Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer in Mexico and a Few Hats

portolan

A-List Customer
I just joined this forum before leaving for most of the summer in Mexico. I am in discussions with the Major regarding a new hat and sent him some pics to help the project along....

I thought you all might enjoy a few hat shots reflecting my time in Mexico. We had some major floods. So what happens when I get back to Florida? Screwy Fay hits....and hits and hits....Just shows you can't gauge a storm by 1,2,3,4, 5 alone. This one had minimal wind and maximum rain. Huge problems on Florida's east coast. Anyway, enjoy the pics....I can't wait to see what the Major makes me!

hat6.jpg

hat4.jpg

hat3.jpg

hat.jpg

hat2.jpg

portolan

A-List Customer
Thanks all for the comments.....What do I do in Mexico

well, I lecture on the integration of psychology and theology...my academic discipline and supposed expertise....I watch our river when it floods, I go up into the Sierra and simply enjoy the views. I write (feature article in Catholic Digest this winter - funny, since I am Mennonite!). I work in the orchard. I practice my Spanish and lastly I try and do all I can to help the Mata Ortiz potters. They make beautiful work, but are having a time adjusting to the realities of their new found pottery wealth. Guess that is about it....I need a new hat! Gotta find out if there are any hat stores near here!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Hi Portolan, thanks for the pictures. I was in Mexico (Tampico and DF) recently, and neither the places I visited nor the time-span I was there could ever be considered indicative of general trends there...
I noted some fine looking older men wearing (mostly straw) cowboy style hats; and far fewer young 'uns: they seem all to be baseball fans, if not outright gangstas (or something).
I bought myself a fine tobacco colored straw "panama" hat "hecho en Ecuador" as well as "Hecho en México"...my guess is, it's a Cuenca hat. Bought it in Tardan's shop on the Zócalo in México DF.
At Tampico, there was one fine old crooner, Pepe Cantábrias is his name, performed a very enjoyable (but oh, so very very sentimental!) ranchera music repertoire; he wore a tejana hat (felt western style).
One thing's for sure: I tremendously enjoyed talking to people, very, very nice, love that accent (my Spanish is ...well... learned it in Spain tacca-tacca-tac style), none of that wonderful mexican slow drawl.
Que le vaya bien, amigo!
Pablo

portolan

A-List Customer
Igualmente, mi amigo.....

Where I live in Chihuahua every male has either a white or a black Tejano. They all think I am very rich because I have a number of hats in different colors and styles. I have been offered chickens, a week of work, pottery and a few sisters in exchange for one of my hats. They really live by the number of x's in a hat. I have one white tejano that says 100X on the inside band. Oh my, do they all want that one. I don't think it means a thing, but it surely is a status symbol. Things like beaver, felt or wool are lost on them.....they just want to look at the x's. Wide brim hats are also a real rarity. They just don't exist down there.

Thanks for the message. Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24