Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits and suit pants.

Marc Chevalier said:
Mayor Jimmy Walker patronized speakeasies, was on the take, and had lots of chorus girl friends -- though he was married. That's the unsavory part. The good part is that he was a very stylish dresser; was famous for it, in fact. Wore raccoon coats and always used spats, for starters ...

Wasn't he he chap that snapped down the side of his hat brim instead of the front? Anyone have a representative image? Preferably with odd trousers/jacket.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Like this?;)
walkerh3.jpg

Here's a shot of him with Amelia, nice outfit!
Earhart%20with%20Mayor%20Walker.jpg

He was a sharp dresser.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
p.s. The photo is gleaned from a book. I take no credit for finding it.

Oh brother, you have the book don't you? Well, you found it in the book did you not? So, in all fairness, you're going to take credit and like it, see!;)

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, so the first photo wasn't what we were talking about eh? Button counter. :rolleyes: :p

Yes, the last button I'm sure wasn't function able. I have a vest from 1938 that belongs to a suit and it has 6 buttons that work and one left to the side for decoration at the bottom. They did some interesting things back then.;)

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
More images of dapper mayor Jimmy Walker, though not in Oxford Bags.

In derby, fur collar and spats:
1351.jpg

Fishing in a trim double-breasted suit with high-cut armholes (Matt Deckard would be proud):
new_york_mayor.jpg

At a funeral in Budapest. Walker is at the far right, in the foreground. Note that his jacket is closed only at the bottom button:
00006665.gif

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
Looks like he's plotting the demise of the cameraman :mad:. Just you wait 'til we get back to New York ya schmuk! I know, ahem, people.

bk

Yes, he's not looking real happy about something. Maybe it's the fact he's at a funeral. Yeah, smiles don't come easy at those kinds of gatherings.

=WR=

havershaw

Practically Family
Just checked my closet, and I have a pair of 23"-cuffed pants, with a very high waist and a three-button closure. I haven't worn them because they came with a single-breasted, peak lapel suit that's a little small for me. I had it taken out once, but I think I'm going to have to have it taken out again to able to wear it comfortably. So it's been sitting in my closet for about a year!

I also have a beautiful dark mocha double-breasted three-piece pinstripe suit with 21.5" cuffs, and a black suit I bought from Art that has 21" cuffs. I've never really measured my cuffs before, but I'm aware that some are wider than others.

The double-breasted three piece is really a showstopper. I always knew the pants on those were pretty impressive. You'll hate me, but I got the suit for free from a friend of mine who was cleaning out her closet of vintage clothing (she'd worked for a vintage clothing store in Halifax, Nova Scotia). Just wearing the vest and the pants is pretty impressive, I have to say.

I also have a pair of 21" ivory flannel pants that I wore for the first time the other day - I took your advice, Root, and wore the d/b blue jacket! Very stylish, indeed.

havershaw

Practically Family
I will get my wife to snap a few pics of me in it tomorrow. I have come to the conclusion that the front of the jacket is just a tiny bit big flor me - a little roomy in the chest, and I need to get it taken in, so I haven't been wearing it that much of late. But I'll get a few pics tomorrow. It's a beaut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112