White Company first came out in 1892.
P7240021.jpg

Here's Herbert Asbury's studies of the S.F., New Orleans, Chicago and N.Y. underworld around 1890, give or take 20 years.
P7240011.jpg

These are my hobo stories.
Jack Black's novel is my favourite book, for the last decade I've been collecting articles, letters magazines and books by and about the guy.
Mike has the photoplay of "Beggars of Life", I haven't seen the movie.
Tom Kromer's "Waiting for nothing" tells about the Great Depression at it's very worst. I still have to find/buy an old edition.
P7240009.jpg

P7240010.jpg

This is my smallest sub-collection: Taxidancers, one book, a ticket from Melbourne, two "Jetons, bon pour une danse" from the Bal Musettes in Paris.
And I have a 78 of Annette Hanshaw singing 'Ten cents a dance'
P7240004.jpg

Hope you like 'em, M.M.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Mose said:
Inspired by Mike's photoplay thread, here's some of my old books:

Some Sherlock Holmes, nothing fancy as anything remotely interesting is horribly expensive, still they look better than the Penguin omnibus.
P7240016.jpg

This one puzzles me, Greig apparently first illustrated S.H. in 1895, yet there's no mention of The Sign of the Four, Adventures or Memoirs, all pre-1895. The White Company first came out in 1892.
P7240021.jpg

HEEEEEY! These are excellent! I love your collection! A lot of stuff I am not familiar with but would love to be! Them-thar's living, huh?! :)

I don't know how I missed this thread before! I am definitely perplexed by some printings of books. Often they don't list the most recent pressing date but rather just the original date... even if it definitely was printed at a (slightly) more recent time.

I have a question for you. Do you know if there is a dating system for books that included illustrations which had thin tissue paper bound along side them? Presumably this was so the ink from the illustration-page didn't bleed onto the text on the regular page, or vice-versa....? But the tissue paper is only present besides one illustration. Is there a decade that occurred in that the technology evolved to make it unnecessary anymore? Was it ever necessary for that matter? I've got a strange Man Who Laughs copy that I originally thought was from the 1910/20's for some reason, but now that I'm looking at it again, I wonder if it's much older? :eusa_doh: "Uncle Ed" gave it to "Louise" as a gift in 1932, and the only printing date on it is listed as 1888. It was printed by Thomas Y. Crowell Co. and has incredible illustrations throughout by Rochegrosse.

Mine generally aren't all that pricey, it's just knowing what to look for and biding your time. (And drunk ebaying... which I've since put a stop to haha) I just picked up a photoplay version of Seven Footprints to Satan, the 1928 old dark house extravaganza film for a whopping... 3 bucks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR