Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunbody Guatemalan Palm Fedora

Victor

One of the Regulars
I am currently the proud owner of an Art Fawcett Montecristi as well as a Sunbody Palm. While they look a bit similar at first they are two different animals and in this case you get what you pay for. They are both summer woven hats and have somewhat similar blocks. The Panama however is much lighter weight and the tightness and refinement of the weave is almost impossible to comprehend. It is truly like linen. On the other hand the sunbody palm looks fine, wears well and is great for knocking around and you don't worry about it getting dirty or damaged. If my Montecristi got stained or damaged I would be heartbroken. If that happened to the sunbody its no big deal. I might even try washing it in the sink. If it looses its shape no big deal, it is a cheap hat.While it has a much coarser weave than a good panama the material is much more flexible and tight than a standard straw hat. It is soft and has the panama "look" So if you want a cheap summer hat that feels soft and comfortable and has a panama look but can be comfortably beat up a bit then by all means buy a Sunbody Palm. If you are ready to pay a little more for a great deal more refinement then you should contact Art Fawcett and get one of his Montecristis.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...that was my intention too in getting a Cuenca- I just want to see if I like a 'Panama' before making a larger investment. If I don't like it- then no big deal.
That and if it were to get stolen, lost or broken, the heartache is not so bad.
...but those finos are looking pretty good- the difference in 'fineness' is very apparent- the finer ones being like 'cloth', as opposed to the Cuencas being more obviously 'straw' in texture.

BT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner