Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer weight? Rain?

jlw

One of the Regulars
I am dipping my toe in the fedora waters, and while I am finding no shortage of winter weight hats that I like, finding something for the Georgia summer heat and thunderstorms is proving difficult.

I have a Tilley Airflo hat that I really like, but I would like something a bit more stylish. I've also found a number of straw fedoras/safaris that I like, but my job has me outdoors at times, and a hat that can't handle rain exposure is just wasted money.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Everything at http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?page=2 can be used outdoors. Aside from the Silverbelly color, I have worn my Campdrafts outdoors in all weather - particularly when shooting. They get a bit warm in Summer, but the trade off is that I get good sun protection (I turn the back of my brims down to protect my neck) and the weather and sweat do not ruin my Panama hat. I was thinking of buying an Akubra Range/Reef (Range has more vents and a different band than the Reef) or Balmoral which are hemp and the backs are turned down to protect the neck. I was thinking of wetting them for evaporative cooling.

For a true fedora style, you might look at the Panama hats thread for the start up site and try one of those for a time. Fairly inexpensive and if you only get a few years from it, it is a minor expense while covering your neck to a pretty good extent.

A very inexpensive option is the http://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/category/21/palm-river---economy-palm-leaf-hats.cfm
open crown hat. Buy it close to your size and shape it to suit you. Mine is identical to the Jurrasic Park hat worn by Sam Neill. Was not planned that way, but it came out that way. I use it for heavy yard work and it has lasted pretty well. It does shrink over time, but resizing while a bit damp works.

Good luck - hope you find something that suits you.

Fed

jlw

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I am leaning towards getting a straw fedora or Panama hat and just keeping a plastic rain cover handy.

I also picked up a couple of US made boonie hats that I am treating with Scotch Guard that I will be using for when in the field.

I have an Akubra Zephyr that I use on golf course as well as on the tractor mowing all summer.
It is poly-straw & fears no rain. I have had & gone thru quite a few palm leaf hats but they are heavy & don't breathe that well.
My favorite knock-about hat is a VS ArtLite, vented with liner removed in natural beaver.
I'm going to sweat with a straw or a felt hat in GA humidity. I need some venting to let heat escape & some breeze to blow thru.
Skin cancer has made it so I need the brim for shade. A good wild rag/bandana is also an automatic, wet 'em, wrap 'em around my neck, keep going.

jlw

One of the Regulars
I have an Akubra Zephyr that I use on golf course as well as on the tractor mowing all summer.
It is poly-straw & fears no rain. I have had & gone thru quite a few palm leaf hats but they are heavy & don't breathe that well.
My favorite knock-about hat is a VS ArtLite, vented with liner removed in natural beaver.
I'm going to sweat with a straw or a felt hat in GA humidity. I need some venting to let heat escape & some breeze to blow thru.
Skin cancer has made it so I need the brim for shade. A good wild rag/bandana is also an automatic, wet 'em, wrap 'em around my neck, keep going.

I'm just a few counties south of you. I feel your pain regarding humidity.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I grew up below Macon on the Flint River. Humidity down there is a sauna compared to up here. No gnats too!!!!

I understand about that humidity. I spent a few years stationed at Robins AFB, and my wife is from Macon. It's bad all over middle Ga. but the worst place I have been was Savannah. I have only visited S.Ga. during the winter so it was not so bad. One of my favorite areas is the N. Ga. mountains especially the areas around Helen and Clayton.

jlw

One of the Regulars
I understand about that humidity. I spent a few years stationed at Robins AFB, and my wife is from Macon. It's bad all over middle Ga. but the worst place I have been was Savannah. I have only visited S.Ga. during the winter so it was not so bad. One of my favorite areas is the N. Ga. mountains especially the areas around Helen and Clayton.

Valdosta's humidity makes Savannah's seem pleasant.

Middle GA weather can be tricky. I grew up there (Putnam and Bibb Counties), I have run the air conditioner on Christmas Day, and I've seen snow storms in late March. As the locals say, "If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes."

jkingrph

Practically Family
Valdosta's humidity makes Savannah's seem pleasant.

Middle GA weather can be tricky. I grew up there (Putnam and Bibb Counties), I have run the air conditioner on Christmas Day, and I've seen snow storms in late March. As the locals say, "If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes."

I don't know. We went out to that old pre civil war fort near Savannah one summer. I had on a pair of olive green cotton slacks, and sweat so bad that within about five minutes my niece said it looked like I had wet my pants. We may have hit an especially humidI day, and to be honest it was in the costal marsh. I grew up in Louisiana so know about humidity, also spent a lot of time in Florida while in the AF, but that weekend in Savannah was one of the most uncomfortable I have spent, It was bad inside with air conditioning. Also know about the changes in weather in middle Ga. Spent a week at my in laws one summer and temp was in 110-115 range. The winter of 70-71 was so cold it was the only time I wore the issue wool overcoat, and wanted more. My wife and I transferred to Turkey in fall of 72 and missed the big snowstorm that winter that dropped 15-18 inches , paralyzing the area. My mother in law sent pictures of vehicles stranded on the interstate, and snow over the back of her little poodle out in it. Then two years ago we were there for the cicada hatch, never heard anything like that before or since.

jlw

One of the Regulars
I've been to Savannah in the summer and have toured the fort that you mention and in July no less.

I have an upcoming three day trip there, but that will be before the summer hits. I was offered a job there but turned it down.

Edward

Bartender
I have several Akubra Capricorns, as well as various straws. The Capricorns, being polystraw, can take a little rain. I find them much more practical than real stras for that reason. Better again is my Akubra Riverina. Hotter, but as a vented felt it's the better all rounder, having stood up to both extremes of rain and heat in India and China. I'm very fond of a full-cut linen or cotton cap too, though with that you lose the sun-protection afforded by a brim.

jlw

One of the Regulars
I was going to order this canvas drover hat until I saw that the shipping was more than the cost of the hat. :)

crusher-beige-large.jpg

I went ahead and ordered a Bailey Spencer for days when no rain is forecast, and I will wear the Tilley otherwise during the summer. An Akubra is likely as well at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou