Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stumbling Upon Fabulous Movies

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Just because I have been stumbling upon some rare flicks
lately I thought it would be cool to start a thread where we could
all chime in on that one movie we saw which you never even
knew existed....and you were blown away by the performances!

I have been quite lucky lately...Harold & Maude & now this one.
Unfortunately, they always come on at some gosh awful hour so
I have to stay up super late...but it has been worth it.

So ~ To kick it off ~

A couple of nights ago on IFC I saw

=Secret Ceremoy= (1968)

Starring: Elizabeth Taylor, Robert Mitchum, & Mia Farrow

Summary:
Leonora, a prostitute, mourns the death by drowning years earlier of her daughter. She encounters a strange waif-like girl, Cenci, who bears a strong resemblance to her lost child. Cenci is herself struck by the great resemblance of Leonora to her own mother, whose death the mentally unstable Cenci has been unable to accept or even acknowledge. The two women quickly develop a symbiotic relationship, moving in and out of the illusion that each is the lost loved one of the other. The complicating factor is the arrival of Albert, Cenci's stepfather, whose incestuous attachment to her may well be the cause of her mind's unbalance. With Albert's arrival, no one in the strange trio is safe. (from Imdb)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
What movie was that??

A long time ago, in a channel I can't remember I stumbled into this weird post-war italian film. I caught it too late to know what was going on, but it involved angels and a large community of homeless folks. I distincly remember a scene where the bums were gathered around some fella, and then top hats appeared out of nowhere on their heads, and another scene where they rode flying bicycles, but above all, I recall it had a very swinging jazzy score. Anyone seen something like it? It sure was fabulous!

Could it be Miracle in Milan? I haven't seen it myself yet as I've been trying to track down a copy of this picture for about ten years. The only VHS copy at the New York Public Library was never returned.

Once upon a time an old woman discovers a baby in her cabbage patch. She brings up the child and, when she dies, the boy, Toto, enters an orphanage. Toto leaves the orphanage a happy young man, and looks for work in post-war Milan. He ends up with the homeless and organizes them to build a shanty town in a vacant lot. The squatters discover oil in the land and Toto sees a vision of the old woman who gives him a magic dove that will grant him anything he wishes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043809/

Regards,

Senator Jack

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Could it be Miracle in Milan? I haven't seen it myself yet as I've been trying to track down a copy of this picture for about ten years. The only VHS copy at the New York Public Library was never returned.

Once upon a time an old woman discovers a baby in her cabbage patch. She brings up the child and, when she dies, the boy, Toto, enters an orphanage. Toto leaves the orphanage a happy young man, and looks for work in post-war Milan. He ends up with the homeless and organizes them to build a shanty town in a vacant lot. The squatters discover oil in the land and Toto sees a vision of the old woman who gives him a magic dove that will grant him anything he wishes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043809/

Regards,

Senator Jack

Yes! I think that's the one. Thanks senator!
(Now back to our regularly scheduled programming)

Rafter

Suspended
I just saw the underrated Woody Allen film, "Everyone Says I Love You" on the IFC.
It's well known that Woody Allen is a big fan of cinema, and therefore it is not unreasonable to assume that this film is Allen's tribute to the classic musicals of yesteryear.

The star cast is what initially allured me to give this movie a chance and I'm glad I did. For this film, Woody Allen put together a terrific cast which includes the likes of Drew Barrymore, Edward Norton, Julia Roberts, Goldie Hawn, Alan Alda, Tim Roth, Natasha Lyonne and Natalie Portman. Not to mention Woody himself.

EveryoneSays.jpg

Allen injects the perfect whimsical tone and sweetness of all of those great musicals of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Occasionally an actor might sing and not sound too right- Roberts being one of them.
The Soundtrack for this musical comedy draws on standards of the 1930s and 1940s.

The standouts are,
Just You, Just Me (Ed Norton)
My Baby Just Cares for Me (Ed Norton, Natasha Lyonne)
I'm a Dreamer (Drew Barrymore)
Makin' Whoopee (Timothy Jerome)
I'm Thru With Love (Woody Allen)
All My Life (Julia Roberts)
Cuddle up a Little Closer (Billy Crudup)
Looking at You (Alan Alda)
If I Had You (Tim Roth)
Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think (Patrick Crenshaw)
Chiquita Banana (Christy Carlson Romano)
I'm Thru With Love (Goldie Hawn)
Everyone Says I Love You (Christy Carlson Romano)

I must say that musicals don't really appeal to me, maybe it's because I'm young and accustomed to more action and special effects from today's typical style... but this movie totally surprised me! This is 100 minutes of lightweight wonder. It has no rough edges, no difficult issues, no cruel jokes and very little swearing. Only the coldest heart could fail to warm to this little flic. And Drew is a real charmer!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Legend of 1900 sounds rather bizarre, but it's really a good movie. An abandoned newborn is found on an ocean liner on New Years Day 1900, which becomes his last name. One of the stokers raises him in the engine room. Since his parents & place of birth are unknown, no birth certificate exists, so he has no passport and can't leave the ship. The only world he knows is on board ship, and he grows up on the liner and becomes a legendary jazz pianist. There's a showdown with he & Jelly Roll Morton as to which is the best pianist. There's a delightful concert during a big storm with the boat rolling with the high seas. A musician happens across a wax cylinder of some of his music and decides to see if the legend's true or not.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Rafter said:
I just saw the underrated Woody Allen film, "Everyone Says I Love You" on the IFC.
It's well known that Woody Allen is a big fan of cinema, and therefore it is not unreasonable to assume that this film is Allen's tribute to the classic musicals of yesteryear.

The star cast is what initially allured me to give this movie a chance and I'm glad I did. For this film, Woody Allen put together a terrific cast which includes the likes of Drew Barrymore, Edward Norton, Julia Roberts, Goldie Hawn, Alan Alda, Tim Roth, Natasha Lyonne and Natalie Portman. Not to mention Woody himself.

EveryoneSays.jpg

Allen injects the perfect whimsical tone and sweetness of all of those great musicals of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Occasionally an actor might sing and not sound too right- Roberts being one of them.
The Soundtrack for this musical comedy draws on standards of the 1930s and 1940s.

The standouts are,
Just You, Just Me (Ed Norton)
My Baby Just Cares for Me (Ed Norton, Natasha Lyonne)
I'm a Dreamer (Drew Barrymore)
Makin' Whoopee (Timothy Jerome)
I'm Thru With Love (Woody Allen)
All My Life (Julia Roberts)
Cuddle up a Little Closer (Billy Crudup)
Looking at You (Alan Alda)
If I Had You (Tim Roth)
Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think (Patrick Crenshaw)
Chiquita Banana (Christy Carlson Romano)
I'm Thru With Love (Goldie Hawn)
Everyone Says I Love You (Christy Carlson Romano)

I must say that musicals don't really appeal to me, maybe it's because I'm young and accustomed to more action and special effects from today's typical style... but this movie totally surprised me! This is 100 minutes of lightweight wonder. It has no rough edges, no difficult issues, no cruel jokes and very little swearing. Only the coldest heart could fail to warm to this little flic. And Drew is a real charmer!

I love this movie. :D

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I viewed the French film Cache' (2005) last night. This film has the most shocking scene I've ever seen in all the zillions of film I've viewed...and I am not easily shocked. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
This isn't really an "unknown" film, but it was unknown to me at the time!

The movie was ROMANCE IN MANHATTAN (1935) starring Ginger Rogers and Franz Lederer. I recorded a movie, watched it, and this one was on afterwards so I decided to watch it, too!

From what I remember it was gorgeous. Great camera work and wonderful performances by the leads, especially Franz Lederer who almost had me crying!

Unfortunately, the tape ran out before the end and TCM hasn't shown it since :(

dr greg

One Too Many
cutting remark

Quigley Brown said:
I viewed the French film Cache' (2005) last night. This film has the most shocking scene I've ever seen in all the zillions of film I've viewed...and I am not easily shocked. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
yes it was interesting, although I found it strangely dissatisfying at the end even though I'm definitely not one for happy hollywood endings...the reference to the massacre of algerians right in the centre of paris in living memory is also noteworthy, but I might be verging on forbidden territory by raising that topic.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Some years ago, I stumbled upon a late night movie that was a goodly number of years ahead of its time. It was about race relations, racism and bonding among women.

The movie is Pinky, and stars two of the greatest character actresses, the two Ethels: Barrymore and Waters. Also Jeanne Craine who plays the title role.

A good film.

karol

mikepara

Practically Family
Just watched Onegin...Wow what a movie. Starring Ralph Fiennes and Liv Tyler. The costumes are fantastic. Never mind golden age! I very nearly thought about buying some 19th century clothes.

In the opulent St. Petersburg of the Empire period, Eugene Onegin is a jaded but dashing aristocrat - a man often lacking in empathy, who suffers from restlessness, melancholy and, finally, regret. Through his best friend Lensky, Onegin is introduced to the young Tatiana. A passionate and virtuous girl, she soon falls hopelessly under the spell of the aloof newcomer and professes her love for him.

Don't be put off by the 'love' thing. It's not a love film at all, more a lost love obsession. Great stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119079/plotsummary

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found spending time perusing Netflix listings will reveal many bygone movies that you completely forgot about until you see them described again. You get that "oh yeah, THAT movie," spark and can't wait to see it once more.:)

Rafter

Suspended
I was going through a pile of VHS tapes that belonged to my dad the other night and came across the fun and somewhat dated film, "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice".
It's a very satirical look at the changing and confused sexual mores in the 60's.

Robert Culp, a successful, sophosticated filmaker, and his wife the beautiful Natalie Wood go to a sensitivity encounter institute just to observe, but get so involved that they decide to test their relationship with an affair with someone else. They test their new freedom with their best friends Elliot Gould and Diane Cannon, who are confused by all this, especially when they wind up in four to a bed. This film has lots of funny and insightful moments.

pm-poster-full.jpg

docneg

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne said:
The movie was ROMANCE IN MANHATTAN (1935) starring Ginger Rogers and Franz Lederer. I recorded a movie, watched it, and this one was on afterwards so I decided to watch it, too!

From what I remember it was gorgeous. Great camera work and wonderful performances by the leads, especially Franz Lederer who almost had me crying!

Unfortunately, the tape ran out before the end and TCM hasn't shown it since :(
Good movie! I have it on VHS, message me.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
There is a cool little spy/suspense thriller from 1965 called The Satan Bug. It stars George Maharis (from Route 66), Richard Basehart, Anne Francis and Dana Andrews. Directed by John Sturges who also did The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, and Ice Station Zebra.

The plot involves a super secret germ warfare lab in the desert of southern California, being broken into. The thieves steal a germ called The Satan Bug which if released will kill off all life on Earth with in 6 months. Then they start to make demands.

204754.1020.A.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner