Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer fedora

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I don't know what kind of summers you guys talking about "summer felts" have, but with the kind of summers jkingrph and I get, I couldn't imagine wearing any kind of fur felt hat in, no matter how lightweight, vented, or lacking of a liner it is. Our summers are hot and humid, definitely straw hat weather.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
This will be my first summer wearing a hat

and the only lightweight felts I have are my Dobbs Hankachif (kind of a Playboy clone, I think) and a nice Portis Tissue Weight. Both are very light but I'm concerned that they'll be too hot. The Dobbs has an unreeded sweat that's very thin, not sure if I want to chance sweating it up. I haven't had much luck with buying straws on OFAS, so I may have to look into something new.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Michaelshane said:
I've worn open road felt hats for years,winter and summer.No problem.Hats are for shade.

Yes, but you live in the Land of Enchantment; the laws of nature and of the material plane have no meaning there.;) lol

Jabos

A-List Customer
Last summer was my first wearing hats. No way to stand felt in Oklahoma in June, July, August. It didn't matter to me if the felt was heavy, light, no liner, holes, etc. It was just like wearing a solar panel on my head soaking in the heat. Straw makes all the difference in the world. I bought a cheap straw and it was great, felt like it actually reflected the sun rather than soaked it up. Believe me, I tried to wear felt because I love my felts and didn't want to put them away until September, but I just couldn't stand the on head sweatbox. My two cents.:)

scaber

New in Town
Summer hat

I have found myself in the same predicament while choosing a new hat for this summer. Every year we take a massive summer road trip and camp along the way. Typically we take up to 8 weeks and travel across country visiting National Parks along the way. This year we will leave Florida, head over to the Canyonlands area of the SouthWest, and then up to Calgary area, then back home. We do all of this with two kids in a Toyota Corolla. Anyway back to the hat predicament. I will leave my nice Panama at home. After a lot of internal debate I decided on a vented Akubra Leisure Time. I had them put three eyelets on each side in a triangular pattern. I am considering removing the liner but will wait to decide until I actually receive the hat. I worry a bit about the heat but more about the cramped conditions in the car. There is not a lot of extra room for hat storage while traveling. I guess time will tell. I'll let you know how it goes.

scaber

New in Town
Griff said:
Never thought about humidity. I live in an area that has high humidity with the heat. I guess I'll consider a straw.
Now I have to decide what kind of straw to get.

Sunbody makes some great straw hats. They are very sturdy and unfazed by water. They are great for outdoors. Give them a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points