Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's about time for a vest thread

GB Wool

IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

RL204

One of the Regulars
Iron heart N1 vest (I have since removed the zipper). I found the zipper could scratch the finish on some of my softer leather jackets. I really like using this vest in the winter to add some warmth and for the pockets as jackets like my D pocket have no hand warmer pockets.

59484952388__838A48C3-9F7B-495E-BA03-C64E106AF31B.jpeg
IMG_5973.jpeg

TLW '90

Practically Family
Interesting, I've never thought of wearing a vest over a jacket, but that doesn't look too bad.
I mostly like the kind of vests meant to be worn under a jacket though.
I have 1 vest that's a little larger might go okay over a jacket, but I don't think I have any jackets I could wear under it.
I'll have to explore this idea, maybe over a wool shirt jacket.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I was looking at the Schaefer Outfitters Cattle Baron wool vest on their website, but they don't seem to currently offer my size.

Anyways I found one in my size on Ebay new with tags, so I submitted an offer and am waiting to see if it's accepted.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just got my Schaefer vest in the mail and it was a bit too snug as I kind of started suspecting it might be.
I carefully removed the elastic sinch from the back, you can't even tell it was ever there and now I can wear it.
20231220_112759.jpg

I generally used to a more relaxed fit if you will, this is snug but not so much that I can't wear it.
At least it doesn't seem too snug so far, it isn't uncomfortably snug just not what I'm typically used to.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

The Aero looks great - which hide is that? I am working towards getting myself a couple of Shackletons, but I definitely want them with a leather back and not wool. (Truth be told, for most tings I try to avoid wool where it's possible, having had one too many things destroyed by moths over the years). Hope to pick up a couple of Pike vests as well, with the intent being that those will take the place of a blazer for the office when London hits that unbearable May / June/ July August hellheat.

Bronson have some very nice looking vests in their line, but I suspect to date they all fall about a size or so below what I really need. Hepville used to make some fantastic options, including the half-moon hunting pocket style that I really like, but then Bela took a break from Etsy about five years ago and I don't think has ever returned online anywhere - a real shame, loved the Hepville caps I have.

Al 916

One Too Many
Mine has a wool back.
It makes a large difference to heat retention compared to the front.
Works well for my raynauds.

Image taken wearing Lapasa thermal heavy top, Merino Submariner and Blackened Brown Shackleton.
Temperature is acceptable indoors

Raynauds - if in doubt over-layer......

Edward

Bartender
Mine has a wool back.
It makes a large difference to heat retention compared to the front.
Works well for my raynauds.

Image taken wearing Lapasa thermal heavy top, Merino Submariner and Blackened Brown Shackleton.
Temperature is acceptable indoors

Raynauds - if in doubt over-layer......

Definitely useful to have confirmed the wool is warmer. That's actually one of the reasons I intend to go for leather instead. I want to wear one of these as a slightly-warmer-weather alternative to a leather jacket (or layer up underneath). I've also considered the ideal of a heavy cotton back for that purpose, if available, though I like the idea of the leather as a bit more durable.

I'm with you Terry.
Simple is good. Unbranded padded lining Italian.

View attachment 572376 View attachment 572377

I like the four pockets on this. Don't see them often over here in a traditional waistcoat style but with the zip front. I like how the zip to my mind transforms it from 'leather waistcoat' to something I think more of as an outerwear piece. I can't say there's any logic to that, but....

I have the black version of this Helstons vest:

1703327700345.png

There's also a large, flapped pocket that covers the full width of the back of the vest. (I posted photos of me wearing mine somewhere on here last year, but can't see 'em to hand now.) I assume the back pocket is intended for gloves. I bought mine to fit as a sleeveless jacket rather than as an over-jacket vest. Did think about buying one big enough to do the latter, but in the end decided it would look odd worn without a jacket, and as I'd likely do that only very rarely... The primary purpose of this was to have a jacket of sorts with lots of pocket space for wearing when it is too hot to wear a jacket. In particular, I do a fair bit of flying, especially with work, in warmer weather, and it's so much nicer to not have anything in my trousers / shirt to empty at security. This has plenty of room in the front pockets for my passport, plane tickets, UK wallets and keys down one side, and down the other my mp3 player, foreign currency wallet (Chinese, mostly) and other bits. I get to security, this slips off and goes in the tray, easy-peasy. At a push, I can also do without hand luggage if I am able to travel light. I wouldn't put anything that might get thieved in the big back pocket, but it can be handy for a novel. Mostly, I've used it to stow a couple of USAAF A3 caps that I wear about in warmer weather. The one thing I wish is that it didn't have logos. That said, the small (metal) logo on the front is only about half an inch wide by 3/4" tall, and the sewn on logo on the back about the same size, so it's not too much of a compromise. (There's other, mc oriented gear I wouldn't touch because of obnoxious logos - including an otherwise really nice vest that was basically like a sleeveless, canvas A2.) Lining's a bit naff, but perfectly durable, and never seen when worn. Sturdy zip and studs on the front.

Found this one so practical flying in weather when it's too warm for a full jacket that I've also worn it other places in warm weather, particularly when I didn't want to carry a bag. Really chuffed with this - and it's not often at all that I find contemporary clothing designs I can tolerate wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner