Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitable Short Hair-Do for a 12yo Girl...

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
At Casa Selvaggion we have a bit of a conundrum. Signora Selvaggio and I would very much like Singorina Selvaggio to cut her hair short(er) for a number of reasons including: each morning there is much drama fighting tangles with the brush and also our climate in Sydney is very hot during our summer (we have already had days hitting 41/106 degrees). her current style is a management problem with swimming, particulalry with the salt water. There are other reasons, with which I shan't bore you.

Little Selvaggio is less than thrilled at this prospect, but is at least talking about it.

So my question for the FL ladies' brains trust is what kind of cut would you suggest? What might appeal to her?

Our subject is a little tall and a little plump for her age (but not too much). She has very thick, dark blonde/gold hair - and slightly wavy (more so in these humid months). Like almost every girl her age at shool, she currently wears a medium long pony tail. She has a round face and is concerned that a shorter style will make her look chubby. I would be graeful for any suggestions.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Selvaggio said:
At Casa Selvaggion we have a bit of a conundrum. Signora Selvaggio and I would very much like Singorina Selvaggio to cut her hair short(er) for a number of reasons including: each morning there is much drama fighting tangles with the brush and also our climate in Sydney is very hot during our summer (we have already had days hitting 41/106 degrees). her current style is a management problem with swimming, particulalry with the salt water. There are other reasons, with which I shan't bore you.

Little Selvaggio is less than thrilled at this prospect, but is at least talking about it.

So my question for the FL ladies' brains trust is what kind of cut would you suggest? What might appeal to her?

Our subject is a little tall and a little plump for her age (but not too much). She has very thick, dark blonde/gold hair - and slightly wavy (more so in these humid months). Like almost every girl her age at shool, she currently wears a medium long pony tail. She has a round face and is concerned that a shorter style will make her look chubby. I would be graeful for any suggestions.

How a bout a shortish hair style that hits maybe to the top of her shoulders. She could get some cute layers and angels put in (around her face). Maybe also some long side sweapt bangs. She would still also be able to put her hair up. I know even at 23 being able to get my hair off my neck is key. It also get quite hot here in Virginia in the summer months and up is always a good thing. Also when I was her age my mom convinced me to cut my hair much shorter and I actually got a lot better at takin care of it myself. That one hair cute ended my mother helping me with my hair.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
My 10 year old periodlically (sp) gets her hair chopped basically for the same reasons. Too thick, doesnt brush it, and its too darn hot in the summers. She whines about it at first but realizes how much better she feals soon after.
I usually cut it somewhere between the shoulders and chin length, with bangs to her eye brows. She has a roundish face and large forehead, this haircut suits her well. She can still pull it back into a pony tail, pull it back with a head band etc. With the shorter cut and not so much hair weighing it down, she also gets a bit more of a wave in her hair with such.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Selvaggio said:

I have a round face, too, and short hair doesn't look good on me. I recommend a haircut not shorter than shoulder length. Any line or fullness at the jaw is going to make her face look wider.

She could get her hair layered. That would give her more style options and less propensity for tangles.

Her hair should be combed at least every morning and night and every time it gets wet. She should use hair conditioner if she isn't already--it makes hair smoother and easier to untangle. And perhaps she could wear a swimming cap.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Thank you ladies for your suggestions. So layers (to reduce the bulk?) and no shorter than shoulder length.

Main selling point: ease of care = less dispays of high emotion and more comfort

Wish me luck. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Layered, shoulder-length hair will still allow her to wear a pony tail or a big clip to get her hair off the back of her neck and keep her cooler. There will be less hair to get tangled, too.

As a start, long layers might be best--she can always get them cut shorter if she wants to.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the suggestions above.

I think a simple bob like this would look nice on her. She already has wavy hair so it would look good without the need of doing anything. I would just cut it a few inches longer than this, so that in summer she can still put it up on a ponytail. :)

curly25.jpg

a wavy bob like Katie Holmes, these kind of haircuts look good and are simple.
katie-holmes-short-bob23.jpg

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Ooooh If you could imagine the first model a bit younger and bit rounder she would bear a striking resemblance to mini Selvaggio. Same facial structure. Same hair colour (but with more of a wave than a curl). Very alike.

Signora Selvaggio thinks that is exactly the look which would suit our problem child. Trouble is she wants to spend hours with a pair-of-tongs thing making her hair all straight.:eusa_doh:

Thank you again for the suggestions all.

I am going to print that picture of Katie Holmes and show her. She is easily impressed by celebrity (you know, being 12 and all) - so that might do the trick.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Selvaggio, i know your daughter will look great with that haircut.... and if she wants to straighten it a bit it's not so hard to do it.... that bob looks good wavy or straight! ;) :D

cecil

A-List Customer
I'm wary about letting a 12 year old get a haircut which will require straightening it. I only just had the patience and discipline to do that regularly in late highschool let alone 12.

I have long, thick, tangle-prone curly hair and it was a pain in the butt as a kid. For this reason I'm going to agree with Paisley. Don't cut it so that it's too short to have in a ponytail, she'll just get grumpy at having to bat it out of her face all the time. Something that sits at the shoulders or just below with a little bit of layering at the bottom should be functional enough while still letting her feel 'pretty', if that makes sense.

Tell her that I feel her pain! I was allowed to have long hair but only if took meticulous pains to keep it tangle-free, which I did, but it was hard work!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
cecil said:
I have long, thick, tangle-prone curly hair and it was a pain in the butt as a kid. For this reason I'm going to agree with Paisley. Don't cut it so that it's too short to have in a ponytail, she'll just get grumpy at having to bat it out of her face all the time. Something that sits at the shoulders or just below with a little bit of layering at the bottom should be functional enough while still letting her feel 'pretty', if that makes sense.

I agree with this. If all her friends have long hair...cutting it to a bob anywhere above shoulders is going to leave her feeling out of style with them, no matter how cute it actually looks. And a sulky teen is not going to take -better- care of it....

I say if shortening it -some- does not help then yes...go shorter, but do this in stages....not the shock of all at once.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Selvaggio said:

Mr and Mrs Selvaggio have good reasons to have her daughter's haircut.

Nobody is suggesting her to have her head shaved.

A cute, practical, stylish , LONGER BOB that's what I honestly think will look the best on her. :)

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
Nobody is suggesting her to have her head shaved.

I did actually show her a picture of Sinead O'Connor and suggested that we would have her her cut like that if she didn't start looking after it properly....

But that is exactly the kind of MEAN and BEASTLY father that I am and it is why I have RUINED her entire life!!!...stomp...stomp....stomp.....door slam!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:

Yes--a few inches longer than this. Note that the model has an oval face. Again, a haircut that ends at the jaw is going to make the face look wider--not good on a girl with a round face.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Hello there Selvaggio!

I too have a daughter age 12 (in January). She has stick straight hair and thick however has always grumbled over knots, tangles... earlier this year she got into horseback riding english, to be exact, anyway she attended several shows and learned that her hair HAD to be in back braids (imagine Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz) along with satin ribbons / bows interwoven.
this was mandatory and believe me, she hated wearing those braids :rolleyes: although she looked adorable! at the time her hair was near elbow legnth.

About 2 months ago she got it cut to where it sits well on her shoulders. She has found this style much easier to keep and style via head scarves.
I guess at this age our young ladies are more concerned with other pursuits and have little if any patience for their locks. She also swims so bathing caps are easier to don with shorter hair.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Grant Fan said:
How a bout a shortish hair style that hits maybe to the top of her shoulders. She could get some cute layers and angels put in (around her face). Maybe also some long side sweapt bangs. She would still also be able to put her hair up.

I had this exact cut, practically, when I was 12. I have thick stick straight hair, and tangles were a huge problem. When I was very young I wore a China doll bob, and as I grew older, this cut meant maturity :)

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Thanks again ladies for your suggestions. We broached the subject over dinner last night and got "I'm not talking about it because I know you are going to make me do it".

Mmmm...so passive/aggressive and so young. I am discovering twelve is quite an interesting age for girls.

I, of course, was a paragon of good behaviour at the same age....

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
The other option is to let her wear her hair the way she wants. In the next year or two she will be concerned enough about her appearance. Speaking as a strong-willed child who fought tooth and nail with her mother over the style of her hair, it might behoove you to practice letting go. :) If she wants to look like a slob, let her. It's a phase and she'll grow out of. She can brush her own hair, or let it knot into dreads. She'll tire of the upkeep soon enough.

If you force her to cut it, there might be greater issues in the future. Pick those battles wisely. (I am giggling as I write this, so please don't think I am judging you....12 years old *IS* an interesting age....man oh mighty, yes.)

My father stood over my 12 year old brother at the hair salon in 1987, and told the stylist to keep cutting his hair shorter and shorter and shorter....and my brother came home crying. Things were honestly never the same between them. It was really awful.
As long as she is a good kid, don't sweat it.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Wise words. I really have no intention of making her do it. I just would like her to choose it herself - because I think it would be better for all concerned...I actually think she would be happier with it after a bit.

I am a firm believer in picking one's battles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes