Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUFFERING For Your STYLE

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pilgrim said:
"I'm a hodgepodge mix of FDR liberalism, Eisenhower conservatism, soft libertarianism, third-wave feminism, and old-fashioned personal morality -- who believes a woman's place is wherever she wants to be."

Lizzie, that's absolutely admirable. I love it!!

Agree!:eusa_clap

Shimmy Sally

Some people will have ridicules stereotypes and jump to conclusions about others no matter what is being worn.
I agree that some men assume that gals who dress "old-fashioned" are prissy, and in my case it's true. I'm a complete prude anyway. I don't smoke or use, rarely drink, never swear in front of children, not a fan of toilet humor, and don't put out (not a big fan of VD/STI). So my attire only scares off the debauched jerks I'm trying to avoid anyway.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
Why do folks like Wild Root feel such passion for authenticity? In part, it's a hunger to unearth and share truths about the past, to literally wear them -- even in the face of incomprehension and ridicule.

Yes - I think that expresses it very well. I've little opportunity to find true vintage apparel in my area, so I can't do as Wild Root does. But what I'm trying to do with the things that I am able to incorporate, is to come to a greater understanding of the time period I admire so much.

And this is the first time I've made that realization. Thanks, Marc.

I work in a very... I'm surrounded by Wal-Mart Fashionistas. OK MAN???!!!

:)

But something Shoeshine Boy said stuck with me, and I repeat it every time I look in the mirror and wonder if I'm too far "out there:"
"Ain't you reached the point in your life yet where you don't give a s**t what other people think??"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shimmy Sally said:
So far, like-minded polite gentlemen with ancient (yet cool-looking) cars that break down on our dates.
Sounds good! Now if only they were like-minded polite auto mechanics. ;)

I find it very interesting that your vintage style serves as a kind of sieve. A signifier that lets others know whether they should approach or stay away ... thereby letting you filter others "out" or "in".

Haversack

One Too Many
Over the years I've learned and come to enjoy playing with the language of clothes and of one's appearance. It has become something of a game to be able to blend into different venues and pass, if not as one of the inhabitants, then as someone who has entree'. To be able to play the flute or play the harp depending on where I am, if you will. An extenssion of dressing appropriately for the occassion.

I do not dress vintage. (Being 6'4" and 240 lbs. makes that something of a mugs game for me, alas.) I found this joint because of a love of hats and a rediscovery of the subtleties of dressing well. A fondness for movies of the 1930s and 40s and the general caliber of conversation available here dosen't hurt either. Still, I'd like to find a three-piece SB w/peak lapels in my size...

I can't claim to have suffered for my style, at least to my knowledge. More often, I've garnered compliments. Ususally, they are for my hats. Occassionally for my shoes. A couple of times when purposely well dressed for my entire appearance. Once I avoided harassment or a mugging because I was a bit too unconventionally dressed ("Leave him alone! He's Amish or something. Who knows what crazy s--t he'll do.") - I was wearing a button-down shirt and cravat, trousers, polished shoes, a woolen vest, and my cordobres hat. My whiskers, (think Emperor Franz-Josef), probably helped as well.

I find I dress up a bit for my train commute but dress down a bit once I am in my office. (Silicon Valley - where even the CEO dosen't wear a tie or suit) My habit of dressing up a bit before leaving work has not gone unnoticed. It is, however, accepted because I live in the City and it is assumed I often go out to dinner there after work. Again, it is playing with the language of appearance.

And the sieve comment is also quite appropriate. My wife has an saying that "men should be fuzzy and women should be curvy". It suits us very well. Use the right bait to catch the right fish.

Haversack.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Attraction

I've made my ex-boyfriend stop and stare.

I'm a bit like Shimmy Sally, but I don't think I attract any particular type. Everything from potheads to CPAs. But since I've made an effort to look nicer when running errands--even if it's just a skirt and sweetheart t-shirt--the guys in their 50s and 60s don't try to chat me up anymore.

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
I think in where I work it actually helps since it is different from what most everyone else wears. I work in a business casual environment and it seems that most people dress one of two ways: either as though they were going to a club or just barely on the business side of casual. In an environment like that anything different will garner attention and in most cases, from management, positive attention. In my personal life, I've found that it does work like a filter and it has attracted people in my life who appreciate my style. They may not always understand it, but they appreciate that it's individual and different and they respect that.

Wild Root

Gone Home
My turn.

The way I dress helps where I work, I work at an antique shop so, it helps me out there. I have many friends that like the things I like but, is this life style hurting me in finding a mate? You bet your sweet turkey it is! I find that the ladies… no, can’t call them that... I’ll call them the females… yes, the females I meet are all to concerned with being with a popular guy, a tough guy, a rich guy, or some one who’s on their way to being the next NBA superstar.

I’m to simple minded, too sweet, too nice and too available… and, too morally obligated to saving one’s self for after a major commitment is made such as marriage. So, I’m too old fashioned for this day and age. Yes, there are young ladies who share the same ideals as I do but, they have no interest in vintage or the things I like or enjoy. Old music turns them right off… they like modern, modern and more modern… that turns me way off!

So, it looks like Wild Root will walk the earth alone… misplaced in time I be… born way to late for my own good.

=WR=

Wild Root said:
I’m to simple minded, too sweet, too nice and too available… and, too morally obligated to saving one’s self for after a major commitment is made such as marriage. So, I’m too old fashioned for this day and age. Yes, there are young ladies who share the same ideals as I do but, they have no interest in vintage or the things I like or enjoy. Old music turns them right off… they like modern, modern and more modern… that turns me way off!

So, it looks like Wild Root will walk the earth alone… misplaced in time I be… born way to late for my own good.

=WR=

You and I both know that ain't gonna happen. You'll find someone somewhere just when you will have just about given up. Always happens. The last guy who told me that just had a daughter born a week or so ago. Now since he isn't likely to do that on his own---yes, he found his wife for life.
No need to be fatalistic and those qualities you described are good things not bad. I suppose your problem is that half the young ladies here live on the other side of the country. :D What say the ladies about Root's qualities?

Regards,

J

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty new at dressing vintage, just in this last year I've grown a great appreciation for the clothes and everything in my favorite era's 40's and 50's and love my daily quest for learning more. At first, my family gave me the most flack..thought it was amusing or something..now, they love it, or maybe just gotten used to it?[huh] My husband is still getting used to it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
NO kidding! Rob, maybe at the QM, you'll find a gorgeous vintage loving single gal[huh] ;) ..Seriously, you have very admirable qualities that are rare and sought after! :eusa_clap

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:

=WR=

First of all, you are not simple minded.......simplicity minded maybe.....quite a different thing.

I spent a fair amount of time hanging out with you and you are always fun to talk to about all sorts of topics, even the more modern ones that you wish you didn't know about ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany