Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses that work well with a Fedora?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Same post from this link - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-smartest-most-timeless-sunglasses.87148/page-2 .

Moscot Lemtosch here. My local spectacle shop carries some Shuron, Rayban, Oliver Peoples, Moscot and bunches of others. I had the luxury of trying them on side by side and chose this model for my face and fashion choice.

I have brown, black, black with clear frames with reading glass lenses (1.5X no prescription). When I desired a new pair of sunglasses I looked to the frames and had custom lenses made. Yes the reading glasses and sunglasses match. For my taste that works best.

i-bdWt6fF-M.jpg
i-fZ84mQD-M.jpg

i-3XrxXMJ-M.jpg

Yes I do wear the sunglasses with fedoras.

i-Vn9CJp5-M.jpg

Other alternative shades -

Ray Bans -

i-f8ZVxLb-M.jpg

i-W68693W-M.jpg

i-QpGz8KN-M.jpg

Vuarnet -

i-cp97ctS-M.jpg

Lemtosh -

i-SNwNhPK-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Just got a new pair and decided to revive this thread.

Love my Wayfarer. First pair of prescription sunglasses back in 96 was Wayfarer and here I am 20 years later with (roughly) the same glasses. The tortoise shell at the bottom are a second pair I bought back in 96 when I wore contact lenses from time to time. The middle pair is from roughly 07 from lenscrafters. I hate those guys. You can see how banged up they are. Polarizing is just a film stuck to the actual lenz. The top ones are my new “New Wayfarer”. I ended up going to Costco (family of 6 with one income, need to save money where you can) and was dreading choosing some x name brand of sunglasses. But was overjoyed when I discovered they carried Ray Ban and Wayfareres. Not the classic but a bit of a modern twist to them. Honestly they seem like a combination of Wayfarer and Predator 2. I Like them all the same.
b6b122560a64c97158609c075da574d2.jpg

7010efe6746580a9d796d40c56753ef6.jpg

e10844b6c39e78dc1aa79f2148be7cc0.jpg

Let me know what you think? Lets see your sunglasses?

Johnny

Excellent choice.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Aviators work well. I have one pair dating back to early fifties. In the second photo, my missus bought me these from a stall at a vintage festival, I have no idea about their history or even if they are modern or not. They just suit the cravat and that's all that I wanted.
hats 070.jpg
hats 039.JPG

Last edited:
Trying to match my sunglasses to the hats that I think they might look best with would be a waste of time, so instead I decided to match them by the approximate dates when I acquired them. First up, my oldest shades and my oldest hat:

lRduk6h.jpg

The hat is an Akubra Fed IV in Dark Brown. The sunglasses are of the cheap no-name variety. I got them at Wal-Mart about 15-20 years ago, and they've somehow managed to not get damaged or lost in all that time; best $25 I ever spent.

Next:

UVBHz2r.jpg

My Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green and a pair of Maui Jim Breakers with a matte Tortoiseshell frame and Maui Jim's HCL Bronze polarized lenses.

Last, but not least:

lu6ZCFs.jpg

My Winston fedora and Ray-Ban Aviator shades with "pilot shape" polarized lenses. I included two photos for this pairing because I normally wear the hat with the brim snapped up like a Pork Pie, but with the brim snapped down it qualifies as a stingy brim fedora and therefore is in keeping with the topic of this thread. :cool:

I'm not sure any of the glasses go with any of my hats, but I wear the hats for sun protection and the shades because my eyes are sensitive to bright light, so as long as they do their jobs I don't really care.

You've written about similarities. Those shades are pretty much exactly my Rx specs, which I wear with clip-on shades in the sun (or with fresh snow on the ground).

Good taste, indeed...
I wish I could find another pair, but they're a bit of a mystery. I had them for a few days and liked them so much that I went back to get another pair as a "back up", but couldn't find them anywhere. And any identification that might have been on the frames was worn off long ago. The closest I've found are my Rx frames, but the lens shape on them is more "square" than "oval".

Speaking of tastes, mine appear to be very specific. I got my first bifocals in 2004 (the aforementioned Rx frames). Two years later when my insurance allowed it I decided to get another pair as a back up, so I looked at what they had and selected a pair of frames. When I got them home two or three weeks later I compared them to my previous frames and discovered, two years apart, I had chosen the exact same frames. :rolleyes:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The lid is a Royal Stetson clone of it's own Open Road. Still an Open Road as far as I'm concerned. The shades? My optometrist told me they were a well known designer brand, but I forgot which designer brand they are. To me, they're overpriced prescriprion China made junk that my insurance paid for. I like the polarized lenses but I hate these uncomfortable China junk designer frames!
Royal_Stetson_8_A.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana