Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styling this 1950s Harris Tweed Jacket

Jade88

New in Town
Picked up this 1950s Harris Tweed jacket yesterday, with what I thought was an interesting color and pattern. I'm not exactly sure what to call said pattern?

Oddly it looks black and white up close and in photos, but when I put it on appears to be a medium brown.

How do you guys wear these coats? I was thinking classic khaki chinos with brown derbys, something sporty, but I'd love to hear how about how everybody else wears these historic jackets.

Attachments​

Attachments

• received_1780604592366170.jpeg
    received_1780604592366170.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • received_7816174215078355.jpeg
    received_7816174215078355.jpeg
    916.5 KB · Views: 39
  • received_420668663939703.jpeg
    received_420668663939703.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • received_321988483703644.jpeg
    received_321988483703644.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • received_985778879623817.jpeg
    received_985778879623817.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • received_1398924154087919.jpeg
    received_1398924154087919.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Picked up this 1950s Harris Tweed jacket yesterday, with what I thought was an interesting color and pattern. I'm not exactly sure what to call said pattern?

Oddly it looks black and white up close and in photos, but when I put it on appears to be a medium brown.

How do you guys wear these coats? I was thinking classic khaki chinos with brown derbys, something sporty, but I'd love to hear how about how everybody else wears these historic jackets.

Attachments​

I have a collection of contemporary and vintage tweeds. I wear most of them as casual jackets....grab n go. I always have one sitting by the door ready to throw on as I leave the house. It is mild here save for a few months of the year so can wear my tweeds 10+ months of the year. I wear mine with blue jeans, boots, either an oxford cloth shirt, maybe a vest as well, or over a waffle henley shirt. Any hat goes with them from a Lord's hat to a semi western and all styles in between. I just try to wear a hat colour that complements the jacket.

Jade88

New in Town
I have a collection of contemporary and vintage tweeds. I wear most of them as casual jackets....grab n go. I always have one sitting by the door ready to throw on as I leave the house. It is mild here save for a few months of the year so can wear my tweeds 10+ months of the year. I wear mine with blue jeans, boots, either an oxford cloth shirt, maybe a vest as well, or over a waffle henley shirt. Any hat goes with them from a Lord's hat to a semi western and all styles in between. I just try to wear a hat colour that complements the jacket.
I like these ideas, keeps the rural spirit of the garment. The denim might make them less stuffy. What type of Oxford shirt? Crisp plain white or a pattern?

I like these ideas, keeps the rural spirit of the garment. The denim might make them less stuffy. What type of Oxford shirt? Crisp plain white or a pattern?
I always have a light coloured plain blue classic Oxford ironed and ready to wear in the closet. I also have a very light yellow one for the very brown tweeds. My favourite tweed jacket has lines of burgundy in it so I just purchased a dark burgundy dress shirt to wear with it.

I think the beauty of these blazers is that can go up or down dress wise. To me they are most comfortable as casual wear. I have a few I wear with jeans or chinos and chucks but I’ve also dressed them up with a vest and tie. Tweed jackets are classic and versatile. It’s its own rabbit hole to collect if you aren’t careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner