Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

summer felt hat ?

Achille

Familiar Face
Hello,
In a recent post scotracen wrote about a hat from Lee in this terms: "The felt is dense and thin (summer hat)".
Could somebody give me some names of hats in such a light felt adaptated to summer weather ??

Thank you
JM

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wear what feels right to you. Back in the day all men didn't own straws that they automatically changed into and out of given the calendar. Lots of average working guys had felt hats on even in warm weather. The fashion sense was not a great concern as can be seen from era-contemporary photos.

Achille

Familiar Face
Hi Twitch,
Theoretically I totaly agree with you. But I have to say that with more than 82¬? this afternoon in Paris my akubra was really hard to wear.
But that's true that our ancestors were less...delicate:eek:

JM

doggieboy

New in Town
That's a great question.

Achille said:
Could somebody give me some names of hats in such a light felt adaptated to summer weather ??
Thank you
JM

What were some of the vintage hats that are lightweight felt that are good hats?

Warlock

Suspended
Twitch said:
Wear what feels right to you. Back in the day all men didn't own straws that they automatically changed into and out of given the calendar. Lots of average working guys had felt hats on even in warm weather. The fashion sense was not a great concern as can be seen from era-contemporary photos.

I agree. Into the sixties our house did not have even a room air conditioner. The bedrooms were upstair. We opened the windows and curtains for some fresh air through the metal mesh screens. Wichita Fall is blistering in high summer.

The thing is, I do not remember that being so bad. Today it would be purgatory.

DOUGLAS

Borsalino pocket hat
Portis Breeze
Dobbs Cross Country
Stetson Week Ender
Stetson Stratoliner

I have more but they are not the brand named type and as Dr Trinidad said some of the vintage Borsalinos are so thin it is increadable.

RBH

Bartender
DOUGLAS said:
Borsalino pocket hat
Portis Breeze
Dobbs Cross Country
Stetson Week Ender
Stetson Stratoliner

I have more but they are not the brand named type and as Dr Trinidad said some of the vintage Borsalinos are so thin it is increadable.

You are so right Douglas, I had not thought of my Stratoliner as a light felt...but it is.
That is just another difference between the Open Road and the Stratoliner.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
I would have guessed that a very light color felt was more important in keeping a cooler head than light weight (thinner felt). Does thin felt really make much difference? Wouldn't a couple air holes in any felt do better than the thinnest felt without them? Does the light hat / dark hat notion prove out?

Achille

Familiar Face
Sure! But here the weather is really wet and today I have really understood the meaning of SWEATband:eusa_doh:

JM

MattC

A-List Customer
A few more names and color vs weight

Knox Vagabond (a great hat)
Lee Adventure
Stetson Playboy

All but one of my leightweight felts is a light color. Both light color and lightweight help. And the best don't have full liners, and instead either have a small liner piece in the very top of the crown (some pasted, some sewen) or the name heat embossed on the felt--or nothing at all.

DOUGLAS

Oh yeah, Matt ,I forgot about the Vagabond. The one I have is white and super thin. Sadly it is a 7-1/2:( Several of mine have perferations at the top or the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch