Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style for not so fit body

Kfz

Familiar Face
Hi Everyone: l m a older men thin (6 ft 175 lb, but not so thin on belly waist (37”). l found most Racer jacket that fit me well will show my belly. The ones won’t show belly will be too loose and long elsewhere. I was looking for a high end racer jacket, like McCoy or equivalent., but was afraid that they will have the issue.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
In theory anything with a front drop (longer front curve length) combined with non-agressive taper will fit well and hide the extra pounds. Most Japanese jackets I have are cut this way. There is only about 2" drop between chest and hem and most have a longer front.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do you mean by 'racer jacket'?

I would personally advise against the Japanese jacket suggestion; even quite slim people often look fat in them due to the bad patterning.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I’m round shaped and I truly think a classic double rider/cross zip/ Brando jacket works the best. The lapels give weight and breadth to your chest and shoulders, while the belt cinches in your waist. Well, my waist!
I can post pictures in a minute to show what I mean.
Also a good option is the 3/4 length belted touring coat, like Belstaff Trialmaster in leather.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Good call TWolf, I tend to think in terms of biker jackets to the point of forgetting there are other styles

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
When I was bigger, a boxier cut with a shawl collar worked really well. Something like Himel's Heron or other cossack style jackets with boxy patterns.

Observe

One Too Many
Honestly, I think the Aero Highwayman pattern would work well for extra weight around the midsection. Not a "racer" jacket per se, but you may find it is loose in the right places. In my experience the thing has about as much taper as a garbage bag, so it should hide your gut.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I'm not that far off being that I'm 180.5cm (5'10.5"), 74.1 kg (163 lbs) and have a 90 cm (35.5')belly lol.

I wouldn't say Japanese jackets will not fit well as the average Japanese man is on the slightly rounder side so a maker that knows how to fit a taller fuller Japanese man can make a pattern that is quite complementary.
Freewheelers and the Real McCoy are pretty good in that regard.

Unless the op shares his's measurements we're all guessing here. But a slim cafe racer or trucker might not be the best choice, x-zips, highway man, cossack, car coats, work coats will work very well.

Having said that, I have seen Canuck Panda pull off a ton of different styles and he's probably around the OP's size, sorry my friend if you are not lol :p

The motor style jackets I would definately try if I was the OPs size would be:
The Thedi classic motor jacket
https://thedi-leathers.com/product/mtc-127920-black/
https://thedi-leathers.com/product/cafe-racer-mtc-127920/
or the European motorcycle jacket 20s-30s style
https://thedi-leathers.com/product/mtc-1279107/

These seem to fit guys will fuller builds very well.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, I think the Aero Highwayman pattern would work well for extra weight around the midsection. Not a "racer" jacket per se, but you may find it is loose in the right places. In my experience the thing has about as much taper as a garbage bag, so it should hide your gut.
Yeah that's a good point. The original highwayman is very generous.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Well, I was just looking at the measurements I sent to Aero for my PHWM and noticed I have a wider belly measurement than the ones being listed here, but I wouldn't consider I have a "beer belly" of any sort... I'm 179 cm (5'10") and last time I weighed myself, I was around 84 kg (around 185 lbs). My measure stomach was 96 cm (~37-3/4 in) over a shirt and 97 cm (38-3/16 in) over a sweater. Maybe I have a more squared body shape?

20230323_161652.jpg
20230328_183157.jpg

Anyway, I really like how my PHWM and my Dominator fit... They have 20.5 in and a hair under 20 in hem openings, respectively.

20230511_191126~2.jpg
20230527_203447~4.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’ve got about high 36” around the mid section for a while now, it gets harder and harder to shed the extra one pack as I age.

As for Cafe Racers I do believe the new RMC J100 will fit the OP just fine and hide those extra pounds. I have the old one and it’s Y shaped and I have to suck in. The new one is ) ( shaped like my Rainbow Countries, I’m sure it will work, I’m very similar shape as OP.

I’ve found that the jacket can be | | or \ / shaped or even Y shaped, as long as the back panel has a ) ( curve, that’s the trick for shape illusion for the one pack abs body.

sshack

A-List Customer
You would think... but I find my highwayman accentuates my girth. The bad kind of girth.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
To me, as a larger girth fellow (though much less than I used to be) I found the HWY man, A1's and A2's suited me best as far as paunch went. Crosszip styles not so much. The main factor being that my shoulders were always wider than my waist so it worked out no matter how big I was. I used to wear a 52 now I'm down to a 48 in most styles sometimes a 46. You're already much smaller than I am but I think any of the three I mention would work if you're not a classic "apple" or "pear" in the upper body. I've found though over the years that NO jacket is going to make you look like Captain America if you're not shaped that way. Skinnier cats can fake broad shoulders but not the other way around. The pics you provided seem fine to me. I think you look good in the jackets you have.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner