Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sucked in! And fit question

Jimmy Shinki

Familiar Face
words of wisdom right here. Also remember, that when you see modeled photos of what marketing people want us to see in ads, there's a lot of stuff going on off camera to make the jacket or whatever clothing look perfect. Stuff is being tucked in, pinched, taped, stretched, etc. Unless you go full blown custom or just have the perfect body that particular clothing was designed on, it's hard to achieve 100%. You might get lucky, but will probably take you a handful of jackets to understand correlation of manufacturer to measurements to style to leather type to functionality to fit, etc.

Agreed. Mind you, this place is very helpful to get a head start with those different nuances of various manufacturers. I'm sure the info on here will help me to limit jacket misdemeanors

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thedi is amazing with fits, his patterns are amongst the most intricate. This jacket was custom made when I was 10kg more, and still fits well enough for me - wearing it with a t-shirt here.
MrmGSx5.jpg

If you want a good fitting jacket that will still look good with 5kg variations, Thedi will sort you out. And no need to overthink it. He will tell you the measurements he needs and make you the jacket you need.

There are other makers that have good patterns as well, but if you are looking at a Thedi, there is nothing else remotedly close to what he does. His style is very unique.

Edit: I posted this thread after a big weight loss, 10 to 15kg, depending on when I got the jackets. It should give you an idea how jackets look with a big weight loss.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/red-devil-fit-checks-evolution.101045/

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Unless you jump on some serious cycle your workouts in the gym should not affect your sizing, atleast not in shoulders and chest. And as for belly fat, you would have to put on like 10lbs to elevate yourself to the next jacket size in the belly area. Don‘t overthink it, just buy one that fits well without giving you the latex-superhero-skintight look and you will be perfectly fine with a few pounds more or less on your frame.

I think it‘s a smart move to start out buying second hand and get a feel for how different styles and different makers jackets fit. As Carlos pointed out, sizing and comfort can differ vastly with diffferent makers and styles despite similar shoulder or ptp measurements.

If I were you, I‘d try to pick up a used Vanson Enfield or similarily styled Schott or Johnson Leathers for like 200-300 bucks from the bay and go from there.

Jimmy Shinki

Familiar Face
Thedi is amazing with fits, his patterns are amongst the most intricate. This jacket was custom made when I was 10kg more, and still fits well enough for me - wearing it with a t-shirt here.
MrmGSx5.jpg

If you want a good fitting jacket that will still look good with 5kg variations, Thedi will sort you out. And no need to overthink it. He will tell you the measurements he needs and make you the jacket you need.

There are other makers that have good patterns as well, but if you are looking at a Thedi, there is nothing else remotedly close to what he does. His style is very unique.

Edit: I posted this thread after a big weight loss, 10 to 15kg, depending on when I got the jackets. It should give you an idea how jackets look with a big weight loss.

MrmGSx5.jpg

Thanks Red Devil. I'm considering a couple of Thedi jackets. They look awesome and the buffalo hide has caught my eye. I'm a little doubtful about the outward flare on the hem but that's not a deal breaker. Before I pull the trigger on a thedi, I'll be picking up a couple of used jackets to hone in on fit.

Jimmy Shinki

Familiar Face
Unless you jump on some serious cycle your workouts in the gym should not affect your sizing, atleast not in shoulders and chest. And as for belly fat, you would have to put on like 10lbs to elevate yourself to the next jacket size in the belly area. Don‘t overthink it, just buy one that fits well without giving you the latex-superhero-skintight look and you will be perfectly fine with a few pounds more or less on your frame.

I think it‘s a smart move to start out buying second hand and get a feel for how different styles and different makers jackets fit. As Carlos pointed out, sizing and comfort can differ vastly with diffferent makers and styles despite similar shoulder or ptp measurements.

If I were you, I‘d try to pick up a used Vanson Enfield or similarily styled Schott or Johnson Leathers for like 200-300 bucks from the bay and go from there.

No cycle here. Lifting is a good hobby for me but I'd never be so obsessed with it to bother with that crap.

I've got one second hand jacket on the way and will keep an eye out for one or two more. Hopefully that will help me dial in sizing. Thanks for the advice. Glad you folks are confirming that 5kgs either way won't make much difference. Thought it best to ask the question though. It's quite an investment and I'd like to get a new jacket that's as close to spot on as possible.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Focusing too much on measurements and thinking all your jackets should have the same measurements is a classic mistake i made.
A cafe racer, a half belt, a cross zip and an overcoat should not all have the same pit to pit to fit you well, different jackets with different functions should have different measurements.
The way the maker does things also influences measurements quite a bit.
Aero for example have an oversized pit to pit in most models, whereas other makers like Lewis can make very tight jackets in the pits that still feel great.
Rather than looking for a specific number it's IMO better to figure out your range.
For example i know that 22-24" is a good starting point for P2P for me, shoulders i ignore as long as it is between 18 and 21". Sleeves i can do 25 to 27 depending on shoulder width (19 shoulders with 26 arms will be similar to 20 shoulders and 25" arms or 18" shoulders with 27" arms).
Back length, 24.5 to 27 works depending on back shape.
The most important thing for me is bottom hem, i want it to be 20-21", anything larger looks like a bag.
20.5" bottom hem is my sweet spot, i can do 21.5" if it's a big coat or a winter jacket, but it's the only measurement that can be a deal killer for me.
1" more or less in the bottom hem has far more influence on fit than 1" in the pit to pit.

Your posts are always informative as you are someone very detail oriented in your thinking. One aspect often overlooked is the bottom hem measurement which you emphasized is very important. Whether one is V-shaped, pear-shaped, apple-shaped or shaped like a stick as I am has a drastic effect on overall fit. Your statement "1" more or less in the bottom hem has far more influence on fit than 1" in the pit to pit" is of utmost importance, and overlooking hem measurement is perhaps the most common cause of an ill fitting jacket. It's all about proper symmetry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk