Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket with Jeans

Jay

Practically Family
Though I am not personally a fan of this look, while doing some reading a while back I found this trend is a lot older than I thought. While I had figured it was started some monthes or a year ago by some designer in Europe, I've seen this done by the Beats back in the late 40s. I also seen that James Dean was a follower of this style in the early 50s. I had no idea this trend was so rooted in history. Just a thought for you all.

frontmanvintage

New in Town
Are you talking an actual suit jacket - as in the top half of two matching pieces? Usually you can spot a suit jacket fabric pattern across the room, and I think it looks really tacky to wear with slacks or jeans. Or do you mean a sport coat that is made of a plain or patterned fabric, purchased as a single garment and meant to be worn with slacks or jeans?

Jay

Practically Family
I read it as suit jacket, however, it may have been a sportjacket. I'll do some more research tomarow

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
herringbonekid said:
i've seen many books on James Dean but never a photo of him in suit jacket and jeans. do you have one ?

Same here, never saw him don that look before. The only thing that comes to mind is that infamous picture of him strolling down boardwalk.

Steve

Practically Family
There are few things more repulsive to me than the trend I've been seeing of an untucked Polo shirt, jeans, and a suit/dinner jacket. And that includes all the variations thereof. It seems like such a cop-out.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
You mean The Globex Corp. Look?

grab9.jpg

Hank Scorpio: Homer, don't give up! They laughed at me the first time I wore jeans with a sport coat. I was the first wealthy man in America to ever do it, now they all do it! Ya ever hear of Mike Milken?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i think you would have seen this look more in the depression era among the working class. the difference is that men would have looked like this out of necessity, or without much thought. they wouldn't have spent ages in front of the mirror getting their jacket and jeans look down. here's a photo i've posted before (forget which thread) of some unemployed men circa '38.....

jeans.jpg

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I don't care what anyone says, the sport coat & jeans look is REDICULOUS!!! It's reserved for all those "cool" OC Swing dancers...jackasses! ...oh, did I say that out loud? vintage is style, OC has no hope.

SGB

One of the Regulars
I wear jeans and sportcoats a lot, have for years. Usually it is Wranglers and boots, as in the cowboy world that is dresssing up.

SGB

jake431

Practically Family
I think it's a nice pairing too; although I like vintage clothes, I don't especially like wearing them in vintage ways, so I guess that would explain my enjoying such a non-vintage look.

-Jake

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wear my vintage western sportcoat (tweed with suede yolk) with yeans, a belt buckle you could eat off of, a pair of black cowboy boots and my open road. It looks good, but otherwise I don't think it really works.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
It really depends on the quality of jeans. No faded spots, fake dirt, stains, holes, fraying...etc.

I wouldnt don the look but its not that bad looking.

SGB

One of the Regulars
McPeppers said:
It really depends on the quality of jeans. No faded spots, fake dirt, stains, holes, fraying...etc.

I wouldnt don the look but its not that bad looking.

My Wranglers are clean, neat, and usually creased, Cowboys don't like dirty faded jeans when dressing up, those are for working not "going to town".

SGB

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah Oh.....!!!

Sportcoat and jeans is my favorite casual, walk-about outfit...while wearing my prized Borso!

This fall I will add a whole new dimension to my coat and jeans presentation when I finally obtain my revered 'George Harrison' frock coat .... just so I can wear it with jeans and Beatle boots.

5256656e.jpg

I hope I won't be ostracized or ridiculed by giving in to this petty indulgence. I've dug that look since 1970! I can't help myself, such is the insidious effects of BM (Beatlemania).

-dixon cannon

Wild Root

Gone Home

I've never liked that look... I didn't like it when it became trendy, I don't think I would have done it in the late 40's and I sure as heck ain't going to do it now.

I'm going to step on some feet I'm sure but, I think if some one wants to look like the rest of the sheep, go ahead and do it... but, when I "Dress Up" I dress up, not halfway, not "Vintage but, not" but, all the way! Why buy and wear vintage if you're not going to wear it correctly? That is the one thing I lose sleep over... why spend money on expensive vintage clothes if you're not all that jazzed about looking classic. The whole "I like vintage but, I don't want to look vintage" thing is pretty "today" and I'm not impressed with it. The hobo look is something I'd only wear if I were a hobo.

I find when you wear a vintage article the right way, it doesn't only look better, it feels better and you'll get the most out of your look that way.

And Lucky Kat, AMEN! OC swing... it don't mean a thing if you don't dress for swing!

Not attacking any one, just venting my confusion in why it seems cooler to make vintage look modern. :rolleyes:

=WR=

SGB

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
I've never liked that look... I didn't like it when it became trendy, I don't think I would have done it in the late 40's and I sure as heck ain't going to do it now.

I'm going to step on some feet I'm sure but, I think if some one wants to look like the rest of the sheep, go ahead and do it... but, when I "Dress Up" I dress up, not halfway, not "Vintage but, not" but, all the way! Why buy and wear vintage if you're not going to wear it correctly? That is the one thing I lose sleep over... why spend money on expensive vintage clothes if you're not all that jazzed about looking classic. The whole "I like vintage but, I don't want to look vintage" thing is pretty "today" and I'm not impressed with it. The hobo look is something I'd only wear if I were a hobo.

I find when you wear a vintage article the right way, it doesn't only look better, it feels better and you'll get the most out of your look that way.

And Lucky Kat, AMEN! OC swing... it don't mean a thing if you don't dress for swing!

Not attacking any one, just venting my confusion in why it seems cooler to make vintage look modern. :rolleyes:

=WR=

My jeans and jacket look is modern not vintage and not trying to blend anything or conform to anything. Jeans, boots and a sportscoat is dressy by cowboy standards and not "hobo" in any way. I do have a couple of vintage short cowboy jackets that I always wear with jeans, they would look wrong otherwise. I love jeans, wear them everytime I go out, to me they are the perfect piece of clothing. Perhaps I'm not a fit here, not being interested in vintage clothes...........

SGB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick