Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits - Pre 1920

simonc

Practically Family
not sure of date but gotta be close to pre-20's
kZd401C.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
That is probably mid 20s

Here is a jacket of mine No labels but made of pristine mohair for the summer
10178315_643973925638088_931480197_n.jpg

702447_643969155638565_1429959874_n.jpg

Last edited:

GBR

One of the Regulars
Interestingly for Canadian suits most have just three pockets in the trousers (not 4/5 associated with the USA) and many have just one inside pocket in the coats. A very English approach.

Boinciel

New in Town
Interestingly for Canadian suits most have just three pockets in the trousers (not 4/5 associated with the USA) and many have just one inside pocket in the coats. A very English approach.

This was fairly standard up until about the mid-50s up here, I think. Most of the jackets I've found from 1950 or earlier only have one pocket on the inside, opposite the outer breast pocket.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
These have been posted in another thread, but I thought they should also be in here:

Engineers in England on an outing (probably pre-WW1). They all seem to be wearing heavy tweed suits with low-set patch pockets on the breast:
cycleclub_zps8df9170c.jpg

cycleclubcrop4_zpse37563fe.jpg

cycleclubcrop2_zpsd3fad345.jpg

cycleclubcrop3_zps3d20b822.jpg

cycleclubcrop5_zps63d03bee.jpg

A group from the same engineering works (or trade union) circa WW1:
UnionHQAlexandraRoad_zps80a032d1.jpg

UnionHQAlexandraRoadcrop4_zpsf22044a0.jpg

UnionHQAlexandraRoadcrop2_zps910e57cc.jpg

UnionHQAlexandraRoadcrop1_zpsb05bc316.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Herringbonekid, if only modern suit makers could get the rise right, and use thicker fabrics, similar suits to those in the picture might as well be in fashion today. I believe that those trim late 1910s and early 1920s suits with the taper could fit in quite well with the slim fitting convention that is prevalent now, yet stand out tastefully.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Herringbonekid, if only modern suit makers could get the rise right, and use thicker fabrics, similar suits to those in the picture might as well be in fashion today. I believe that those trim late 1910s and early 1920s suits with the taper could fit in quite well with the slim fitting convention that is prevalent now, yet stand out tastefully.

There is so much else than just the rise to correct. The whole cut and structure is wrong today. There are so many details that need to be incorporated for the slim figure to work. A high rise won't save this:
7130444_990_2.jpg

But I certainly see your point.

Claudio

Vendor
In my opinion most (not all, but almost all) of the actual suits in early-mid 20's pictures are terrible fits, very very far away from the advertisment sketches of the day. These show very slim cuts, small shoulderlines, trim trousers, great breaks to the trousers etc. The pcitures show an entirely different fit to the suits (often really bad). I think its mainly actors and royality that look good in them IMO.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Same as today, then. Except that now actors usually wear bad fitting suits as well which leaves us with Prince Charles. :D

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Then as now the ideal physique for the trim and tight suits was slim and slender.
Few people (nowadays even less) fit that bill and therefore look quite unlike idealized models and illustrations.

Claudio

Vendor
What I mean however is that its almost as if the drawings were not at all like the final product (its a known fact that for example the heads were drawn lrager then the body and the small shoulders). Nowdays the models wearing the garmnets are indeed wearing the item 8and thus all you need is a model pysique) but in the early-mid 20's all the 'real people' were wearing ill-fitting clothes. If you flip through the endless lovely sketches of jazz suits and the like you will not find the picture equivalent. this however is not the case from the 30's onwards.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I disagree. Look at the red carpet pics of today's rich and famous and nearly all of them wear ill-fitting suits. If they can be bothered to wear suits at all.

Claudio

Vendor
I do not take todays red carpet as 'normal' everyday suit attire. I am Italian and so I take what Italians usually wear (suit wise that is), and like it or hate it, they are wearing what Italian brands are currenty selling and these are true to fit (most times). red-carpet events are indeed the worst place to look at for decent fitting clothes. However, my main point was regardnig 20's adverts to the actual pcitures of the era, rather than what is worn today. These are my observations so glad be corrected if there are more pcitures out there but lets face it, the usual pictures that we always see online are far from the sketches and drawings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21