Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's about time for a vest thread

TLW '90

Practically Family
Feel free to post all of your vests here.

I love wearing vests, they're practical for many reasons, and they're generally pretty affordable.
I just got this vintage deerskin trading post vest on Tuesday and it's quickly becoming a favorite.
20231128_143516.jpg

There's a timeless appeal to vests and they're practical / versatile, there's workwear vests, western vests, biker type vests,traditional hunting vests, and of course formal / dressy vests or "waistcoats " ( though dress clothes aren't my thing ).
They add an extra layer, provide extra pockets, and are sometimes just enough when a jacket could be a little too much.

I have a total of 7 vests right now with 4 that I actually wear regularly, but I'm sure I'll go looking for another when the Christmas shopping is all done.

I love wool vests, but it's been easier to find leather vests that fit me than it has wool vests.
20230212_154903.jpg

This vest here is definitely my most worn, made to order by a company in Idaho called C&C sutlery.
It's a nice quality wool, but probably only about 18oz.
If you don't mind the lighter weight they're a good affordable alternative to the Filson vest, which I mostly didn't buy because they don't make my size.
I think they're up to $100 now, but don't quote me on that.

TLW '90

Practically Family
This CalCraft was my 1st vest beyond the suede vest my grandmother bought me when I was 5.
20211014-124355.jpg

I bought it cheap on Ebay and wore it quite a bit back then, but that was before I knew what I liked and wanted in a vest.
I don't really wear it much anymore because I don't find it to be a particularly flattering fit, but I'm not ready to move it along yet because it is warm and comfortable.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I really love this Golden Bear vest, yet another vest that I got pretty cheap on Ebay.
20230925_075613.jpg

The sizing could be a tad smaller, but it's comfortable and I think the fit looks fine.
I don't know if there's any sort of name for this relative style of vest, but it's my favorite style.

I’ll be all over this thread when I get back home. Just wanted to relay a short story: Earlier this week I was already in my aisle seat while my flight continued boarding. A gent asked if I would let him pass to the window seat of the row I was in. As I looked up he had on a gray wool Filson vest. I commented “nice Filson”. He was a bit shook that I knew the vest and thanked me. We then discussed the filson wool and moleskin offerings. He wasn’t a vest aficionado though because he didn’t mention my kick ass IH 21oz indigo overdye vest. So I ignored the dick the rest of the flight.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I’ll be all over this thread when I get back home. Just wanted to relay a short story: Earlier this week I was already in my aisle seat while my flight continued boarding. A gent asked if I would let him pass to the window seat of the row I was in. As I looked up he had on a gray wool Filson vest. I commented “nice Filson”. He was a bit shook that I knew the vest and thanked me. We then discussed the filson wool and moleskin offerings. He wasn’t a vest aficionado though because he didn’t mention my kick ass IH 21oz indigo overdye vest. So I ignored the dick the rest of the flight.
Best morning belly laugh i’ve had in awhile J!! Thanks
Yea, there’s people that know….then there’s dicks that know people with good taste that give good gifts.
Makes you wanna give a lesson but realize it would just fall on a void brain housing group.
B

Best morning belly laugh i’ve had in awhile J!! Thanks
Yea, there’s people that know….then there’s dicks that know people with good taste that give good gifts.
Makes you wanna give a lesson but realize it would just fall on a void brain housing group.
B

Haha. He was a very nice guy. Loved Filson for sure and it fit perfectly.

TLW '90

Practically Family
This pioneer wear suede vest is another real favorite of mine, it's such a great quality piece and the best part is that it cost me all of $17.
20221220_124149.jpg

I've had good luck finding vests for well under $100 on Ebay and I don't know if I'll ever pay over that.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I found this vest cheap on Ebay a year ago and took a gamble on it.
Made by a company who normally breeds and auctions cattle but for some reason decided to venture into offering a wool vest.
20221031_112842~2.jpg

This vest is quite awesome with 2 layers of some thick substantial dense wool.
I really love it, but the fit is kind of big so I rarely wear it.
They got everything right except the size.
I can wear it, it's just not an under jacket kind of vest and I don't have a ton of days off when I can wear just a vest.

AHP91

Practically Family
Recently picked up a real mccoys reproduction of browns beach vest which came in. Super heavy weight mainly wool and I’m quite pleased with it. Probably going to be my cold weather work horse. Can't find a picture of it

I also picked up this old wool vest which from my limited research looks to be pre 1920. Harder to find bigger sizes from this era
Men's Black Vest

Men's Black Vest (4)
Men's Black Vest (3)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner