Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit made from heavier wool

Anva

New in Town
Hi folks,

does anyone know where to find suits (online) made from heavier wool (13oz and up), not custom-made?

-Anva

Anva

New in Town
The points are: winter is coming and I don‘t much like that flimsiness of modern suits as opposed to the Golden Era ones... So I am going to check out Old Town for once! Thanks!

Hi, I have no idea of the weight, but I was in J.Crew recently and they had several flannel / tweed / heavy weight suits for the winter that were not flimsy at all.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree. I don't wear modern suits either. I was asking because you excluded made to measure. Do you need a "business suit" (dark and not too flashy) or do you wear suits for your own pleasure? Old town does offer rather informal country suits with a working class aesthetic. I like that but I don't know what you need except for the higher weight.

For myself I don't need to wear dark business suits at work so I often combine wool trousers with sportcoats. Most of them are vintage or Ralph Lauren.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Anva, are you looking for new or vintage suits. if you want vintage suits, put an advert in 'Classifieds' here on the FL and state exactly what size, style and colour you want. Maybe you'll be lucky. Also look throught 'Classifieds' to see if there any suits you like that didn't sell. Even if the advert was placed months ago, they might still have the suit waiting to be sold.
And check through on 'Vintage Finds and Deals'. Again, you might be lucky.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I remember back when it was extremely hard to find anything above 8 oz. wool for suits. Now we've moved toward wools being heartier. Fast food fashion will stay, but it's good to know that stout menswear has made a pretty good return since this forum has been around.

Anva

New in Town
I wear suits for my own pleasure and peace of mind, but I prefer darker colors... And it is not really important whether vintage or not (I do not own any vintage pieces), but I have a limited budget. But I like that so many people answered! Thank you!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
If classic, understated suits in darker colors are your preference, I'd suggest searching eBay for vintage suits from the '60s. Often times, these can be had for much less than older items, as long as they don't venture into the arena of high collectibility (e.g., bright, flashy sharkskins, etc.). In my experience, with modern tailored men's wear (especially suits) heavy cloth is something you need to either (a) get custom made, or (b) find seasonally from certain niche brands. Neither option is particularly budget friendly.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
. In my experience, with modern tailored men's wear (especially suits) heavy cloth is something you need to either (a) get custom made, or (b) find seasonally from certain niche brands. Neither option is particularly budget friendly.

There is also a geographical component as well. You'll have an easier time finding suits made with heavy cloth in Chicago than in, say, LA. You might recall the heavyweight stuff Marty Mathis used to post here from his shop in Minneapolis.

carldelo

One Too Many
I wear suits for my own pleasure and peace of mind, but I prefer darker colors... And it is not really important whether vintage or not (I do not own any vintage pieces), but I have a limited budget. But I like that so many people answered! Thank you!

Large sizes are hard to find in vintage, small sizes (less than 42, say) are relatively easy to come by.

I have a dark charcoal with red flecks vintage suit in very heavy wool that I will be listing here in the next day or two. I bought it from a vintage dealer on the lounge last year, and it is quite nice - fits me, but is actually too warm for my taste. It's quite large, a true size 46, trouser waist 39".

Thats right.. seems all the heavy vintage suits I come across are made for midgets.. or massive Gentlemen.. nothing in the 40-42 sizing at all..

That's unfortunate.

It's like Guttersnipe said, to buy heavy weight fabrics for suits and other tailored garments, you either have to buy custom or seasonally from certain niche brands. Both of these choices are rather expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner