Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitable Short Hair-Do for a 12yo Girl...

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
My 12-year-old niece who has a round face currently has a layered shoulder length haircut and it looks really nice on her. The thing with long layers is that whether you straighten your hair or let it dry wavy it looks good either way! Also, layers will take weight out of her hair and make it less prone to tangles and overall much easier to manage. For a round face, I don't think you should make any layers shorter than where her chin is as it will probably make her face look rounder. You probably don't want to go too short all at once either, especially if she really likes her hair. When I was 13, I decided to get my long hair cut into a short chin length bob and I really hated it because it made my round face look bigger and it made me feel disproportionate. I wasn't very happy!

She could go with this without a fringe:
hts-300x407-drewbarrymore.jpg

or maybe a little bit shorter like this:
Kate_Winslet.jpg

This is basically the cut that my niece has right now:
zetajones_wideweb_470x326_0.jpg

:)

cecil

A-List Customer
Selvaggio said:
I did actually show her a picture of Sinead O'Connor and suggested that we would have her her cut like that if she didn't start looking after it properly....

But that is exactly the kind of MEAN and BEASTLY father that I am and it is why I have RUINED her entire life!!!...stomp...stomp....stomp.....door slam!

Haha, this is what I got. My mother was a lot more "beastly" than you though, I can remember once when I'd let my hair get so tangled that neither of us could brush it out, she marched me into the bathroom (by my hair), held a razor to my scalp and asked me where she wanted me to start! I pointed, sobbing, to my hairline..after what was (at that point) the longest and scariest 30 seconds of my life she put the razor down and banished me to my room with my hairbrush. I was not allowed out until it was silky smooth. I'm telling you now, after that my hair didn't have a snag in it until a few years after I left home. lol

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Oooh... I was that kid in junior high school with the big, wavy hair, but the more someone suggested I do something with it, the more I dug my heels in.

Even though she's only 12, are you opposed to her using a leave-in conditioner or frizz tamer to smooth it down a bit in the humid days? Another suggestion: go to a book store and buy some hairstyle magazines and fashion magazines that cater to young teens. Let her look at pictures and encourage her to cut out syles she likes and put them in a notebook so she'll feel like she's got a say in the whole process. Some styles are more suited to coarser hair and she might find that just a small tweak here and a little shaping there could make a big difference.:)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I threaten the 16 year old that I'm going to shave her hair off 'cuz she has gotten into the habit of breaking her hair off when bored or reading, a strand at a time. Lol
Selvaggio said:
I did actually show her a picture of Sinead O'Connor and suggested that we would have her her cut like that if she didn't start looking after it properly....

But that is exactly the kind of MEAN and BEASTLY father that I am and it is why I have RUINED her entire life!!!...stomp...stomp....stomp.....door slam!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Selvaggio said:
At Casa Selvaggion we have a bit of a conundrum. Signora Selvaggio and I would very much like Singorina Selvaggio to cut her hair short(er) for a number of reasons including: each morning there is much drama fighting tangles with the brush and also our climate in Sydney is very hot during our summer (we have already had days hitting 41/106 degrees). her current style is a management problem with swimming, particulalry with the salt water. There are other reasons, with which I shan't bore you.

You and your wife agree that your 12 year old daughter should have her hair cut shorter. The 12 year old child doesn't like it. What's the problem? Who's the minor, and who are the parents? IMHO, parenting isn't a democracy where the kid has a vote equal to the parents.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I had pretty long hair growing up. I always slept in braids and wore it in braids and pony/pig tails a lot. And I don't remember a lot of tangling. I slept in sponge rollers too.

My story is actually the opposite. I wanted to cut my hair into the bi-levels that were so popular, about mid 80s. My mom really didn't want me to do it, kept saying I'd regret it. Boy did I. I looked so awkward. I hate all my pictures from 5th to 7th grade.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
You and your wife agree that your 12 year old daughter should have her hair cut shorter. The 12 year old child doesn't like it. What's the problem? Who's the minor, and who are the parents? IMHO, parenting isn't a democracy where the kid has a vote equal to the parents.

You have/had a 12 year old daughter Mike?

:D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to know someone whose mother gave the "as long as you're living in my house" speech. At 16, he got fed up with it and moved out of her house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou