Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede jackets?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Does anybody here own a suede jacket and can they recommend one? I noticed on Langlitz Japan that they're selling a Rough-Out Timberline in Sand Cowhide that's a beautiful shirt-style jacket in suede, and I'm just wondering if suede is a practical material for a jacket. It happens to be one of their least expensive jackets and not one you see everyday. The regular Timberline is just $875 and I imagine the Rough Out version is close in price.

http://www.langlitzjapan.com/timberline.html

I love suede/roughout items, but they're a ***ch to keep clean - at least in my decades of experience. Some things it's OK - my western boots and my German low boots for Soviet reenacting, but I gave up on anything I want to keep clean. I just got a pair of suede shoes this spring and they already look ilk ****. So, while I'm a very OCD, clean guy, I'm done with it unless it's for the aforementioned items I don't care about...

D

Deleted member 16736

I was afraid someone would say that. If I could invent a way to clean suede, I'd be rich.

subject101

One of the Regulars
I love suede/roughout items, but they're a ***ch to keep clean

I agree. I have a fonzy/dominator style suede jacket and a suede shirt. Suede is beautiful as long as you keep it brand new. I only wear suede when I'm very sure it's not going to rain.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a perhaps 1940s Californian deerskin sportscoat. It doesn't quite fit me at about a size 46,
but I can understand the appeal of that fine, soft material.

Saw a Schott fringe suede jacket at a flea market in NYC a couple of weeks ago (the one on Columbus,
near 77th, in the school yard if you are interested) around size 46. Not my style, but it was really nicely made.
Probably 1960s or early 70s. The quality was enough to interest me even though I can't imagine wearing a
fringe jacket.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Eddie Bauer used to sell what they called a washable suede. They probably still do. As I recall, those jackets went right into the washing machine.

On a side note, I have a couple of inherited suede jackets that are dry and hard. I wonder what I can do with those.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have a lot of suede jackets and shirts. Get yourself a top-notch suede brush kit or two...this helps a lot. My favorite skin by far when it comes to suede is capybara, although because it is the outer side is not technically a rough-out i don't think. The capybara takes on the rain and is tough and great-looking and warm. After that, I like boar: You can sometimes find an older boar suede or pigskin, which is heavy and rough but wears well over time as it breaks in. These both feel a bit more stiff/rubbery than the luxo suedes but are strong and don't snag easily and rain doesn't mess'em up like the designer/Italian luxury suedes out there. Same with rough-out deer, which is more expensive but more flexible, unless it's been lined too stiffly to hold its drape like some older brand-name light-colored Californians were. If you wear a suede shirt enough--or any suede--the nap first rises a bit as it roughens, changing the look, and then wears back down creating shiny spots that look good or bad depending on how you like worn leather or not. Just like it does w/shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran