Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket with Jeans

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You're Not Alone, SGB

SGB said:
I love jeans, to me they are the perfect piece of clothing.

"I have often said that I wish I had invented blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity - all I hope for in my clothes".

Yves Saint Laurent

jake431

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
I've never liked that look... I didn't like it when it became trendy, I don't think I would have done it in the late 40's and I sure as heck ain't going to do it now.

I'm going to step on some feet I'm sure but, I think if some one wants to look like the rest of the sheep, go ahead and do it... but, when I "Dress Up" I dress up, not halfway, not "Vintage but, not" but, all the way! Why buy and wear vintage if you're not going to wear it correctly? That is the one thing I lose sleep over... why spend money on expensive vintage clothes if you're not all that jazzed about looking classic. The whole "I like vintage but, I don't want to look vintage" thing is pretty "today" and I'm not impressed with it. The hobo look is something I'd only wear if I were a hobo.

I find when you wear a vintage article the right way, it doesn't only look better, it feels better and you'll get the most out of your look that way.

And Lucky Kat, AMEN! OC swing... it don't mean a thing if you don't dress for swing!

Not attacking any one, just venting my confusion in why it seems cooler to make vintage look modern. :rolleyes:

=WR=

I don't think I am taking my vintage clothes modern as much as I prefer a synthesis of many varied interests. So, flight jackets, black t-shirts, short, messy haircuts, a whole range of different era selvegde denim, jean jackets, ww2 era footwear, converse or purcells, Indiana Jones etc, it all gets blended up and worn. To me, it's all fashion, vintage or otherwise, thought I certainly appreciate the historical aspects of my more vintage clothes (being the History degree holding person that I am). I have fun with it, but I realize that to some it's more than that, and I respect their convictions. I just don't share them.

-Jake

Wild Root

Gone Home
SGB said:
My jeans and jacket look is modern not vintage and not trying to blend anything or conform to anything. Jeans, boots and a sportscoat is dressy by cowboy standards and not "hobo" in any way. I do have a couple of vintage short cowboy jackets that I always wear with jeans, they would look wrong otherwise. I love jeans, wear them everytime I go out, to me they are the perfect piece of clothing. Perhaps I'm not a fit here, not being interested in vintage clothes...........

SGB

Wasn't aiming my post to you, the Cowboy look isn't bad, vintage western short coats should be worn with jeans or, vintage H. BAR C. striped trousers. I'm friends with many who are into Rockabilly and they wear jeans all the time... mostly the wide legged vintage style with rolled cuffs... it's a cool tough guy look.

My gripe is say, wearing jeans with a suit coat or sport coat, button down shirt and tie... some like it, but, I don't care for it. I find a pair of khakis or gabardine trousers just looks so much cleaner and carries the classic look so much better. I find gabardine or soft woven wool more comfortable then denim... denim is a very casual wear in my opinion and is my ideal fabric to sport when working around the house, car, or getting dirty.

Like I said, I'm not trying to attack any one's personal style, I'm just confused why it seems more acceptable.

=WR=
PS. 40's western wear is very cool!

Wild Root

Gone Home
jake431 said:
I don't think I am taking my vintage clothes modern as much as I prefer a synthesis of many varied interests. So, flight jackets, black t-shirts, short, messy haircuts, a whole range of different era selvegde denim, jean jackets, ww2 era footwear, converse or purcells, Indiana Jones etc, it all gets blended up and worn. To me, it's all fashion, vintage or otherwise, thought I certainly appreciate the historical aspects of my more vintage clothes (being the History degree holding person that I am). I have fun with it, but I realize that to some it's more than that, and I respect their convictions. I just don't share them.

-Jake

Ok, now that I can understand... I think leather coats can go with just about anything... jeans, khakis, HBT's as long as it's not a pink TooToo! lol

Mixing vintage work wear or combat items is pretty cool and something that many Veterans did when the got home from their service. I've seen photos of men who served in the Air Force during WWII after they were home... still wearing Khaki shirts and pants with boots... looks pretty cool I think.

My thing is seeing some one wear a well tailored 30's or 40's suit coat with jeans and basketball shoes or something. Or, even women wearing beautiful gabardine suit coats over tank tops and jeans... and saying they're dressed vintage... sorry, but no.

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Or, even women wearing beautiful gabardine suit coats over tank tops and jeans... and saying they're dressed vintage... sorry, but no.

=WR=

i wouldn't be complaining if i saw more women about dressed like that...at least it's half-way vintage. better than no vintage at all ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
i wouldn't be complaining if i saw more women about dressed like that...at least it's half-way vintage. better than no vintage at all ;)

I really don't want to sound like some vintage Nazi but, I'm not crazy about half baked anything... just curious as to why some collect vintage, love old movies, enjoy the look of the clothes but, never wear it as it is intended... I guess I'll just shake my head over this one forever.

I've seen some women wear modern clothes with a vintage coat... it just looks incompleat and off ballanced which some may feel looks "Cute" I feel looking put to geather is more flattering.

When any one wants to look classy, give me a ring! Always happy to help.;)

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
I've seen some women wear modern clothes with a vintage coat... it just looks incompleat and off ballanced which some may feel looks "Cute" I feel looking put to geather is more flattering.

=WR=

oh, i was imagining them with jeans and tank-tops in a 40s way....you know sort of late 40s college girl.....in my head it looked great ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have some lady friends who have 40's jeans and wear them with nice plaid shirts or little blouses and saddle shoes... that look is cool but, the ladies I was referring to wear their hair modern, modern tight jeans and... yeah, you know, not vintage looking in any way. :rolleyes:

=WR=

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I wear a sport coat with jeans fairly often, especially when I'm doing something that requires me to wear something comfortable, durable and dirtiable (;) ), as on this recent outing to the Island (in Toronto).

ferry22.jpg
ferry2.jpg

adrive.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis