Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylemaster restyled

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
More work on my poor Akubra Stylemaster...

I cut the brim down to 2 1/4", and sewed on the 2" ribbon and wind trolley. I think the brim width is now more in line with the low crown.

stylemaster_redo01.jpg

stylemaster_redo02.jpg

stylemaster_redo03.jpg

duggap

Banned
Joel, looks like you did a nice job on the brim. I looked at the pictures real close and couldn't find a single screw up. Now, I have a couple I would like to send to you for some adjustments. ;) Just curious, but on my monitor the first two pics look grey and the last one looks brown. Which one is it, I kind of like that grey look.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
The hat is a dark charcoal gray. On my monitor, the last picture is the most accurate.

For the brim, the key is a really sharp pair of scissors.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Joel, I like the result. I agree about short-crowned hats often wanting short brims to match.

The brim edge looks somewhat rounded, but it could be my imagination. Did you do anything special to round the edge? BTW, I agree about needing really sharp scissors to do a nice job easily.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Looks great!

You called that one just right . . . Normally I would not think to go as low as 2 1/4 . . . But it fits you to a T.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
After cutting the brim, I thoroughly soaked the edge in cold water, and then let it air dry. That sort of plumped up and smoothed out the edge. A much more successful technique than I expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff