Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits - Pre 1920

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
More from the Library of Congress:
25535v.jpg

1911:
06167v.jpg

09700v.jpg

1910-1915:
10474v.jpg

1913:
15488v.jpg

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Very nice pictures TT, thanks for sharing!

Today, me and my brother were visiting a old abandoned house that his ancestors used to live in. I found this 5 button jacket that I decided to bring back home.

It still had the original receipt in the breast pocket, dating it to 20th of July 1900.

As you can tell, it's way beyond repair, but it seems to be about my size (I haven't tried it on yet) so I'm carefully gonna take it apart and use it as a template.

Photo 2014-08-15 17 52 22.jpg Photo 2014-08-15 17 52 51.jpg

Boinciel

New in Town
I grabbed the source file for the top one and fiddled around with it. Here's a higher-resolution, saturated version.

03142u-b.jpg

Last edited:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Some recent eBay-pictures.

1894 dated, sadly too big for me. :(
073014108a.jpg 073014108b.jpg

Ca 1890s, once again a big size. :(
073014082a.jpg 073014082b.jpg 073014082d.jpg 073014082f.jpg 073014082j.jpg 073014082h.jpg

073014125a.jpg 073014125i.jpg

080614008a.jpg 080614008b.jpg 080614008g.jpg 080614008i.jpg

073014101a.jpg 073014101d.jpg 073014101h.jpg 073014101i.jpg

$_57.JPG $_57-3.JPG

1919 dated, mint condition.
mGNH2h7aRQlEL-5thFTMDRQ.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
some of the new members may have missed this thread. some nice illustrations from a 1918 catalogue:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Danforth-Mills-Crack-A-Jack-tailoring-catalog

danforth_mills_6.jpg

(notice that the term 'sack' is used for virtually every suit, whether it has darts or no darts).

(notice also that almost every scenario involves 2 young men and a young woman. what was the psychology here i wonder ?
perhaps they thought that if they could inspire a competitive feeling in the reader, they might be more likely to order a suit ?)

Last edited:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
some of the new members may have missed this thread. some nice illustrations from a 1918 catalogue:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Danforth-Mills-Crack-A-Jack-tailoring-catalog
Thanks, I had missed that thread.

(notice that the term 'sack' is used for virtually every suit, whether it has darts or no darts).

"Despite what you may have read, they are not called "sack coats" because they are oversized, loose, or otherwise fit like a sack. Sack, sac, sacque, etc. all refer to the way the back of the jacket is cut; i.e. "sack cut". This simply means the back is formed of two pieces only, cut relatively straight down, instead of being made up of four curved pieces with hidden pockets in the tails as on more formal and traditional coats such as tail coats, morning coats, and frocks."

http://www.waltontaylor.com/Glossary.html

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
it seems there was a period when Brooks Brothers began using the term specifically for an un-darted suit or jacket, and at the same time the correct use was widely being replaced simply by the colloquial 'suit'.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In the pictures from that thread, there seem to be some nice and interesting suits in general. I think the pants are beyond no break and too short, but these suits strike me as resembling a more idealized form of what modern suits could potentially look like, with heavier weights, more adventurous fabrics and styles, and less wrinkles. We just need more men to wear hats again, and we are not all far off from that look, among many of the young regular (often tailored) suit-wearing population in general. Think of the iGent or other types that wear their suits with taken-in waists and slim, shorter pants. I may be able to get somewhat close to the silhouette with my suits, although it is a stretch, as their fabrics are less robust and lighter weight, with somewhat lower rises, and lack details that make the ones in the pictures unique. They are closer, if anything, to '60s suits. It would be very interesting if by 2018, we get that much closer to this look, with the increasing rise of interest in classic clothing, as it would seem. That may be overly optimistic, concerning a very small population of habitual suit-wearers, anyway.

Here is a page of a fall/winter 1916 or 1917 ad.

9575842975_02bb4cf2b7_o.jpg

With the exception of the man on the far right, the pants have slight breaks. I've also noticed the complete absence of the bowler hats in the other ad, with two featured in this one. Were bowlers falling out of fashion right after WWI?

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
We just need more men to wear hats again, and we are not all far off from that look, among many of the young regular (often tailored) suit-wearing population in general.

i agree that there are lots of styles around that are similar to the late teens and early 20s styles; neat jackets, narrow trousers, striped shirts with contrast collars, bow ties, knit ties, Balmoral boots, a general interest in tailoring, looking 'groomed' as oppose to grungy.

but, there's always that modern take on the past which spoils it for the vintage obsessive; the too low trousers, the lightweight fabric. if menswear is all about the details then it's a case of 'so near and yet so far'.

It would be very interesting if by 2018, we get that much closer to this look, with the increasing rise of interest in classic clothing, as it would seem. That may be overly optimistic, concerning a very small population of habitual suit-wearers, anyway.

will suits be even closer to a late teens - early 20s look by 2018 ?
it's possible, but i doubt it for the same reasons as above. whenever a designer takes inspiration from the past they always want to modernise it in some way:

http://www.thefashionisto.com/phine...t-suits-gotham-inspired-fall-2014-collection/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner