Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders for Women

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I won this today, and I think it suits this thread pretty well. From 1938.
mccall582.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I love that whenever I'm having a dilemma something on topic will pop up in new posts here.

I love to wear some guys apparel and mix it with feminine stuff (ex: fedora and pearls)

I bought a pair of guys suspenders. But can't figure how to wear them. i hate that you have to wear the shirt tucked in, considering I'm a plus sized girl, I think it makes me look heavier and nerdy. I tried them with a skirt, and it made it hang oddly and become shorter.

any ideas of making them work? I realize it's kinda different than the topic we're on here, but you ladies are the only ones I know of that could make this work.

here is me in them for Halloween (I was a dead stagehand)
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/PA291635.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mike in Seattle said:
Most of what you're showing are dirndls and only a few are suspenders per se.
I think it depends- in fashion terminology this constitutes as a "suspender" look for women. I do have dirndl patterns, too, but the "suspender skirt" was a different look but in the same class of "folk inspired wear" of the late 30s. Women did wear suspenders, but it was usually, if I was not mistaken, a highly contoversial look unless it was done with a touch of "whimsy" like in the images we've been posting. I know in the 20s some daring women wore men's suspenders. I'm not as up to speed on post 40s looks- but I have seen some suspender skirts from the 50s- but most often in the same fabric as the skirt they were paired with. Does anyone know- was there a time when women's suspenders were sold solely as an accessory without the "folk" look tied to it in the "golden era"?

And thanks, gals, for the comment on the new pattern :) I'm really excited to get it! I now have to work up enough gumption to do more embroidery. haha.

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
I have a thing for women in menswear. I love suspenders, I need to find a nice leather-trimmed pair of braces for myself actually! I'm also a huge fan of all those adorable 30s style jumpers, I need to make a few for dancing. How comfy and adorable! Yay suspenders :)

Joonie

Familiar Face
Hmmmm...

As being an "endowed" woman, these outfits are a nightmare waiting to happen! They seem to look good on the willowy type that I'll never be.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
The look I was trying to replicate for the Arts Council's "works of art" float in the Halloween parade:
wg3-58.jpg

While I don't have the 'well-endowed' problem, I'm awfully short-waisted, which makes it hard to tuck in any kind of top that's not tidily tailored.

4243478494_f5d4d077bf_o.jpg

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Alas in my opinion....this look....(either dirndl or true suspenders)...only looks good on the less then generously endowed.

So for me..cute to see in ads and pictures, but I would never in a million years try it.

I remember years ago (80s) the uniforms the poor waitresses at Swiss Chalet restaurants had to wear. :confused: They have gone away from the 'Swiss' aspect of the chain, but at that time, the uniform was a dirndl-type skirt with built in suspenders. The real problem was how close together the suspenders were. It was fine for the A and B cup ladies, who could just wear the suspenders over the breast, but anything more and oh boy. Either the suspenders were worn over the breasts, which squished them down in the middle only, on the outside of the breasts, which just squished them closer together, or in between the breasts, which then pushed them out. One woman I remember would put one on the outside and one in the middle. I always felt so bad for those poor women.

I just got a pair of wide-leg drapey menswear trousers that have suspender buttons. I am going to give it a try and see what happens (D cup, could be good, could be bad.) I think it will depend on exactly where the buttons are placed. Too close to the middle and squish city. Far enough over and with the right top, I think it could work.

So, any suggestions about what is the best sort of top to wear under suspenders?

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
kymeratale, I think that any sort of short sleeve blouse, something really feminine with a peter pan collar/something similar, and perhaps a bit of shaping in the sleevecap would be really cute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff