Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's about time for a vest thread

Fonzie

One Too Many
IMG_5448.jpeg
Mercy Supply Co. (now Sidnaw Co.) heavy waxed canvas vest, I love this thing. Super practical.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I find vests of all kinds are great for travel wear. My grandfather used to wear a vest with lots of pockets when he went to the airport as the pockets are great for storing all your odds and ends as you go through security. I have one of his old travel vests somewhere. It actually might fit me now.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I have all of my Christmas shopping done, so I'll be starting my search for another vest here soon.
I've found a few that interest me already, but I'll keep looking over the next few weeks and see what I find.
I'm leaning towards another wool vest, asherpa lined suede vest like I had when I was 6 , or some kind of western-ish leather vest with a lapel
Now I just have to keep an eye out, but I'm not planning to buy ASAP so I should be able to find something good.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I've visited various different clothing shops and saw a whole lot of cool stuff during my first (and only) visit to Berlin, but the only item that I brought back was a Pike Brothers vest in the their "elephant skin".
It's an XS size which is not available directly from Pike Brothers.
I wish the top was an S and the bottom was an XS. Currently it's a bit tight in the chest, forcing me to leave one button open when I wear it.
Also wish it had a bit more taper at the waist while flaring back out at the bottom hem.
No local tailors dare touch this thick fabric for alterations though.
1701942582719.png

1701942595712.png

1701942620631.png

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
These vests are probably not what the O/P had in mind when he started this thread, nonetheless here they are, I call them cash savers.

In my working life I would have to attend quite a few formal affairs where the invitation would state: "Black tie." That's posh frock speak for a dinner suit and black bow tie.
The kind of formal vest that these occasions demand can set you back quite a shekel or two, and for something that only gets used on such formal events.

"I will make you one," my lady suggested, "well thank you very much." Better still, she made two. The fabric was quite expensive but talking of expensive, shop bought, the price would have been eye watering.
waistcoats 002.JPG waistcoats 004.JPG
If you ever have to attend a black tie event, good luck with the vest, I don't rent out my lady's sewing skills.

Last edited:
I've visited various different clothing shops and saw a whole lot of cool stuff during my first (and only) visit to Berlin, but the only item that I brought back was a Pike Brothers vest in the their "elephant skin".
It's an XS size which is not available directly from Pike Brothers.
I wish the top was an S and the bottom was an XS. Currently it's a bit tight in the chest, forcing me to leave one button open when I wear it.
Also wish it had a bit more taper at the waist while flaring back out at the bottom hem.
No local tailors dare touch this thick fabric for alterations though.
View attachment 567798

View attachment 567799

View attachment 567800
You beat me to it. I’ve got one of these. Love it. The “elephant skin” is no kidding tough.
This one is the coolest vest ever.

Thanks! Constantine helped quite a bit. It’s based on the Thunderbird pattern. Octagon, X-150 and the tigerstripe camo lining was left over from a Vanson run of some jacket. The d shape is a bit different from the “regular” Vanson shape but I find it pleasing. And disregard the tag 42. Contrary to what some have said in other threads, Vanson will customize, from tweaking measurements on their patterns (what I did) all the way to a personal MTM session.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner