Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suddenly it's suede :-(

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just received a US-Authentic AN-J-4 from eBay. Lovely condition. Fits perfectly. Only one thing...
IT'S SUEDE!!! :(
All the requisite goatskin pockets, sleeve chaps, etc etc...on very finely SUEDED sheepskin.

It's enough to turn this handsome 40s flier's garment into something more appropriate behind the wheel of a '79 Eldorado.
73434.jpg

Here's the tricky part...
- The seller didn't mention suede in the listing.
- The photos he provided were kind of "meh" quality.
- They show a low luster to the sheepskin that could easily be the standard, chromed finish. (Here's another example: my US-A M-444.)

What say you, fellow Loungers? Is this not quite truth in advertising? Or am I stuck with the thing?

dnjan

One Too Many
Are those pictures in the first link yours or his?
The wrinkle pattern in the leather really looks like top-grain; I've never seen a pattern like that in suede.

That said, I have seen a wrinkle pattern like that embossed onto cheap suede, but one wouldn't find leather like that (embossed grain) on a decent jacket.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dnjan, the pix in the first link (the 4-in-1 montage) are those the seller provided.

dr greg, the "inner ring" is a knit cuff. I have the same thing on my M-444.

Seller is stating "no returns." :mad:

He's apparently a horsey type and treated the thing with tanners' oil, a fish oil used to soften heavy tack when it dries out. What that would do to the semigloss finished shearling, I don't know - could it suede the finish?

He could always be crafty and say it came to him this way, or that he didn't know he shouldn't oil it.

dnjan

One Too Many
Does it really look like those pictures in person? With that gloss/grain?

Starting to look like you have been victimized ...

cptjeff

Practically Family
Dispute the purchase with e-bay or your credit card. If it was advertised as leather, he's in the wrong and you are legally entitled to your money back, "no returns" or not.

If he didn't specify material at all, then you're probably out of luck. you can still try disputing the charge with your card, and they may still reverse the charge.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Can you post a pic of the current state of the jacket?

The pics from the seller look like its top grain leather and not like suede at all.

Pics of the actual jacket in your possession would help your case w/ Paypal or ebay.

GL - I hate dishonest sellers.

4266647483_52c578beda_o.jpg

RLM

Familiar Face
dr greg said:
Would have fooled me, a question though, the setting of the cuffs with an inner ring for want of a better description, does that have a technical term? I have the same thing on an old Police jacket I've just fixed up

Dr Greg, the technical term for those cuffs is "storm cuffs", a knit inner cuff designed to block the wind from going up the sleeve.

Fletch, that's too bad. In the pics you linked to it doesn't appear sueded to me either, so if it doesn't look like the pics, I'd say that should help your case. I had a cheap lambskin jacket once that looked a little like suede, just a soft, dull, slightly fiberous finish, but as it wore in over time, it smoothed out in the high wear areas and began to look less suede-like. I'm not suggesting you should give it time to wear, it appears that its had plenty of break-in time, just stating that apparently some lambskin can appear suede-like.

Erik

One of the Regulars
Of course, you could always purchase a '79 Eldorado and role pimpin'.

Sorry - I had to.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry that your purchase turned out to be less than satisfactory and hope things work out to your satisfaction.

And if possible, out of idle curiosity and in hopes of general education, please post some pictures of what was delivered.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
dnjan said:
Does it really look like those pictures in person? With that gloss/grain?

Starting to look like you have been victimized ...

Y'know, I sure wouldn't have thought it was suede by viewing the seller's pix.

I recently bought some surplus wool trousers from a seller with a "No Returns" policy. When they arrived they weren't what was expected in terms of size. I contacted him nicely and let him know I was aware of his policy but that I'd like to send them back to him (I paid that postage) and get a refund. He rolled right over and was nice and understanding. Hopefully, a calm explanation of your disappointment without accusing anyone of foul play will get a good resolution for you.

G'luck!

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
At least the pockets are leather

. .so they're not goatskin? So what? Your entire jacket is sheepskin (suede) so if you're worrried about durability . . .then do like that other Lounger did and cover your ENTIRE jacket in horsehide . .

Sound like a case of unmet expectations . . Was it a new issue piece from US Authentic? . . .Or was it a one off custom job from them . . .? . . Did you pay USA's $795 retail price? . . . .oh yah . . .Ebay . . .$399

If it bugs you . . . just relist it . . . and be done with it . . .

If it's salvagable to you . .. then add your own goatskin pockets and arm reinforcements . . .

Not a hard scenario either way

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I actually may keep it

1. I got it for a great price (as pointed out above).
2. It's warm and it fits just right.
3. It's not actually suede - it still has grain, has not been shaved or sanded (as pointed out upthread).
4. It's actually quite handsome once you get past the antiqued look of the sheep.
5. The seller was either dumb, in which case I can't blame him, or dumb-smart, in which case it's not worth messing with him considering points 1-4.
6. The dude is now on deployment. No one needs the hassle in that situation.
7. I could easily turn it around next winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic